Elder MichaelII ofValaam&Pskov

An online Synaxaristes including martyrologies and hagiographies of the lives of the Orthodox Church's saints. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Elder MichaelII ofValaam&Pskov

Post by Barbara »

Today is the day of repose in 1962 of Hieroschemamonk Michael [Pitkevich], of Valaam and later of the Pskov Caves Monastery, confessor for the Old Calendar.

Slightly edited article :

"In 1902, Michael entered Valaam Monastery and abandoned the world forever. Behind the ancient stone walls of the Monastery, he lived for many years in silence and peace, communing with his own heart. Fifteen years later, the Elder’s silence was broken. A revolution had taken place in Russia and a new government was instituted, a government based on Atheism...the blood of Monks and Priests were spilled by the gallons into the barren earth.

The young Monk Michael suffered much over this, knowing the fate that his fellow Christians were facing outside his Monastery.

Then one day, in the dead of winter, the Monastics of Valaam saw a man running towards their island, across the frozen lake, towards their Monastery. He shouted to warn the Monks that the communist soldiers were coming to the Monastery. The three hundred Monks quickly loaded all the Monastery possessions on sleds and horses and began the sorrowful walk to the free country of Finland. Since they were all nearly freezing to death, they decided to make a bonfire. Warming himself by the fire, with the rest of his brothers, the young Monk Michael stood looking at his beloved Monastery at a distance. Longing for his home, he wept as the winter breeze froze his tears.

Eventually the Monks made it safely to Finland; and free from persecution they built a new Monastery in the wilderness, practically out of nothing. During these dark and difficult times, there arose a new persecution from within the new Monastery. There was a movement to “reform” the ancient Tradition of Orthodoxy to make it conform to the fashions of the fallen world. All those who stood upright against this new “system” were mercilessly persecuted and shunned. Michael suffered much for this because he recalled his resolve to “be in firm defense of pure Orthodoxy.”

For his steadfastness to uphold the old Traditions, Michael was put on trial. In the midst of the trial, the future elder said: “You can bury me alive but I will not step away from the testament which I have been given.” After his trial, he was banished to a deserted island.

In 1957, Monk Michael was forced to leave the Monastery because of the persecution. Sorrowing that he had not won over his brothers, Michael moved to Pskov Caves Monastery, on the border of the Soviet Union. Elder Michael lived out the final years of his life on this earth in total silence and seclusion, living for prayer alone.

Valaam Monastery

The following accounts are accounts of meetings, talks, and conversations with the Elder in the years before his repose. His talks seem to reveal that his mind was dead to this world, and alive to the other world.His astonishing eyes, bright and clear, looked at me. I realized that Fr. Michael had the gift of clairvoyance; He read my thoughts and knew my past. “Father,” I asked him, “what to you think of death?”

The Elder answered: There is no death. There is merely a passing from one state to another. To me personally, the life of the other world is much more real than my life here. The more the [spiritual seeker] lives the interior life, the more he is detached from this world, and imperceptibly he approaches the other world. When the end comes, it is easy; the thin curtain simply dissolves.The mystery of sin is in operation from a long time ago, but rather I think the time is now pointing to another direction. Indeed, how many martyrs have we had recently and even now? It shows how many Saints are still living. At the end of time there will be no more martyrs because Apostasy will be so vile.

“Is the interior life difficult?” I asked the Elder.The Elder said: "No, if you are taking it in the right way. In the interior life, there is not straight line. A person either ascends or descends. No one who looks for comfort can expect to attain interior peace. He does not even know what it is. In the world there are many people who are merely just walking [shells], thinking about nothing but their comfort. When we are young, or even middle-aged, we can hide our true self. An old person cannot do this. Often the revelation of a person’s true self is appalling.

"It is important to avoid the same falls, whatever they may be; drinking, gambling, impurity, and so on. After ever fall, our repentance weakens. We become accustomed to our sins and in the end Divine Grace produces no impression on us; and we become, first, indifferent to the Christian life, and then violently hostile to God. When a man reaches this stage, he looses the capacity to recognize his fault and becomes degenerate. On the other hand, those who truly feel sorry, even if they fall into the same sin again and again, begin to feel indifferent towards it and then hate it. Gradually all sins become disgusting to them, and they become Saints of God. Everyone is free to select the first or the second way. Those who select the right way, must remember that the earlier one starts, the better it is. It is difficult to break former habits. Criminals and murderers are not born as such. They were not different from anybody else, but they neglected to regret small sins and ended up as degenerates.

Elder Michael once gave me a piece of paper that said the following, “Happiness and misfortune, rise and fall, health and sickness, glory and dishonor, wealth and poverty; everything comes from God and must be accepted as such.”I looked at the Elder saying, “This is a hard saying, Father.”

The Elder Answered: "No, many people struck by misfortune become either depressed, considering everything they lost, or rebellious, believing that they have suffered unjustly. The truth, of course, is that God bends us all His own way, which is the best for those concerned.

