How to depose a bishop?

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
khomes
Jr Member
Faith: True Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Matthewites- Metropolitan Kirykos

How to depose a bishop?

Post by khomes »

Hello all!

I just had a quick question for those with knowledge of the canons and/or patristic tradition. How does a synod depose a bishop? I mean, according to the canons, how is it done? does it need 100% unanimous consent of the bishops (minus the one on trial, of course) or is it simple majority? does the size of the synod matter? would it make a difference if the whole synod was? lets say 3 bishops or as high as 100 bishops? and in the cases in history where we see many bishops and saints who were wrongfully deposed either on false allegations or for wrongful reasons, how did those bishops act? did they ignore the false deposition and continue to serve as a bishop or did they honour it and cease liturgical functions until the situation was cleared up?

thanks in advance.

I was baptised into the Genuine Orthodox Church with the name Matthew on March 1 2016

"Preserve my children: patience, compassion, wisdom, gentleness, humility, silence, fasting, prayer. Prayer gives humility, modesty, and obedience. He who keeps these reasons that lead to the imitation of Christ, provides for the salvation of his immortal soul; he who despises them, despises his own salvation."
- St. Matthew the New Confessor

Agios_Irineos

Re: How to depose a bishop?

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Hello Kaeleb,

Hopefully you do not have a bishop in mind that you wish to depose!

If you are looking for the mechanics of a spiritual court, I do not know that the canons will provide that level of specificity (I am not a canonist and have not done a thorough search). You will find that many current jurisidictions have "statutes" that govern their ecclesiastical courts, but even they are not that specific. The canons will tell who can bring charges of what kind and under what conditions. They will also tell who cannot bring charges. I think the 2nd and 4th Ecumenical council mentions this. The Council of Carthage calls for accusations against a bishop to be heard by 12 bishops (and against a priest by 6). The canons also lay out the penalty on the accuser should the accusation not be sustained.

As to how wrognly deposed bishops have acted, you might look at this one example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synod_of_ ... #Aftermath

khomes
Jr Member
Faith: True Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Matthewites- Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by khomes »

HieromonkIrineos wrote:

Hello Kaeleb,

Hopefully you do not have a bishop in mind that you wish to depose!

If you are looking for the mechanics of a spiritual court, I do not know that the canons will provide that level of specificity (I am not a canonist and have not done a thorough search). You will find that many current jurisidictions have "statutes" that govern their ecclesiastical courts, but even they are not that specific. The canons will tell who can bring charges of what kind and under what conditions. They will also tell who cannot bring charges. I think the 2nd and 4th Ecumenical council mentions this. The Council of Carthage calls for accusations against a bishop to be heard by 12 bishops (and against a priest by 6). The canons also lay out the penalty on the accuser should the accusation not be sustained.

As to how wrognly deposed bishops have acted, you might look at this one example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synod_of_ ... #Aftermath

No I don't want to depose anyone! Lol.
I'm just curious. Now what I'm really trying to find out if a bishop is falsely condemned for heresy what they might do canonically speaking. Ignore it? Accept it?
Seems like they would be admitting to heresy and if they were falsely condemned that wouldn't seem right to go by that false deposition. Also in terms of our rather small TOC synod's which many have less than 12 bishops. How does it work? Complete consensus minus the bishop on trial or just simple majority. I couldn't find anything online either.

I was baptised into the Genuine Orthodox Church with the name Matthew on March 1 2016

"Preserve my children: patience, compassion, wisdom, gentleness, humility, silence, fasting, prayer. Prayer gives humility, modesty, and obedience. He who keeps these reasons that lead to the imitation of Christ, provides for the salvation of his immortal soul; he who despises them, despises his own salvation."
- St. Matthew the New Confessor

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Glad to see you back, Kaleb / khomes !
You asked imaginative questions, which make us think.
Waiting, too, for more answers.