The AOM and Pre-schism Western Iconography

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

The AOM and Pre-schism Western Iconography

Post by Justice »

Has the True Orthodox Metropolia under Met. John shown an interest in restoring the ancient western styles of iconography? Considering it's the only True Orthodox jurisdiction that uses a western-rite.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: The AOM and Pre-schism Western Iconography

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

Has the True Orthodox Metropolia under Met. John shown an interest in restoring the ancient western styles of iconography? Considering it's the only True Orthodox jurisdiction that uses a western-rite.

They are mainly interested in restoring the Sarum rite and in translating the Latin daily services into English for their parishes to use.

Do not forget that many of the ancient Irish monks were actually Eastern Orthodox, and that the Norman conquest of England was for the purposes of establishing the Roman Pope over the Irish and English peoples.

http://orthodoxinfo.com/general/irishor ... hurch.aspx

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Maria wrote:
Justice wrote:

They are mainly interested in restoring the Sarum rite and in translating the Latin daily services into English for their parishes to use.

Do not forget that many of the ancient Irish monks were actually Eastern Orthodox, and that the Norman conquest of England was for the purposes of establishing the Roman Pope over the Irish and English peoples.

http://orthodoxinfo.com/general/irishor ... hurch.aspx

That's good they're at least restoring the Sarum rite, though it would be better if they would restore the iconography that went along with it.

Yes, we should remember that the Irish were Orthodox. That's why I think we should restore their church traditions.

Suaidan
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Metropolia of the Americas

Post by Suaidan »

Considering the experimentation I have seen with Western iconography in the modern age I think we're ok with the standard spectrum of Orthodox iconography as is

Fr Joseph Suaidan (Suaiden, same guy)