Vladimir Moss, Apocalypse, the Book of the End

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Vladimir Moss, Apocalypse, the Book of the End

Post by Maria »

http://www.orthodoxchristianbooks.com/d ... HE_END.pdf

My husband read the first few chapters. He says that it is very well written from an Orthodox Christian perspective.
A MUST READ.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity

Re: Vladimir Moss, Apocalypse, the Book of the End

Post by Cyprian »

I don't think I would classify this commentary as a MUST read. Commentaries on the Apocalypse by the Holy Fathers of the Church are preferrable, in my opinion.

The Book of the End is problematic in certain areas, as are some of the other writings of Vladimir Moss in recent years. It's lamentable that some of his writings have missed the mark as of late, since he is clearly a talented writer, and he has produced some very helpful and insightful writings in the past.

There are several commentaries by the holy saints on the Apocalypse available in English translation, and some may be accessed online for free, like the ones by St. Andrew of Caesarea, St. Bede, St. Victorinus, St. Irenaeus' comments on portions of the Apocalypse, etc.

I think it would be more useful to start with those...

RaphaCam
Faith: not Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

Post by RaphaCam »

How can we find good Patristic commentary to the Revelation of St. John, though? On the internet, I could only find the one by St. Victorinus of Pettau, and it was not very helpful: his reading is millenarist and doesn't go on about particular symbols. I'm aware Venerable Bede, Oecumenius, Primasius, Apringius and Andrew of Caesarea all wrote extant commentary, but I'd like to have some light about which can be found around, which are nearer to Orthodox eschatological tradition, and which are more worth-buying. I'm almost buying ACCS (I have no problem with buying it for other parts of Scripture, but an interpretation of the Revelation can be too easily twisted). I love this book so much, but I feel so uncapable of grasping it.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian

Post by Maria »

The Orthodox Bible Study is quite good for their commentary on Revelation.

Basically, Revelation focuses on the Feast of the Lamb -- the Divine Liturgy.

And the warnings are for all times. The AntiChrist has been with us from the beginning as the Early Christians felt that Christ was coming very soon, and that St. John would not die but would see the Second Coming.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

RaphaCam
Faith: not Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

Post by RaphaCam »

Maria wrote:

Basically, Revelation focuses on the Feast of the Lamb -- the Divine Liturgy.

Yes, this is a reading that finally made the book make sense to me the time I first read about it. Real epiphany.