The Cat Thread - Cat rescues, etc.

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Re: The Cat Thread - Cat rescues, etc.

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

Thats a classic wow five cats very cute!
My one almost has a face like a orientel with calaco markings the other has medium length hair with gray and white markings.

Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

Orthodox in Michigan wrote:

Thats a classic wow five cats very cute!
My one almost has a face like a oriental with calico markings the other has medium length hair with gray and white markings.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

How do cats clean their teeth in the wild?

Post by Maria »

What do cats eat when they live in the wild?
Don't they eat grass and other herbs like catnip?
Also they eat insects like grasshoppers, moths, and flies.
Small animals like mice, lizards, frogs, birds, and the occasional squirrel are also eaten by cats.
Most likely, the wings and legs of the grasshoppers help to clean the teeth of these outdoor cats.

Could the kibble (artificial pellets of foods cooked at high temperature) be causing dental problems?

Would giving cats a natural diet of fresh kill or frozen meats and organ tissues like heart and liver be more healthy for them?

When we raised cats, we would give them chicken giblets like heart, liver, kidney, and gizzards. They loved these treats.

I have been listening to videos where cat owners who are raising bob cats, exotic cats, and mountain lions are feeding their animals fresh kill or purchased fresh meat and organs to feed their big cats. These cats are thriving.

Luke posted a thread in the Prayer Life section of our board asking for prayers for his cat who needed to have a teeth cleaning job done. Responses to that thread should have only included prayers.

I have moved Barbara's reply in Prayer Life to this forum, specifically this thread concerning cats. Please watch where you post replies. Prayer Life should only concern prayers.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Cat Teeth Cleaned

Post by Barbara »

Oh I am SO glad to hear that !
It's a pity that cats can not have their teeth scaled [ I assumed that's what it was ? ] without being given those noxious things which make them sleep.

Is this regular dental care or your cat had any tooth infection, Luke ?

Barbara, please see the mod note above.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Re: Cat Teeth Cleaned

Post by Luke »

She has had Gingivitis ever since we got her. Every once in a while the Vet says we have to get it done. We always hate that day and are glad when we get her back. Meanwhile we give her dental treats that the Vet Recommended.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Chicken Broth (with salt) for gingivitis.

Post by Maria »

I had gingivitis for a while too.

When I was a child, my parents urged me to gargle with warm salt water (1/2 tsp. salt to 1 cup of water) whenever I had a throat infection or whenever my teeth bothered me. I had quite forgotten about the beneficial aspects of simple salt.

Now I use the pink Himalayan salt that I find at Smart and Final as a gargle and a mouth rinse. I swish the salt water between my teeth with my teeth held together much like one would do with oil pulling. Then I pour some of the warm salt water on my toothbrush and brush my teeth.

If you make some chicken broth for your cat, add a little Himalayan salt, as salt has been shown to help stop gingivitis. This is one of grandma's tricks. My mom used to feed us chicken broth whenever we came down with the flu, a cold, or a sore throat. It worked. The ratio is about 1/4 tsp per cup of soup. So, if the cat drinks about 1/4 cup of soup, only add a pinch of salt.

I would have suggested the Organic Chicken Bone Broth sold at Trader Joe's, but there is a warning that onions (garlic, onions, leeks, chives) can be deadly for cats and dogs. Please do read the labels on all broths sold at the stores. Many contain onions as flavoring.

Chicken bone broth can be easily made. Just pick up some wings and drum sticks from the supermarket. Slow cook the chicken -- skin and bones too -- a few hours until the marrow in the bones becomes soft. Pick out the marrow using a boning knife. Freeze what you do not need. The cat should be watching you closely for a treat as the broth simmers on the stove.

Note: Do not feed the cat the cooked bones as these can cause a cat to choke or worse bleed internally. In the wild, cats eat raw uncooked bones, which are not as dangerous.

At the feed store, they sell mineral blocks (salt and minerals for the cows and goats to lick) as animals do need salt. Wildlife Officers here in California are putting salt licks out for the coyotes away from the trails because coyotes are attracted to salty human urine found near trails. Perhaps your cat might benefit from having a small block of salt to lick. This would be a natural cure for gingivitis.

We need salt.

https://phz8.petinsurance.com/pet-healt ... and-onions

Onions contain compounds called disulfides and thiosulphates which can be toxic cats and dogs if ingested. The ingestion of onions causes conditions called hemolytic anemia, Heinz body anemia, and methemoglobinemia which are all manifestation of damage to red blood cells. Essentially, the compounds in onion can cause the red blood cells circulating through your pet’s body to become very fragile and burst.

Symptoms of this condition include early-onset vomiting and diarrhea, along with symptoms of anemia--breathlessness, lethargy, pale, yellow, or “muddy” colored gums, rapid breathing, and an elevated heart rate. Your pet also could develop abdominal pain and discolored urine. While vomiting and diarrhea may occur within one day, it may take several days to a week after your pet eats onions for symptoms of anemia to appear. ...

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Luke, I would steer entirely clear of any kind of cat treat ! They are all made of horrible stuff, even the so called healthy ones. You don't want to worsen your calico's general condition by letting her eat any of them. Let me think of any substitute possible.

Maria, sorry for posting in the wrong place.
Salt is so beneficial both for humans and for animals, you are right. There is a mineral supplement called Mesotrace from Winnemucca, Nevada which is excellent for all people. This family-operated company sells a formula for horses and another for dogs, but none yet for cats ! I just checked today.

I will write more on this thread about the mouth ailments of cats. But I wanted to say that I do feed cats a little bit of garlic, since I figure they need the NATURAL antibiotic. I had read not to do that, or a very tiny amount only. I never felt any inclination to feed a cat onions, though : now I know from your post approximately why. It sounds complicated ; I need to read the full article about onion ingestion by pets.