"We have merely a dead faith. This is common to the devils. They know there is a God, but they oppose Him nevertheless. Remember always that all troubles in this life are designed to make us more detached from this world. Therefore they lead us to a better life.You see, while we have no peace of mind, we cannot see God. We are able to understand the past within the limits allowed by God, but we do not know what to do now and what to plan for in the future. If we have no peace of soul, it means that, inwardly, we have still not reached a state of wholeness and are blinded with passions which prevent us from seeing the world in its true light. But when we attain an inward peace, our passions are mastered and we clearly see who we are and where we are going. You see, it is impossible to be a good servant of God and to labor in His vineyard in whatever position, with any success, unless inner peace is attained first.

"People value this peace above all else, but it is obvious that they cannot attain it from those who do not have it themselves. So many sermons, books, and exercises, produce no effects because they are not born out of inner peace, in contemplation and detachment. But when you attain inner peace, everything is all right because God is with you. Only in deep inward peace can we see God and understand His Will.

“What helps, Father,” I asked the recluse, “To obtain inward peace?”

The Elder answered: Patient enduring of sorrows and pure prayer.

SourceElder Michael the Blind

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Elder MichaelII ofValaam&Pskov

Post by Barbara »

"In Pskov, Elder Michael continued to serve Liturgy daily. as before. He did not attend the monastery church but would serve alone in his cell at night, commemorating upwards of 8000 names at the, Proskomedia.

And these were not just names; these were living souls, individual faces whose needs he placed with such love at the Throne of the Almighty God. 
 His all-night Liturgies ceased only when His eyesight began to fail altogether.., and he began to weaken physically. Realizing that he had reached the end of his earthly pilgrimage, the elder began to prepare himself for the journey to the other world.

He was given Unction and, after having received the Body and Blood of Christ for the last time, he peacefully departed to the Lord on Sunday, April 15,1962. Two days later, to the singing of the canon, “My Helper and Protector”, his coffin was carried around the church of the Meeting of the Lord, before being taken into the caves and lowered into the grave which Elder Michael had himself prepared."

https://roca.org/oa/volume-iii/issue-29 ... r-michael/

Interesting that this year, 2024, April 15/28 also occurred on a Sunday, Palm Sunday.

In the 1st post here, the interlocutor is most assuredly Sergius Bolshakoff> about whom we have a thread here which mentions Elder Michael a few times.

Probably the only photo of Elder Michael, the one above, was taken by Sergius Bolshakoff. Usually, they are sized down, but I like this version which shows more of his cell.

For the earlier thread, see :

Serge Bolshakov - a great ecumenist of the ROCOR - The Saint Euphrosynos Cafe 

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

"In the Soviet era Valaam Monastery was for many years under the jurisdiction of the Orthodox Church of Finland, which introduced the new calendar and planned other Church reforms. The monks who refused to accept the reforms were severely punished. The “Old Calendarists” defended the old Julian calendar and the genuine Orthodox Paschalia, regarding the innovation as a war against Church tradition, and dangerous Renovationism.

Fr. Michael headed the resistance of the defenders of the old calendar and called on everybody to “preserve the purity of Orthodoxy”. With a group of monks he was forced to move from Valaam to Finland, and then, in 1957, at the venerable age of eighty he came to the Pskov Caves Monastery. When he lived in Finland, he used to say: “Sorrows and suffering purify Russian people.”
"The Russian land is “the land of martyrs, the land of confessors of faith; soaked in the blood of the martyrs, it is being ‘refined’ just as gold is purified by fire. Even if the cross or the martyrdom awaits me there, I want to die in my motherland alongside my people.”
Fr. Michael always referred to the Church inside Russia as “the Russian Orthodox Church of the Confessors”, though abroad it was often called, “the Soviet Church”. [<yes !]

For more than thirty years, Fr. Michael performed a very rare kind of ascetic feat [“podvig” in Russian] on Valaam—he was a recluse and an elder at the same time. He was the Valaam brethren’s father-confessor. He would live in remote Valaam sketes or in a solitary cell, and he celebrated the daily Divine Liturgy for forty-one years! He practiced contemplative prayer (hesychasm) and eventually attained dispassion, which he called “inner stillness”.

Fr. Hippolytus recalled how once he had seen Fr. Michael surrounded by supernatural fire as he walked. The Lord showed him the elder’s degree of perfection.

In his instructions Fr. Michael would stress that humility and love are the most important things in spiritual life. Love for one’s neighbor can save even an inveterate, hardened sinner: “Love covers all”.

He encouraged creating good conditions for prayer: “Above all maintain the peace of your heart, be patient, humble, contrite, and, most importantly, keep peace of mind. Avoid the things that crowd out your peace. You need to pay close attention to yourself and exercise discretion in order not to lose the most precious thing—peace of mind. Never judge anyone, and then peace will reign in your heart. Learn to keep silence.”

