Becoming True Orthodox in East Tennessee

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Keigan

Becoming True Orthodox in East Tennessee

Post by Keigan »

Good evening everyone! My name is Keigan Troutt, I live in East Tennessee at the foot of the Great Smoky Mountains, and I believe True Orthodoxy is the faith handed down from Christ through his Apostles. However, all Orthodox parishes near me are new calendar (The Greeks even have pews and an organ!) and through my last two years of study and prayer, have come to accept God leading me to True Orthodoxy. I was raised Pentecostal, have explored other Protestant denominations including Anglicanism, Roman Catholicism, and Messianic Judaism, and I'm convinced beyond any shadow of a doubt that my soul, and the souls of my wife and 3 sons, need True Orthodoxy. I have reached out to a few True Orthodox jurisdictions and the only one that has gotten back to me is Metropolitan John of the Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia but I want to make sure I take the right path before making any commitments. Which jurisdiction do you recommend? I realize that this may be a loaded question.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: Becoming True Orthodox in East Tennessee

Post by Justice »

Keigan wrote:

Good evening everyone! My name is Keigan Troutt, I live in East Tennessee at the foot of the Great Smoky Mountains, and I believe True Orthodoxy is the faith handed down from Christ through his Apostles. However, all Orthodox parishes near me are new calendar (The Greeks even have pews and an organ!) and through my last two years of study and prayer, have come to accept God leading me to True Orthodoxy. I was raised Pentecostal, have explored other Protestant denominations including Anglicanism, Roman Catholicism, and Messianic Judaism, and I'm convinced beyond any shadow of a doubt that my soul, and the souls of my wife and 3 sons, need True Orthodoxy. I have reached out to a few True Orthodox jurisdictions and the only one that has gotten back to me is Metropolitan John of the Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia but I want to make sure I take the right path before making any commitments. Which jurisdiction do you recommend? I realize that this may be a loaded question.

Welcome Keigan,

Glory be to God for you inquiring into Traditional Orthodox, I look forward to getting to know you better. I myself can't speak for which jurisdiction as I'm in the same situation as you are. Personally, I'm looking into these jurisdictions:

Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church
Russian True Orthodox Church
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos

Keigan

Post by Keigan »

Thanks Justice. Earlier today by looking through the forums I figured out that you are the owner of the YouTube channel I subscribed to last night. Good videos!

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Keigan wrote:

Thanks Justice. Earlier today by looking through the forums I figured out that you are the owner of the YouTube channel I subscribed to last night. Good videos!

Thank you!

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Keigan,

Which jurisdiction do you recommend is a loaded question in this particular forum. Let me suggest an different lens by which to view this question.

What is it you seek? Yes, you seek the true faith. This is most important. But what is the expression of this faith? I don't mean culturally (Byzantine, Slavic, Arabic etc). I mean how is it that you wish to live out this faith? True Orthodoxy in North America suffers from small numbers and great distances. It also suffers from insularity. In the age of the internet this problem has been exacerbated in that you will find many people who call themselves "True Orthodox" who have never set foot in a True Orthodox mission or parish. The idea that one can be Orthodox outside of a community of Orthodox believers (save the hermits and ascetics!) is an innovation on a grand scale.

So you have no True Orthodox jurisdiction near you. How do you plan to solve this problem? Do you plan to move to a city with a True Orthodox parish? Do you plan to find a jurisdiction nearby, travel a few times a year for liturgy and pray in your home the other times? Do you plan, once you have converted and become firm in that faith to evangelize and bring True Orthodoxy to your town where no parish now exists?

True Orthodoxy is the True Faith. It is not a light to be hidden under a bushel. If you've found it, you should spread it! Unless you have plans to move, spreading the faith is vital to your own salvation. If the jurisdiction you pick is not missionary, I fear that no matter how eager you may be, the isolation will lead to the withering of your faith and the possibility of falling away.

There are many good priests and good parishes out there. But which jurisdiction will support you in your faith?

Good luck and may God bless you in your journey.

Bp. Irineos

Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

Justice wrote:
Keigan wrote:

Welcome Keigan,

Glory be to God for you inquiring into Traditional Orthodox, I look forward to getting to know you better. I myself can't speak for which jurisdiction as I'm in the same situation as you are. Personally, I'm looking into these jurisdictions:

I was reading this and noticed you both the seem in a similar situation I’m am in and age with a family , I was wondering what you guys eventually went with , I have gained the most insight from the Russian spiritual side , however have felt the goc noticed earlier when to get out of the heresies of ecumenism earlier , but also believe providence has led and is working with the Russian church , however I feel roac seems to be the first to get out of the faltering rocor before the Cyprian innovation polluted things .

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Orthodox in michigan wrote:
Justice wrote:
Keigan wrote:

Welcome Keigan,

I was reading this and noticed you both the seem in a similar situation I’m am in and age with a family , I was wondering what you guys eventually went with , I have gained the most insight from the Russian spiritual side , however have felt the goc noticed earlier when to get out of the heresies of ecumenism earlier , but also believe providence has led and is working with the Russian church , however I feel roac seems to be the first to get out of the faltering rocor before the Cyprian innovation polluted things .

There's a parish in Redford Michigan according to the American GOC-Stephanos website. Are you close to Redford OIM?