Persecution of Mount Athos' Esphigmenou Monastery by the EP

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

What is your belief concerning the monks

1. They are defenders of Orthodoxy
74%
  1. Don't know if the are correct - but they are being ill-treated
19%
  1. They are incorrect and are being ill-treated
4%
  1. They are incorrect and are being treated as they deserve
3%

Total votes: 70

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

EP cuts food, water, power, water, medicine to monastery

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Monks Resist Greek Monastery Eviction

Fri Jan 17, 6:08 AM ET

By COSTAS KANTOURIS, Associated Press Writer

THESSALONIKI, Greece - Power and water have been cut, authorities have halted supplies of food and medicine, and a deadline for forcible eviction looms.

For now, though, more than 100 Greek Orthodox monks are resisting efforts to force them from their 1,000-year-old monastery on a remote peninsula in the Aegean Sea as punishment for their bitter opposition to reconciliation between orthodox Christians and the Roman Catholic church.

Holding up a knotted rope rosary, the monastery's abbot, who goes by the name Methodius, said the monks of the Esphigmenou Monastery would challenge the eviction order in Greece's highest administrative court.

Methodius also vowed to appeal to a higher authority.

"We will fight with our prayer beads," he told a news conference Thursday in Thessaloniki, a port city about 80 miles west of Mount Athos, a peninsula home to some two dozen monasteries.

The monks were ordered expelled for rejecting the authority of Eastern Orthodox leadership. Members of the monastery condemned church leaders for holding talks with Roman Catholics as part of a long-running effort to reconcile the two main branches of Christianity.

Mount Athos, known as the Holy Mountain, is considered a spiritual cradle of Orthodox Christianity, and its conservative monks are widely perceived as being guardians of the faith.

The inhabitants of Esphigmenou are considered the most doctrinal of all the 2,000 or so monks living on Athos.

For decades, the monks have shown their opposition to any reconciliation with Catholics by adorning their monastery with black flags and a giant banner reading "Orthodoxy or death." They have referred to the pope as a heretic.

Orthodox Christian Churches and the Roman Catholic Church have been separated since the Great Schism of 1054 in a dispute over papal authority and interpretation of their creed.

Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, spiritual leader of the world's Orthodox Christians, on Dec. 14 declared the ultraconservative monks at Esphigmenou as "schismatic." That decision allowed Mount Athos' Greek government administrator to order their forcible eviction by Jan. 28.

It would be the largest-ever known eviction of monks from Mount Athos since the community was founded more than 1,000 years ago. The last eviction, for the same reasons, took place a decade ago and involved five monks living in an isolated hermitage.

Since the eviction order was issued on Dec. 14, authorities have cut electricity to the monastery and prevented the supply of food, heating oil and medical supplies, Methodius said.

A legal adviser to the monks, Ifigenia Kamtsidou, said the men were not given an opportunity to respond to the charges before the eviction order was issued.

"Constitutional procedures were not upheld," Kamtsidou said.

The monastery's first serious falling out with the ecumenical patriarchate came in the mid-1960's, after Catholic and Orthodox leaders withdrew a series of anathemas

Steve
Jr Member

Wow!

Post by Steve »

Wow! :( :( :(

Logos

Post by Logos »

This is terrible. :x They should let the monastery be and live in peace. This makes me cry and saddened about Orthodoxy when I hear things like this.

Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, spiritual leader of the world's Orthodox
Christians, on Dec. 14 declared the ultraconservative monks at Esphigmenou
as ``schismatic.'' That decision allowed Mount Athos' Greek government
administrator to order their forcible eviction by Jan. 28.

This only lends credence to ROCOR's statements about Bartholomew. Why is he doing this? I don't like Bartholomew because I believe he is a modernist that is does not like traditional Orthodoxy. The tactics employed by him are repulsive and unOrthodox. He is not following the spirit of love. Also, Patriarch Bartholomew is NOT the Orthodox version of the Pope. Though he may think he is, he is not, and I wished that the media would stop spreading such a lie as that. Archbishop John has a brilliant sermon about Constantinople, and how it is currently at its low point. With Bartholomew's actions, he is disgracing it and bringing it to a new low. Frankly, I would like to see Constantinople degraded down in rank as it does too much damage to Orthodoxy? Why is Bartholomew so threatend by a group of monks on an Aegen peninsula?

P.S. Nicholas, is there anything that we can do to support this monastery?

Joe Zollars

Post by Joe Zollars »

God bless these monks for staying true to the Church against the ecumenist syncretic heresy!

Joe Zollars

PS: Do let us know if there is any way we can support this monastary, other than our prayers of course.

JZ

尼古拉前执事
Archon

How to help the monks at this monastery?

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I don't know of any way to support this monastery right now, but I will look into it. As for the errors in the article, you can complain about them (i.e. assuming the EP is like an Orthodox Pope - which, sadly, the EP never corrects as IMO he wants to be an Orthodox Pope) at link

Last edited by 尼古拉前执事 on Sun 18 September 2005 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
尼古拉前执事
Archon

What we can do to help the Monks of Esphigmenou

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

So far this is all I have found that we can do:

Send your thoughts on the eviction of the brave monks of Esphigmenou to the Hellenic Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs:
gengrthr@ypepth.gr (With the subject line: Esphigmenou Eviction)
and/or:

Hellenic Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs
General Secretariat of Religious Affairs
Tel: 010 32 47 932 - 32 47 992 (ext. 524)
FAX: 010 32 43 419
?-mail: gengrthr@ypepth.gr

If you can write in Greek all the better, but they need to hear outrage world-wide! And of course we must pray for these monks as well. May God Bless them!

Logos

Post by Logos »

I have found a site from the GOC that discusses the persecution of the Holy monastery.

http://ecclesiagoc.org/sections/esphigm ... stance.htm