Fr Nikita Grigoriev[Rocana] interview

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Barbara
Protoposter

Fr Nikita Grigoriev[Rocana] interview

Post by Barbara »

Interview by Subdeacon Nektarios [of GOC-K, it appears] with Fr Nikita Grigoriev, a well-known opponent of the 2007 union with MP.

We learn among other things that before becoming a Priest, Fr Nikita, who serves at a ROCANA Church of St Nikita in RIchfield Springs NY near Jordanville, was one of the original 6 pilots of Emirates Airline for over a year.

Looking at the history of Emirates, the carrier seems to have been officially founded in 1985, but it must be that there was a predecessor before that.  Fr Nikita Grigoriev lists the name as Emirates Air Service and the location as Abu Dhabi on his LinkedIn profile, so I am assuming he was involved as a pilot with an earlier startup. For Emirates from 1985 was based in Dubai. Abu Dhabi and Dubai are among the 7 United Arab Emirates, hence the name.
Fr Nikita worked there from June 1981 to September 1982. Before that, he had been a design engineer with De Havilland Aircraft in Toronto, Canada

Emirates today is the world's LARGEST international airline !
In November 2023,

"The Dubai-based megacarrier was crowned ‘Best Airline in the World’ and ‘Best Airline in the Middle East’ at the awards ceremony. The world’s largest international airline won the votes of thousands of global travelers, which it put down to its “world-class products, unmatched services, and superb value for money offerings "

It is the largest airline in the Middle East, operating over 3,600 flights per week from its hub at Terminal 3 of Dubai International Airport. It operates to more than 150 cities in 80 countries across six continents on its fleet of nearly 300 aircraft. -wikipedia

According to other sources, it is one of the most pampering airlines in the world. 2 highlights :
"Those traveling with kids also get extra baggage allowance, access to free strollers, and can request a bassinet. Emirates also gives the option to pre-order special meals for the little ones and provides baby food plus its own milk formulas and bottles. Anybody bringing their own baby meals and milk bottles can even ask for them to be warmed up"

In 1st Class, the amenities are extraordinary. Emirates is one of the 2 airlines in the world which offers HOT SHOWERS aboard the flights !
Here is a full list :

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/trav ... irst-class

Had Fr Nikita stayed with the airline, he would surely have had a marvelous career.
However, his wife Joanne asked for more information about Orthodoxy in the early 1980s.
When he researched the fascinating material, he realized that the Church was the TRUE career for him.

Hear the rest in
this 1-1/2 hour interview :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7iIZHnEnIs&t=4640s

RocaRemnant
Jr Member
Faith: True Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: ROCANA

Re: Fr Nikita Grigoriev[Rocana] interview

Post by RocaRemnant »

I absolutely loved the interview, one of the very few interviews that can actually keep my interest until the very end.

one point I felt that needs more attention is the 40:50 timestamp mark. Fr Nikita mentioned the time Metropolitan Valentine of ROAC had helped Metropolitan Vitaly escape the ROCOR Sobor building after being locked up by Laurus. Mother Larissa (now with ROCANA) was a staunch defender of Metropolitan Laurus but once she had heard what happened she called Metropolitan Valentine and told him about it and had given the keys of the Sobor building to Metropolitan Valentine so he could help Metropolitan Vitaly escape to Canada by driving to the border and into Canada, which led to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYoLW1EwwwA

This happened after Laurus found out and told the Canadian officials that Metropolitan Vitaly had gone crazy and was attempting to “off himself” at Masonville. Once the video ends the police leave the premises after realising nothing was wrong with Metropolitan Vitaly. 

I’ll be meeting Fr Nikita later this October with a fellow friend from ROAC who I’m close with. 

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Thank you for answering, Almond Roca. I want to look at that video in the next day or two.

Fr Nikita indeed seems very approachable. Unlike some of the older generation of staunch Rocor members, he speaks perfect English.

These interviews are by the way an excellent endeavor. All the people who were part of dramatic events, or knew key Church figures, need to be asked to relate their memories while there is opportunity. Good project by Subdeacon Nektarios.

