Annunciation: Mary at the Well - NY TIMES 1/30/16

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Annunciation: Mary at the Well - NY TIMES 1/30/16

Post by Maria »

A detail of the baptistery painting from Deir ez-Zor, Syria, that may portray the Virgin Mary. Credit Tony De Camillo/Yale University Art Gallery

An annunciation scene from a Byzantine 12th-century illuminated manuscript. ...France

... the second-century biography of Mary’s early life, usually called the Protevangelium of James, describes how one day, during a break from her work, “she took the pitcher and went forth to draw water, and behold, a voice said: ‘Hail, you are highly favored, the Lord is with you, blessed are you among women.’ ...

...with the new interpretation of the figure, in connection with the Eastern iconography that came later, the lines invite a rather evident meaning. They appear to represent a motion toward the woman’s body and a spark of activity within it, as if something invisible were approaching and entering her — an incarnation.

Please click this link to view the entire article, which is well worth the read:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/opini ... share&_r=1

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Annunciation: Mary at the Well - NY TIMES 1/30/16

Post by Barbara »

I saw this the day it was published but had not gotten around to posting it.
I am so glad that YOU did, Maria, for I could not have copied those incredible pictures which look almost as real here as the originals must.

Isn't that remarkable ? Finally a useful article for our purposes here from the NYT. Really well written by an expert , Michael Peppard, who argues his case well.

The title is eye-catching : "Is This the First Image of the Virgin Mary ? ".

It was particularly interesting for me, having traveled to see the original site of Dura Europos and also to the far removed Deir-az-Zor.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

interesting!

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Cyprian »

Yes, thank you, Maria. It is interesting.