ROCOR: a history in pictures

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
RocaRemnant
Jr Member
Faith: True Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: ROCANA

Re: ROCOR: a history in pictures

Post by RocaRemnant »

SavaBeljovic wrote: Fri 2 February 2024 9:07 am
RocaRemnant wrote: Thu 1 February 2024 8:12 pm

Archimandrite/Elder Panteleimon of Boston (the spiritual son of Saint Ieronymos of Aegina and Saint Joseph the Hesychast of the Holy Mountain) at Jordanville. Forgive me for the poor quality, these pictures have been taken from a photo book at the Shishkov-Grabbe house where Archbishop Andrei of ROAC resides

That's not Archimandrite Panteleimon of Boston. That's Archimandrite Panteleimon (Nizhnik), the founder of the Holy Trinity Monastery.

Thank you for correcting me brother Sava

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Good catch !
These are just INCREDIBLE ! Thanks for showing us, RocaRemnant.
I was curious about that [WONDERFUL !!] photo of Metropolitan Philaret in the Holy Land with [Novice ?] Andronik <-- should be of MOUNTAIN View.

I think Metropolitan Philaret made a pilgrimage there in 1980 or right around that time.
So how could Fr Andronik have been that old then ? It's hard to tell much from the faded picture, but if my date is correct, that's 44 years ago.
How old would Fr Andronik have been then ? Was he indeed assigned to the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission [Rocor's] that far bac ? I recall he WAS there for some years, but i assumed his time there began later.
I don't know much about his past, I am just inquiring for clarity.

Is that Archbishop Nikon also present ?

RocaRemnant
Jr Member

Post by RocaRemnant »

Barbara wrote: Fri 2 February 2024 11:23 pm

Good catch !
These are just INCREDIBLE ! Thanks for showing us, RocaRemnant.
I was curious about that [WONDERFUL !!] photo of Metropolitan Philaret in the Holy Land with [Novice ?] Andronik <-- should be of MOUNTAIN View.

I think Metropolitan Philaret made a pilgrimage there in 1980 or right around that time.
So how could Fr Andronik have been that old then ? It's hard to tell much from the faded picture, but if my date is correct, that's 44 years ago.
How old would Fr Andronik have been then ? Was he indeed assigned to the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission [Rocor's] that far bac ? I recall he WAS there for some years, but i assumed his time there began later.
I don't know much about his past, I am just inquiring for clarity.

Is that Archbishop Nikon also present ?

You’re most welcome Barbara!!

I’m very silly with names haha I meant Mountain View. I don’t know much about Vladyka Andronik’s time in the Holy Land, I’ll have to call and ask him about it once he’s back from Australia next month. He was in the Holy Land for a considerable amount of time and looked after a ROCOR mission there as far as I’m aware

Unfortunately, I don’t know if Archbishop Nikon is present however if anyone does know feel free to let us know

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh, that's OK. Sometimes all of us are writing late at night and make silly mistakes.
Could you please do that ? That would be wonderful to ascertain what years Abp Andronik was there. Just to have a clear picture.
And what was his obedience there exactly ? Or various obediences ?
Was he with the Oak of Mamre skete by any chance ? Or at the Mount of Olives Convents ? Just some questions you could think of asking. People always enjoy talking about their pasts, so I would imagine he would not mind recounting some memories, too - !
I am pretty sure it is Abp Nikon, but anyone who can confirm would be great.

RocaRemnant
Jr Member

Post by RocaRemnant »

I’ll make sure to confirm it with him if his memory doesn’t fail him as he’s been having memory issues as of late. Please keep him in your prayers, he’s a very humble and sweet hierarch.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh, i didn't realize that, I'm sorry. Well, then that's all the MORE reason to ask now before any of this section of his life starts to fade - Thanks again if you can. Oh, and while you're at it you might want to inquire about his earlier life, any relevant things that led him monasticism, for example.
I assume he is visiting Australia for the Rocana glorification tomorrow, then maybe traveling around to various parishes ?

RocaRemnant
Jr Member

Post by RocaRemnant »

I’ll definitely make sure to ask him sister Barbara! Anything for a fellow Orthodox Christian.

He is indeed visiting Australia for the glorification of Bl. José Muñoz Cortés

http://rocana.org/archives/12741
All Australian parishes can be found here

https://auroca.org/

Our Australian diocese website