Seattle has become a nightmare - no longer "Emerald City"

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Seattle has become a nightmare - no longer "Emerald City"

Post by Barbara »

The local Seattle Channel 4 station, KOMO, produced a nauseating but truth-revealing documentary in 2017, which popped up in the margin when I looked at the video Maria recommended.

Due to its hyper-liberal government, Seattle has become a haven for Devils, in the form of drug fiends, the 1 hour documentary exposes. I skipped through some parts of the video and didn't get near finishing watching it, but the film's point is clear.

Various people interviewed characterize it as a "post-apocalyptic landscape", "a concentration camp without wire" [ that was a sincere police officer who had to retire due to lack of ability to help productively ]. The same former police officer, Todd Wiebke, said pointblank that if he had a young family, he would not raise it in Seattle.

An anonymous SPD police officer said that [ paraphrasing a little here from notes - I shudder to go back to this documentary ! ] Seattle has become a mecca for those seeking a free ride.

"Freeattle" is believed to offer free food, free medical care, free mental health care, free tents, etc. This rumor has brought many thousands of homeless people to the once-Emerald City. The film shows that the problem is not homelessness alone, but drug use which is at the root of the disaster that Seattle, especially the downtown area, has become.

The leftist rulers of the city have legislated to allow Freeattle's citizens to walk around with 3 grams of drugs -- which, the film says, is a shocking 30 doses of some odious thing -- and NOT be able to be arrested. No wonder the Seattle police are so disheartened that they unanimously wrote devastating remarks when asked their opinion about the current situation there.

That's not all : crime is actually higher by far than any other major city in the US, including New York City, with the exception of San Francisco.
However, a youtube commentator on this documentary wrote, "Seattle has turned into a drug-infested cesspool, worse than San Francisco".

If this - and much more terrible things - was the state of Seattle in 2016-2017, what about today, 3 years later ?

Discretion advised since this clip is one unending parade of appalling images of Freeattle street scenes. However, if any reader is thinking of relocating to Seattle proper, the shocking scenes might help present a realistic picture of how low the once lovely city has sunk.

A businesswoman interviewed in the film says that nearby Bellevue is still all right. We can assume that many other suburbs as well are still safe and calm.

That appears the only ray of hope for this fast fading capital of the Pacific Northwest.

Of course, local organizations present a wildly different - upbeat - side of the story :

Mt Rainer, 14,410 feet, towers in the background of Seattle's urban area ; with the Space Needle, built for the 1962 World's Fair, left-center of the picture[/color]

"...beautiful Seattle, Washington. Home of companies like Starbucks, Microsoft and Amazon, Seattle is a modern, high-tech city and the largest city in the Pacific Northwest. It's known for its coffee, cuisine, culture, eclectic neighborhoods, and its stunning natural beauty.

Nestled between the Puget Sound and the Cascade Mountain Range, Seattle is a close drive to some of the best hiking, mountain biking, skiing, kayaking, mountain climbing, and outdoor adventures in the country. In fact, Seattle is a couple hours’ drive from three National Parks: Mt. Rainier National Park, North Cascades National Park, and Olympic National Park, as well as innumerable state, county, and city parks.

Whether you hunger for sushi or adventure, Seattle is a city you will fall in love with..."

http://depts.washington.edu/biowww/pages/seattle.shtml

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Seattle has become a nightmare - no longer "Emerald City"

Post by Barbara »

When following up on this subject, I noticed reactions in the press of cities such as Spokane, in Eastern Washington, said to be a different planet than Western Washington, where the city of Seattle is found.

I noticed that the articles stated that the KOMO Documentary was released in mid-March of THIS year. Sorry about that mistake.
So, this is very fresh material, which seems to be sparking major debates in Seattle as well as regional cities.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Strange ! Just the same day I wrote my post above in the evening, this reprehensible incident occurred to Rocor-MP Abbot Tryphon, head of the Monastery on Vashon Island, off Seattle.

I only now read about the attack, which occurred in Burien, a suburb 9-10 miles south of Seattle. But most of the other cases involving this man's random aggressions seem to have taken place in Seattle proper. I have to look up what this type of punch actually means, but it sounds vicious. Yes, Seattle HAS become a nightmare when a Priestmonk is singled out as a victim of psychotic rage. The 72-year old Abbot said in interviews that this man looked crazed particularly when he noticed his pectoral cross. Clearly, the Devil was behind this attack during Great Lent.

