Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Agios_Irineos

Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Our St. Juliana ministry followed up a big Easter distribution with another 35 lunches where we went out to the bridges and underpasses mainly in Pflugerville and North Austin to find those in need. This effort was planned by our altar server Peter, and everyone pitched in after liturgy to bring food and help make the sack lunches.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren

Post by Maria »

What type of sandwiches did you offer?

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

An assortment of lunch meats, also apples, a salty snack, a sweet snack, and bottled water, and a prayer card in each bag.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

what did the prayer card say ? I hope it lists your parish, too.
What a NICE idea of your Reader Peter's.
I think the salty snack is a great offering because so many homeless would be suffering from adrenal fatigue due to precarious living. Salt is the absolute most important mineral for the adrenals to start to recharge and rejuvenate. I bet 95 % of these people would be craving salt for that reason but may not even be consciously aware of it.

What else does your St Juliana Ministry do ? I am sure that is St Juliana Olshanskaya / Lazarevskaya as the heavenly patroness. What a great endeavor.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Barbara wrote:

what did the prayer card say ? I hope it lists your parish, too.
What a NICE idea of your Reader Peter's.
I think the salty snack is a great offering because so many homeless would be suffering from adrenal fatigue due to precarious living. Salt is the absolute most important mineral for the adrenals to start to recharge and rejuvenate. I bet 95 % of these people would be craving salt for that reason but may not even be consciously aware of it.

What else does your St Juliana Ministry do ? I am sure that is St Juliana Olshanskaya / Lazarevskaya as the heavenly patroness. What a great endeavor.

The prayer card has the evening prayer to Christ from the Jordanville Prayer book and contact information for our parish. The St. Juliana Ministry is primarily focused on outreach to the homeless in the metro Austin area. They do feedings, hygiene kits, winter supplies. They've also done baby blankets for a maternity home, helped meet food emergencies for local families and occasional cash benevolence for local residents. The bulk of the homeless work is done by one of our faithful women in the parish and her family. Today we all pitched in to help and Peter and I drove around 100 miles finding people in need on the streets.

someguy
Jr Member

Post by someguy »

Bishop_Irineos wrote:

I drove around 100 miles finding people in need

wow this is awesome as true orthodox parishes that i've seen are more isolated/enclosed rather than evangelical/alms giving?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

someguy wrote:
Bishop_Irineos wrote:

I drove around 100 miles finding people in need

wow this is awesome as true orthodox parishes that i've seen are more isolated/enclosed rather than evangelical/alms giving?

Yes, this is a wonderful witness.

My GOC parish under Archbishop Stephanos in New York also has an active outreach. I believe that it is safer to work in a group. This also helps to create a sense of a loving community much like the time of Christ when people said of the Christians, "See how they love one another."

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.