The elder distinguished between two kinds of silence. Firstly, this is silence as lack of response to any malice. But, secondly, there is the more important inner stillness—spiritual peace and hesychia. Holy elders attain this state: they can talk all day long, while preserving inner stillness.

Fr. Michael taught: “You need to try and attain a calm spirit, for there can be nothing good in a passionate soul.” This is what the true “hermit’s life and reclusion” are like—“the Kingdom of God, rightly understood”, where the Jesus prayer unceasingly serves God inside one’s heart. This peace begins to reign once all thoughts of judgment have stopped.

The state of hesychia, a calm spirit, shows the heart’s depth, and an ascetic truly perceives his sinfulness. This leads to deep repentance and purification: “Purity of heart is vital! Only blessed hesychia raises you to the holy purity of the heart. It is sincerity, truthfulness, and purity of heart that underlie all the main things.” Fr. Michael, who knew the things he taught his monks by his own experience, used to say that this is “an ideal, a feat which is beyond our strength!”

The elder taught his spiritual children to fight and become winners in spiritual warfare. Nun Maria (Stakhovich), his spiritual daughter, recalled his precepts: “Enduring many hardships—this is our sacrifice to God. The Lord tests our faithfulness by sorrows. All who choose the monastic path will encounter sorrows and trials. The strongest will face them at the beginning, and the weakest will experience them at the very end lest they take flight. But don’t be afraid of anything. Divine grace won’t abandon a monk as long as he doesn’t turn away from God. Don’t try to avoid sorrows and suffering; have courage and determination to endure all things for God’s sake. Resist and struggle, and let the Lord decide the rest. >>It is impossible to avoid sorrows from demons; if they are unable to do you harm, they will send people to do it in their stead. It will take a lot of attention and effort.”

The elder bitterly lamented the defects of monastic life in his time, particularly phariseeism, worldliness, and the loss of the true monastic spirit.

He would say with sadness that there was vanity everywhere, that the world with its corrupt customs was introducing new rules into the monasteries. The elder referred to the Pharisees of the time with their self-righteous hypocrisy as to “hairsplitters”. “Even if you read all the prayer rules in the world, your soul won’t benefit from this if you don’t have a broken and contrite heart. Take the first commandment and take pains to obey it—it’ll be your rule! But if you stand through all services, read all prayers, and act in compliance with the monastic rule without cleansing yourself inwardly, you will be like the Pharisees. Don’t be a hairsplitter! This is not to say that the rules and discipline shouldn’t be observed; we must abide by these rules, but if we do it in this manner, we will bring condemnation on ourselves.”

Fr. Michael’s favorite maxim was: “Love everybody and avoid everybody.”

https://pravoslavie.ru/sas/image/103073/307322.p.jpg?mtime=1545659373

From the reminiscences of Schema-Archimandrite Kensorin (Fyodorov):

"In 1962, I was blessed to become the Valaam elders’ cell-attendant. I performed this holy obedience for eight years—the Lord was extremely merciful to me! The Valaam elders lived in the St. Lazarus living quarters. They always gave me a cordial welcome, and I was so happy with my new obedience and took care of them with love. I felt their prayers, and my heart was filled with the Holy Spirit. It is impossible to express the impressions of my communication with them.

Fr. Michael poured out his love on everybody and was lenient towards human weakness. Everywhere he was concerned about the salvation of others, with all his heart striving to satisfy the highest demand of God—the commandment of love. He loved seclusion. Whenever I had an opportunity to speak to Fr. Michael, he would say: “Living in the monastery, I knew only two paths: to the church and to my cell.”

For several years he lived in complete seclusion, celebrating the Divine Liturgy in his cell on a daily basis. I would bring prosphora and hot water to his cell. Fr. Michael loved all who came to him. After the departure of some visitors he would lie in bed, feeling very unwell, in some cases for several days. He gave his grace to his visitors and took their infirmities instead.

Fr. Michael wanted to die on either Pascha or the Annunciation. At the end of Great Lent, on the feast of Annunciation, he passed away. 

Before his repose he invoked a multitude of saints, so many saints that I marveled at his ability to remember the names of all of them.

Fr. Hippolytus cared for and devoted much attention to Fr. Michael when the latter was sick. He would spend a lot of time inside Fr. Michael’s cell, reading the Gospel for hours.

We, modern monks, will never achieve the perfection of the Valaam elders.

They were real spiritual guides: they took their spiritual children by the hand and guided them in the way of salvation.

Ascetics are the salt of the earth; monasticism will disappear without ascetics, and the world won’t be able to exist without monasticism.

The Succession of Elders: From Valaam Monastery to the Pskov Caves Monastery. Nadezhda Shelepova  

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

This is listed as a photo of Elder Michael II. It's rare, if so.
The link to the photo itself doesn't work, I don't think.
But for the historical record, here is the link to view it [on Flickr] :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ortodox/4830333916/in/photostream/