From the report below, it seems the suspected assailant is one of those dangerous mental cases highlighted by the KOMO documentary, which brings out that little or no punishment is meted out for repeated awful behavior in the Seattle area. Though nothing yet has been said to link the suspect to either homelessness or drugs, one could wager a guess that both are plaguing the individual.

"SEATTLE — King County Prosecutors have charged 33-year-old Kevin G. Siciliano with Assault in the Second Degree after deputies say he sucker-punched an Orthodox priest in Burien on April 16th. Abbot Tryphon was pumping gas when deputies say Siciliano approached him and hit him in the head. https://q13fox.com/2019/04/17/priest-ra ... -daylight/
The next day, Pierce County Sheriff’s deputies arrested Siciliano after investigators say he made threats to kill a bus driver. He was booked for Obstruction as well as other charges related to his behavior on the bus after he refused to give his real name to deputies. Siciliano was released from jail the next day.
Two days later, Seattle Police arrested Siciliano after surveillance video showed him hitting a woman with his closed fist in Pioneer Square. She was just walking by him on the sidewalk when he attacked her according to the police report.
Court documents show Siciliano’s conduct has been escalating since 2017. He was convicted in Seattle Municipal Court for attacking a man with a wooden stick on January 12th, tackling him when he tried to run away and assaulting him. He had a prior arrest on December 11th for assaulting someone inside the Union Gospel Mission.
Additionally, prosecutors say he assaulted an employee of the Downtown Emergency Service Center (DESC) on July 3, 2018. He was later convicted for harassing that employee and violating a no contact order. Siciliano has been booked 8 times since 2017 and has failed to appear in court 4 times."

https://q13fox.com/2019/04/24/suspect-c ... ince-2017/

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

The above incident is reminiscent of one which occurred nearly 100 years earlier to Valaam Elder Michael [Pitkevich], who later went under the MP, in 1957. By Hieroschemamonk Michael's own telling in his biography "Interior Silence: Elder Michael, the Last Great Mystic of Valaam" [pp 45 and 47]:

"Once I went to church to serve. It was locked; I looked and saw with amazement some man standing there. 'Who are you and how did you get here ?' I asked him.
He began to murmur something unintelligible in reply. Suddenly I felt something evil. 'Speak. Who are you and why are you here ?'
Silence.

I asked him again and he made the sound 'bl, bl, bl'. Then I said, 'Cross yourself in the name of the Father, Son...'

I did not manage to finish when he screamed horribly and hit me with such power on my chest that I fell down.
He disappeared, for it was the devil..."

Lesson : get far away from any suspicious person who refuses to articulate words. Or a being who restricts his utterances to 'bl, bl, bl' - !!

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Post by Luke »

His hearing was down after the attack. I do not know if he ever got it back.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Thanks for that info, Luke. Is that right ? He is still suffering from hearing problems ? I was trying to figure out whether he is back to normal or not. I noticed he has not posted anything [ that I noticed, though I didn't exhaustively look through his facebook posts ] about his state of recovery, though many well-wishers have asked this.

It seems the brain trauma he mentioned at the outset must have resolved itself. One hopes so.If you hear any updates please let us know.

I was concerned also about his cat, pictured earlier in this thread. Did the cat repose ? The abbot did not state anything directly [ that I saw ].

Last edited by Barbara on Sun 23 June 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Meanwhile, I was going to mention that the 'punched by Devil' incident occurred while Elder Michael was serving at Valaam's distant Gethsemane Skete.

Looking that up, I found lovely pictures of an exquisite little Church where we assume the intimidation attempt occurred :

We assume it was the door of this Church at which Elder Michael was accosted in about 1926 by a devil showing itself in human form. The devil hit the monk so hard that he fell to the ground

Now look at a picture of the Vashon All Merciful Savior 'Skete', of which the head is Abbot Tryphon of the slightly parallel Burien outage by a heavily devil-possessed person in 2019. The architecture is vaguely similar, though obviously far more rustic and not as elaborate as the 19th century Northern Russian gem :