How is Traditional Orthodox Christianity lived in Eastern Europe?

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
RaphaCam
Faith: not Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

How is Traditional Orthodox Christianity lived in Eastern Europe?

Post by RaphaCam »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the origins of Old Calendarism are in whole communities resisting to particular reforms (most notably the calendar reform in Greece), but I'm curious about how it is lived today: are there still villages, cities, former World Orthodox dioceses, etc., that hold to TOC, or at least have it as a majoritary faith? Or has it become a missionary or niche thing (as it is in the West, and as, excuse me the parallel, as Tridentine Roman Catholics are probably today in the whole world with the exception of one Brazilian city) even in countries such as Greece and Romania, where the movement seems to have thrived the most (again, correct me if I'm wrong)?

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: How is Traditional Orthodox Christianity lived in Eastern Europe?

Post by Barbara »

It's exactly a year later since RaphaCam posed his question. If he is still around, maybe he could explain a bit better. I got confused as perhaps did other readers as to what he is after here.

I don't think the Russian TOCs are strong in Central Europe [ as the inhabitants of those countries prefer to be called ].
Only the Met Agafangel group has a sister Old Calendarist Church of Bulgaria headed by Met Photios, and its own Bishop Anfim [ I think the name is ] in Moldova. Then there is an Old Calendarist Romanian Synod, too.

I don't think too much is known about these particular groups except that they are active.

Now, moving across the Atlantic Ocean, which Brazilian city is the exception ? Does this mean that the whole city is Traditional Catholic ?

RaphaCam
Faith: not Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

Re: How is Traditional Orthodox Christianity lived in Eastern Europe?

Post by RaphaCam »

I was just wondering if Old Calendarist groups might still have whole towns or even regions under them or if they would mostly represent niche things, just like Orthodoxy in general is niche in the West (maybe with the exception of parts of Guatemala).

The Brazilian city I was referring to is Campos dos Goytacazes, upstate Rio de Janeiro. The entire now 300-thousand inhabitants town would worship in the Tridentine Mass until the 80's, when, long story short, their bishop got retired, but the new one refused to keep the Tridentine mass and made such a mess that most priests local united under the retired one, who eventually entered in communion with SSPX (famous traditionalist group). I believe most of the city eventually went into the Novus Ordo mass, but Traditionalists are still a major cultural and religious force there. Funny thing this whole thing happened in the least Catholic state in Brazil.