Unceasing Prayer - Essential for Eternal Life

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Unceasing Prayer - Essential for Eternal Life

Post by Maria »

We must pray without ceasing, every day of our lives, and acquire the unceasing prayer of the heart.

For a year now, I have been trying to practice this prayer, but it has evaded me. Recently, I was instructed by my spiritual father to pray the Trisagion Prayers throughout the day. Suddenly with the help of the Holy Trinity, I can pray even during sleep. These prayers comfort and help me in my struggles to pray.

Glory to Thee O Lord, Glory to Thee.

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth, Who art everywhere present, and fillest all things, Treasury of Good Things, and Giver of Life, Come and dwell with us, cleanse us of all impurity and save our souls, O Good One.

This prayer is a powerful reminder that only the pure in heart can see God. This is why I feel the urgent need to banish all thoughts that are not of God, and avoid any secular thoughts, needless entertainment, diversions, concerns, and temptations of the world.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me and save me.

Drive far away from me all thoughts that are not of God. Help me, dear Lord, to be attentive to my prayers, to listen to the words of Holy Scripture, to cease worrying about the clothes I will wear, the food I will eat, and the house wherein I live, for all these things will be provided for me. Help me, O Lord, to trust completely in Thee.

Holy God, Holy Immortal, Holy Mighty One, have mercy on us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
Both now and ever and to the ages of ages. Amen.

O Most Holy Trinity, source of all Goodness, help me to realize that for the righteous all Eternity will be glorious, incomprehensible, and wonderful. Help me and save me, O Holy Trinity, Who art Holy, Mighty, and Immortal.

Help me to remember this hymn sung at the Divine Liturgy:

• We who mystically represent the Cherubim, and sing to the life-giving Trinity the Thrice-holy hymn, let us now lay aside all earthly care: that we may receive the King of all, who comes invisibly upborne by the Angelic Hosts. Allelulia. Alleluia. Alleluia.

O Wonder! O Joy! O Delight! Come and cleanse me of all impurity, and save me, O Good and Gracious One.

Most Holy Trinity, have mercy on us.
O Lord, blot out all our sins.
O Master, pardon all our iniquities.
O Holy One, visit and heal our infirmities, for Thy Name's sake.

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
Both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

Again, and again, in praying to God, how can I not avoid feeling unworthy. Yes, O Lord, O Master, O Holy One, cleanse me from all impurity, blot out all my sins, pardon and remit my iniquities, for I beg of Thee to heal my infirmities.

Our Father, Who art in the Heavens,
Hallowed be Thy name, Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.

Forgive us, O Lord, and help us to forgive all who have upset, offended, injured, or caused us any hurt, for to the measure that we forgive, we will be forgiven.

O Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me and forgive me a sinner.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Re: Unceasing Prayer - Essential for Eternal Life

Post by Maria »

Today, I came across this blog, which I have seen before. However, this time it stuck such a resounding chord that I felt impelled to share it with you all as it was so similar to a dream I experienced today in which I was urged to to examine my own conscience and truly repent of all my sins before it is too late as we do not know when we will be called into the Afterlife.

Suddenly I found myself in a dark square. Frightened and overcome by trembling, I ran in different directions, looking for a way out of this terrible situation. Suddenly, I saw hundreds of people coming. They were all laypeople. Their faces were dark, smitten with an everlasting sadness, with faces just like my own face.

“Who are you?” I asked them.

They answered: “ We have suddenly passed over to Eternity, just as you have.”

What I felt at that moment defies description! Fear and trembling permeated my entire being. Just then, a radiant man, whose countenance was veiled by the light he was emitting, came to me and said, “Follow me.” And he took me to the place where the souls of the dead are judged.

To read the entire article, please visit http://stjohntheforerunnerblog.blogspot ... h.html?m=1

Maria
Archon

Re: Unceasing Prayer - Essential for Eternal Life

Post by Maria »

Those who pray faithfully to the Theotokos daily will be saved because she will intercede to God for all those who honor her.

This hymn to the Theotokos is powerful and is an ancient prayer of Christians.

• O Protection of Christians that cannot be put to shame.
    Mediation unto the Creator most constant,
    O despise not the suppliant voices of those who have sinned,
    But be thou quick, O Good One, to come unto our aid,
    Who in faith cry unto thee.
    Hasten to intercession, and speed thou to make supplication.
    Thou who doest ever protect, O Theotokos, them that honor thee.