Proto-ecumenism before the 1920s

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Proto-ecumenism before the 1920s

Post by Jean-Serge »

Many people think that ecumenism is a new phenomenon that started in the 1920s. Its manifestation are common prayers, intercommunion etc. However these manifestations could be found at some instances, in different places, regularly, occasionnally etc. In this thread I will try to find example that fit the category of proto-ecumenism, and maybe we can find a reason of them. But you'll see for sure that were places where the decadence in the orthodox chirch was so high that compared to it, our ecumenists look sometimes moderate.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Suaidan
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Metropolia of the Americas

Re: Proto-ecumenism before the 1920s

Post by Suaidan »

Posts like this bother me. "Proto-Sergianist!" "Proto-arianism!" Etc.

You know who always say those things? Proto-stants.

That's just my two cents

Fr Joseph Suaidan (Suaiden, same guy)

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I think the topic looks intriguing to explore. Jean-Serge will have to do a lot of research to delve bac into Church history for examples. We do appreciate that.

I am awaiting his findings eagerly, as it will indeed shed light on the current ecumenical problem. Especially if it was WORSE then !

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

In the Greek world, it was indeed worse, Kallistos Ware mentions this in his book Eustratios Argenti with very much details, but I could even find the detailed list of what was reproached to the inhabitants of Corfu island (a translation is needed). In the Russian world, I could find one example that I will point and I am looking for documentation of anothee rone.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Suaidan
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Metropolia of the Americas

Post by Suaidan »

and all of it was condemned

Fr Joseph Suaidan (Suaiden, same guy)

SavaBeljovic
Faith: True Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Post by SavaBeljovic »

Jean-Serge wrote: Fri 15 March 2024 3:51 am

In the Greek world, it was indeed worse, Kallistos Ware mentions this in his book Eustratios Argenti with very much details, but I could even find the detailed list of what was reproached to the inhabitants of Corfu island (a translation is needed). In the Russian world, I could find one example that I will point and I am looking for documentation of anothee rone.

The main difference between what is mentioned in the Eustratios Argenti was that these Bishops did and today is that the Bishops back then were making *secret* deals and intercommunions with the Roman Catholics. Not public concelebrations with Latins, or publicly commemorating the Pope at every Liturgy at the Phanar, or communing Latins in Italian cities -- all of which we have seen today -- and as Fr. Joseph mentioned, were condemned as soon as they found out what they were doing.

The issue and what I think Fr. Joseph was trying to say (although I'm not speaking for him) about articles like this, is that it gives the Ecumenists/New Calendarists/Modernists today ammunition to fire at us. "Oh well Ecumenism was bad in the 17th century, why wasn't there True Orthodoxy then? You guys are hypocrites!". Which obviously wasn't the case historically, but as has been shown over the last 100 years, they'll just take things out of context or outright edit things to make claims.

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."

SavaBeljovic
Faith: True Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Post by SavaBeljovic »

Also yes Protestants like putting "proto" in front of words for some reason. Especially as all their seminaries and intellectuals (at least in the English speaking world) like to claim there was no such thing as an Orthodox teaching of Christianity prior to the 4th century and only existed "proto-Orthodoxy" so they can get away with disagreeing with the Holy Fathers on real presence, infant baptism, having clergy, etc.

They use the word "proto" to mean it was a free-for-all or perhaps a pick-what-you-want buffet of teachings before the age of menus came to limit us on what we can believe.

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."