ORTHODOX DOGMAS AND ANATHEMAS

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: ORTHODOX DOGMAS AND ANATHEMAS

Post by Maria »

jdigrande wrote:

So in the event that someone wanted to convert from another True Orthodox Church like RTOC- they would have to be baptized in the GOC?

That would be an "ask your priest or bishop" type of question.

Was the original baptism correct?

If the original baptism was done by sprinkling over a hospital bed where the patient was in danger of death, then even that form would be considered correct.

There is also water in the form of humidity, which is present in sand and in the air, so a newly born infant who is blue in the face and struggling for life could be baptized by a nurse or doctor as it is lifted up in the air three times in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Miracles have been worked in this manner where a dying child has been revived. If the child survives, then the priest would complete the Holy Mysteries of Initiation by Holy Chrismation and Holy Communion. There would be no need to repeat the baptism.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jdigrande
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by jdigrande »

my question concerns someone who would have been triple immersed like normal in an TOC church

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

jdigrande wrote:

my question concerns someone who would have been triple immersed like normal in an TOC church

Again, that would be a question to ask your priest.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

someguy
Jr Member

Post by someguy »

jdigrande wrote:

So in the event that someone wanted to convert from another True Orthodox Church like RTOC- they would have to be baptized in the GOC?

My understanding and in my experience is that most traditional/true orthodox receive converts via chrismation/confirmation, meaning if they have had a canonical orthodox baptism via a full body tri immersion (in the name of the holy trinity).

The stumbling block for many I think is that other "orthodox" churches also baptize via tri immersion such as the coptic, assyrian, armenian, syriac and other classed oriental orthodox churches though they do not chrismate in an ecumenical orthodox confession so to my knowledge most traditional/true orthodox would baptize these converts.

My knowledge of the ancient canon law of the holy fathers says to not rebaptize those who have had a tri immersion though receive them in a correct confession whilst repenting as there were always orthodox heretics/schismatics throughout the ages. I think though as time has passed the branches of oriental orthodox churches have changed further from the ecumenical orthodox dogma so most would baptize and chrismate to receive converts.

Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

My understanding was archbishop Gregory did leave the ROAC in schism, however i have heard Met kirykos was forced out . Also was some other bishops later under what is now GOC-Stephnos. Also not all of the Priests under Met kirykos were rebaptized .

Archbishop Gregory only has one bishop with him who has very doubtful legitimate concration Bishop John , Metropolitan Kirykos has a full Snyod of Bishops and as was mentioned has the historical records of the church of the Matthewites so i feel even though they may share some view points there is no real comparison of how much real difference there is between the two considering Archbishop gregory on one of his videos thought St Matthew as the first Schismatic of the old calendarists.