SavaBeljovic
Faith: True Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Post by SavaBeljovic »

RocaRemnant wrote: Thu 21 March 2024 5:20 pm

I absolutely loved the interview, one of the very few interviews that can actually keep my interest until the very end.

one point I felt that needs more attention is the 40:50 timestamp mark. Fr Nikita mentioned the time Metropolitan Valentine of ROAC had helped Metropolitan Vitaly escape the ROCOR Sobor building after being locked up by Laurus. Mother Larissa (now with ROCANA) was a staunch defender of Metropolitan Laurus but once she had heard what happened she called Metropolitan Valentine and told him about it and had given the keys of the Sobor building to Metropolitan Valentine so he could help Metropolitan Vitaly escape to Canada by driving to the border and into Canada, which led to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYoLW1EwwwA

This happened after Laurus found out and told the Canadian officials that Metropolitan Vitaly had gone crazy and was attempting to “off himself” at Masonville. Once the video ends the police leave the premises after realising nothing was wrong with Metropolitan Vitaly. 

I’ll be meeting Fr Nikita later this October with a fellow friend from ROAC who I’m close with. 

I didn't realize I was being enlisted to visit Fr. Nikita, but I can't wait! (I thought he was in Canada, but I am mistaken), if you want to know more about the daring rescue of Met. Vitaly from the Laurites, Mother Larissa who now is with ROCANA, or Archbishop Andrei (who with Protopope Vladimir Shishkov actually got Met. Vitaly out of the Synod building) can tell you more about it.

edit: I also forgot to mention, Mother Larissa gave the keys to the Synod building to Protopope Vladimir Shishkov. Met. Valentin was in Russia at the time and Mother Larissa couldn't have given him the keys 

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Good clarifications, SavaB. I was thinking, "How could Met Valentine have gotten so close to this situation that he was a part of it like that ?"
I didn't remember that now-Abp Andrei was a part of it, though ! I had also forgotten Protopriest Vladimir Shishkov's involvement.

I did watch the video recommended by Almond. I had figured it was that one, but wanted to make sure. I remembered it dimly. It only has something like 78 views. Maybe we need to give it more publicity !

I wonder WHY it was so shaky like that ? Was it taken with an early cell phone ?

Suaidan
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Metropolia of the Americas

Post by Suaidan »

SavaBeljovic wrote: Fri 22 March 2024 12:01 pm
RocaRemnant wrote: Thu 21 March 2024 5:20 pm

I didn't realize I was being enlisted to visit Fr. Nikita, but I can't wait! (I thought he was in Canada, but I am mistaken), if you want to know more about the daring rescue of Met. Vitaly from the Laurites, Mother Larissa who now is with ROCANA, or Archbishop Andrei (who with Protopope Vladimir Shishkov actually got Met. Vitaly out of the Synod building) can tell you more about it.

edit: I also forgot to mention, Mother Larissa gave the keys to the Synod building to Protopope Vladimir Shishkov. Met. Valentin was in Russia at the time and Mother Larissa couldn't have given him the keys 

Metropolitan Valentine was on vacation in the US (he would visit once a year). He was in the car with Fr Vladimir and Metropolitan Vitaly. I was literally getting live updates via phone at the time.

I have no idea where Abp Andrei was at the time; he was a priest with the Matthewites after 1986 and he was at Dormition Skete when he was named to be a Bishop, after which he went to live in New Jersey (but this was 2004).

EDIT: I should mention that I can't confirm that Metropolitan Valentine was at the Synod building. He may have joined the ride later, as Fr Vladimir's residence was just outside the city. 

Fr Joseph Suaidan (Suaiden, same guy)

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

About the content of the interview, I thought the most revealing new insight was that Met Laurus KNEW that the whole thing was a hot potato. It sounds to me like Met Laurus had been specifically threatened with some dire situation if he refused to promote the union to the fullest.

Hardly anyone alive would know Met Laurus' personal reaction. All or most people assume that he was a willing participant in the effort from Moscow to snare the Church Abroad.
But Fr Nikita's eyewitness testimony shows that Met Laurus was probably deeply reluctant to go along -- had he been given a free will choice.

We can only speculate on what the threat was that apparently shocked Met Laurus - anyone have any ideas ?

Another interesting bit of info was about Fr Alexander Lebedeff's book. I always had heard about it, and sought to read it, as it sounded like FINALLY the truth was going to be revealed in a greater depth.
But no copies easily available. For some reason, because of the title I had viewed in English, I had assumed the entire book was in English. Now from the interview, it's clear that it was only in Russian.

Well, I bet the intrepid Subdeacon Nektarios will easily dig up a copy and tell us what exactly was in there ! Any particularly good revelations ? Fr Nikita thought it was excellent, so there must have been edifying material in it.