Regarding Silouan of Mt Athos

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Regarding Silouan of Mt Athos

Post by Justice »

Is Silouan of Mt Athos considered a saint among the True Orthodox? I've heard his name circulate a couple of times.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Regarding Silouan of Mt Athos

Post by Barbara »

Oh, no, not at all. He was promoted by his disciple Sophrony [Sakharov] who founded a monastery of St John the Baptist in Essex, England. A lot of Westerners heard about Orthodoxy via this monastery, so somehow Silouan achieved unmerited status, in my opinion. That's why a lot of converts are so wild about Silouan and Sophrony. But Sophrony was a Name-Worshipper, as can be seen by his book "We Shall See Him As He Is". This book is published by the famous convert press, St Herman of Alaska. Many of their books are very good, if not excellent, such as the Lives of the Optina Elders and various TRUE Elders of Russia.

But this editorial choice was dreadful. There was another book by Sophrony published by the OCA's press called "On Prayer" which likewise pushes Name-Worshipping. That one was published 20 years ago this year. That says to me that this work probably generated the interest in Sophrony by the liberal wings of Russian Orthodoxy in the West.

Why is it that this sort of False Elder always attracts crowds of Americans and others who exhibit a paucity of discernment ?
This pattern seems to repeat over and over.

Now Silouan has a men's monastery in California named after him. This was the choice of the OCA founders. It's that type who thinks False Elder Silouan was so worthy of emulation by monastics.
Terrible choice, in my opinion, when there are SO MANY wonderful Saints after which to name a new monastery.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Barbara wrote:

Oh, no, not at all. He was promoted by his disciple Sophrony [Sakharov] who founded a monastery of St John the Baptist in Essex, England. A lot of Westerners heard about Orthodoxy via this monastery, so somehow Silouan achieved unmerited status, in my opinion. That's why a lot of converts are so wild about Silouan and Sophrony. But Sophrony was a Name-Worshipper, as can be seen by his book "We Shall See Him As He Is". This book is published by the famous convert press, St Herman of Alaska. Many of their books are very good, if not excellent, such as the Lives of the Optina Elders and various TRUE Elders of Russia.

But this editorial choice was dreadful. There was another book by Sophrony published by the OCA's press called "On Prayer" which likewise pushes Name-Worshipping. That one was published 20 years ago this year. That says to me that this work probably generated the interest in Sophrony by the liberal wings of Russian Orthodoxy in the West.

Why is it that this sort of False Elder always attracts crowds of Americans and others who exhibit a paucity of discernment ?
This pattern seems to repeat over and over.

Now Silouan has a men's monastery in California named after him. This was the choice of the OCA founders. It's that type who thinks False Elder Silouan was so worthy of emulation by monastics.
Terrible choice, in my opinion, when there are SO MANY wonderful Saints after which to name a new monastery.

Thank you Barbara, this really helps.

Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

Now i heard to also stay away from Elder Paisios i just read something by him on purification of the heart and it sounded good does any one have any imput , my understanding is he was a new calendar elder ans said and did some strange things .

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Orthodox in michigan wrote:

Now i heard to also stay away from Elder Paisios i just read something by him on purification of the heart and it sounded good does any one have any imput , my understanding is he was a new calendar elder ans said and did some strange things .

Please stay away from all the New Calendarists. Elder Paisios abandoned the Old Calendarists when he joined the EP. He has been financially awarded with millions of dollars with which to build his monasteries throughout the USA. They are lovely places to visit, but at what cost?

There are other books that would be of tremendous benefit, and I am sure that your spiritual father could recommend some.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Are we talking about Elder Ephraim of Arizona ? I was just going to write something related to him on the thread devoted to analyzing his strange ways.

I always get mixed up with all those New Calendar fake elders, like Paisios, who is so much praised by World Orthodox. I barely can focus on them. So it was his writing about the purification of the heart that you read, Orthodox in Michigan ?

Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

Barbara wrote:

Are we talking about Elder Ephraim of Arizona ? I was just going to write something related to him on the thread devoted to analyzing his strange ways.

I always get mixed up with all those New Calendar fake elders, like Paisios, who is so much praised by World Orthodox. I barely can focus on them. So it was his writing about the purification of the heart that you read, Orthodox in Michigan ?

Yes i stumbled upon it , and it seemed ok and practical for a beginner like myself i thought the verses at the end of the article to be helpful , i know there are better sources for the spritual life , i just wondered if any one else found some good advice from this or is it something to avoid altogether.

I once read some of elder Michael last mystic of valaam by sergi bolshkov and thought some of his sayings helpful , he seemed sprit filled i know he was under the mp but i thought he was in contact with anthonite elders i dident know who they were or did he secretly celebrate the mysteries in his cell under them.