On Inclinations, Thoughts, and Sin

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
tito
Faith: striving for Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: ROCOR-MP -> Seeking TO synod

On Inclinations, Thoughts, and Sin

Post by tito »

> Only occasionally, when I heard how other people condemn, malign, or laugh, did I too happen to agree with them to some extent in thought, or even, in my carelessness, add my word to what they were saying; but even then I instantly caught myself and stopped. But here I was held responsible even for the inclination (St. Theodora's Journey Through the Aerial Toll-Houses)

Since it says that the devils condemn you because they observe you and your behaviour after baptism, do devils have the ability to read your mind and thus your inclinations, so that you can also be responsible for this?

How can we be held responsible by demons for our thoughts?

Suaidan
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Metropolia of the Americas

Re: On Inclinations, Thoughts, and Sin

Post by Suaidan »

tito wrote: Tue 9 January 2024 11:26 pm

Only occasionally, when I heard how other people condemn, malign, or laugh, did I too happen to agree with them to some extent in thought, or even, in my carelessness, add my word to what they were saying; but even then I instantly caught myself and stopped. But here I was held responsible even for the inclination (St. Theodora's Journey Through the Aerial Toll-Houses)

Since it says that the devils condemn you because they observe you and your behaviour after baptism, do devils have the ability to read your mind and thus your inclinations, so that you can also be responsible for this?

How can we be held responsible by demons for our thoughts?

You aren't. It's that the demons recognize the physical manifestation of what you were thinking, even if you stopped yourself.

That comes from thousands of years of observing people. In any case, in that day, have faith in Christ and your guardian angel!

Fr Joseph Suaidan (Suaiden, same guy)

tito
Faith: striving for Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: ROCOR-MP -> Seeking TO synod

Post by tito »

Thank you Father! This has indeed been bothering me...

Now then, I have seen it in myself. When I am inclined to judge someone, my face becomes a certain way... May God have mercy on me!

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Elder Amvrosy said once that the demons are not able to read people's thoughts directly, but instead, can discern much from the people's emotions.

You see how emotions can be used by demons to manipulate people ? If someone is feeling angry or jealous or whatever, the demons can exert pressure on that individual to feel much more intensely that emotion. Mild anger can be goaded to become rage, for example.
By this tactic, devils hope to drive their target person out of his or her own control - and into the clutches of the evil side. This is just my opinion.

Bac to Elder Amvrosy, he expressly taught that the demons can't understand that much so they have to study human faces to detect the person's emotions.
So you are right, tito !

It seems to me that that's why it's wise to control one's facial features when feeling a strong negative emotion ! The demons can not grab the person and force that one into becoming far more angry, jealous, etc.

They may not be able to detect fully the emotion being felt if the person's face and general demeanor remain placid.
When i find the exact passage, I will quote it here.