Is this a Vagante or True Greek Jurisdiction?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
someguy
Jr Member

Is this a Vagante or True Greek Jurisdiction?

Post by someguy »

Hello,

Anyone know anything about this synod of bishops below?

https://archdioceseofamerica.blogspot.com/

Disclaimer It's in Greek though has translate option...

Last edited by Maria on Thu 8 November 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d9popov

Re: Is this a Vagante or True Greek Jurisdiction?

Post by d9popov »

Many episcopi vagantes (vagrant/wandering bishops) are mentioned on the site. Fan Noli, Arsenios Saltas, Christopher Kontogeorge, Aftimios Ofeish, Pangratios Veronis, etc. NONE OF THESE ARE TRADITIONAL ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS. The Greek parts of the website are also ignorant about the saints: It says Saint John Maximovitch was in Berlin. Wrong. He is was in Shanghai, BRUSSELS, and San Francisco.

someguy
Jr Member

Post by someguy »

Thanks for your insight.

Do you know more about these individuals or a site that lists true orthodox synods?

When I first started to research true orthodoxy I was confronted with multiple "true/genuine" orthodox websites saying why they are good and others are not as good etc so I am at a loss to work out who is really true...

Or when attending a liturgy and talking to someone in the ministry they would say "do not go to any other church" and that we "keep" the rudder but after reading the rudder i knew that wasn't the case etc

So my question is what makes a church true enough to be the true church of Christ?

d9popov

Post by d9popov »

The shortest answer is that a true church must (1) preach Orthodox dogma, (2) must not preach a specific heresy that has been specifically condemned by the consensus of the Orthodox Church, and (3) must have apostolic succession of the the ordinations of its bishops. Orthodox dogma and apostolic succession are what count.

someguy
Jr Member

Post by someguy »

So if all the visuals of the parish look correct how does one check the authenticity of the priest's bishop and further the other bishops in the synod?

I'm guessing if asked he would say everything is fine right?

Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

someguy wrote:

So if all the visuals of the parish look correct how does one check the authenticity of the priest's bishop and further the other bishops in the synod?

I'm guessing if asked he would say everything is fine right?

My best guess by looking into things is to carefully also look at their confession of faith and also to investigate to see if it is practiced by them in not only word but also in deed , you will know them by their fruits. Sometimes heresy is starts out very subtle gen 3-1.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

If most of the men in the parish are chanters, readers, subdeacons, or are priests/deacons in training, then that is usually a sign of a cult. Or, if these men are hesitant to join the ministry, but are being pushed into ordination, then that is a problem. If a man is told that a prior marriage and divorce is not an impediment, then that is a very serious problem.

Many are called, but few are chosen.

If a candidate for the priesthood is told to recruit members for the parish, and that if he does recruit, then he will be quickly ordained to service these new members, then that most likely will be a problem. While evangelical activities, such as having retreats and days of recollection are very good, non-clergy should not be preaching, as without training, they could easily slip into heresy. Instead, it is the role of the bishop to preach.

Many are called, but few are chosen.

Again, look at the list of Traditional Orthodox. If a new or established synod is not listed there, please question why.
And most importantly, ask for the line of apostolic succession. If Anglicans, Old-Catholics, and several defrocked Orthodox clergy are in the mix, then reject them, especially if they had left Orthodoxy to marry or were convicted of pedophilia, etc.

CULTS from http://ww1.antiochian.org/1123706767

CULTS. The word "cult" has several meanings. The usage to which we refer designates a group of people who focus on a religious doctrine which devi­ates from the Tradition of the historic Church as re­vealed by Jesus Christ, established by His Apostles, and guarded by the seven Ecumenical Councils of the Church. A cult usually originates around a particular personality who proclaims a heresy as truth. The error itself assures the separation of the group from historic Christianity. Many cults claim the Bible as their basis, but they alter the historic interpretation of Scripture to persist in their own idea. Cults may do some things that are good (e.g., care for the poor, emphasize the family) and thus at least initially appear to be part of true Christianity to casual observers. Saint Paul's counsel on cults is, "From such withdraw yourself' (1 Timothy 6:5). The danger of the cult is that it removes those in it from the life of Christ and the Church, where the blessings and grace of God are found. All cults die; the Church lives on.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.