M4.4 quake hits La Verne, Calif. 8/29/2018 02:33:28 UT

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

M4.4 quake hits La Verne, Calif. 8/29/2018 02:33:28 UT

Post by Maria »

Yes, I felt it as the entire living room shook East and West. The epicenter was to the East in La Verne.
There was an immediate aftershock less than one minute later at 02:34:17 UT with a magnitude of 3.4.
Both quakes were quite shallow, so we really rocked and rolled in the alluvial fan.

People in the San Gabriel, San Fernando, and Los Angeles valley and flood basins felt it even more than we who live in the foothills due to liquid faction, where the sandy soil seems to shake like jelly.

Although shallow earthquakes can cause more damage, deeper quakes can trigger more earthquakes.

The two relatively small earthquakes felt like one. Even though I visited the USGS site immediately, it took almost 30 minutes before the earthquakes were verified.

Please pray for us as big ones (M8-9) are predicted.

http://www.scsn.org/index.php/2018/08/2 ... -la-verne/

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: M4.4 quake hits La Verne, Calif. 8/29/2018 02:33:28 UT

Post by Barbara »

Wow, I didn't hear about this.
Sorry you had such a frightening experience. It's unnerving always to be in an earthquake.

Does M4 indicate 4 on the Richter scale ? Or is there a different ranking system now ?
I noticed you wrote M8-9 predicted. Sounds awful, but rarely do those prognostications turn out [ trying to be comforting ].

Did anything fall over or mainly the sensation of being on a ship in high waves perhaps from what you described ?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Wow, I didn't hear about this.
Sorry you had such a frightening experience. It's unnerving always to be in an earthquake.

Does M4 indicate 4 on the Richter scale ? Or is there a different ranking system now ?
I noticed you wrote M8-9 predicted. Sounds awful, but rarely do those prognostications turn out [ trying to be comforting ].

Did anything fall over or mainly the sensation of being on a ship in high waves perhaps from what you described ?

This earthquake was not a long one, for we live in the foothills. Those in the valley and in the flood plains experienced more shaking, so things might have fallen from shelves. When earthquakes are in he 6's and 7's, then rocking and rolling is felt more acutely, and then there is danger of glass breaking and things falling over. We have our bookcases strapped to the wall.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Bookcases strapped to the walls ? Wow, that's an innovation. And a most useful one ; I remember in that famous 7.1 San Francisco earthquake awhile back, a number of the books cascaded out of my main bookcase. What a mess to pick them up and rearrange them. The whole bookcase did not fall over, thank goodness.

Is the strap aimed more at keeping the books in or the bookcase itself vertical ?

Another idea which I thought of myself to put the water heater on a solid footing, and strap that [ with that metal strapping stuff with the holes in it, if you know what I mean ] to the furnace. Later, I saw that stores do sell some similar arrangement for the tying together of the water heater with the furnace or other heavy unit, but I like mine better.