Being Recieved into Orthodoxy

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
PFC Nektarios

Being Recieved into Orthodoxy

Post by PFC Nektarios »

Slava Isusu Christu!

I was wondering, if I could appon request be recieved into Holy Orthodoxy by the 3 Mysteries of Initiation (Baptism,Chrismation, Eucharist).
I dont want to be (Re-Chrismated) to be accepted into Orthodoxy. Is this possiable in any main stream Orthodox Jurisdictions such as the Antiochian or the Greek Orthodox Churches?

In Christ

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

OrthodoxLearner,

I recall you are "Byzantine Catholic"?

You absolutley would not be baptized by the OCA, as they believe you are already Baptized, which is part of their ecumenist heresy. I know from reading another website that they have severly censured thier "priests" for doing so, and other "priests" have left them because of this.

Almost all Greek ecumenists would insist on "Chrismating" you, but you may yet find a few "conservative" ecumenists pulled in from Greece (they have a shortage of 'priests') who would "baptize" you.

The Antiochian ecumensits would insist on Chrismation. I believe a person who has not posted here in awhile was Protestant and they refused him baptism.

I even think the ROCOR would Chrismate you!

But alas, the Jerusalem Patriarchate ecumenists would give you their "baptism", but of course they are part of the same communion of heresy; so what would be the difference?

I'm not sure how the Monophysites (new memebers of "world Orthodoxy") would receive you, perhaps you can ask Mor Ephrem.

There are other members of the ecumenist church, but I don't know what they would do.

I must now ask, if you are running from the Latin heresy (as you should), why bother being received by those bishops who profess the same as you do now, that the Latins are part of the church of Christ? Why bother indeed?

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

OrthodoxLearner,

If I may ask, how exactly were you 'baptized' previously?

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

OrthodoxyOrDeath wrote:

I even think the ROCOR would Chrismate you!

Only speaking from experiance; When went over to ROCOR from the Ukrainians I asked to be baptised as was. The 'best man' (the one that held the crown) at my wedding was baptized by the Synod we he came over from the Antiochians. I have to say they that in my case I was told by the ROCOR priest that I was received properly, at least according to Russian practise. Still he had me write up a request to be baptized and why and I was.

Chrysostomos

Answer to question

Post by Chrysostomos »

Orthodox Learner,

I have only had personal experience with the OCA and ROCOR. As to the OCA, I think you should ask your local OCA priest the question. I believe that our priest would baptize you, if you asked to do so. As to the ROCOR, once again, I believe they would baptize you. I personally saw such a "baptism" take place. I will not profess to know how other jurisdictions would respond, as someone else might profess to knowing how each and every juridiction would react. I think you just need to ask.
While others on the board might try to persuade you to not come into the Church via "World Orthodoxy", but will via their jurisdiction, I will not do so. I say come, taste and see....

With humble bow,

Reader Chrysostomos

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Daniel,

Thank you for that, I only said that as I thought they practiced as many Russians do/did when it comes to "Byzantine Catholics".

Chysostomos,

Having been in the OCA, this was one of the issues which confronted me and troubled me greatly, so I investigated this very thoroughly. I know that it is mandatory practice not to baptize Latins or even most Protestants. But what is most important about this practice isn't about their errant method of reception, it's mostly that they recognize "grace" in those heretical "baptisms", for which the Holy Canons of the Church demand these priests to be deposed.

Besides my experience, there are "Agreed Statements", articles by their current and former deans, and a host of other documents available to show this is true. I would truly be amazed if you could show anything to the contrary. I would recommend you ask your OCA priest if he would baptize a "Byzantine Catholic"; and when he informs you that he would not, ask him why. Be prepared for the answer however.

Here is one of the great many examples to be found.

Clearly this article, written by an OCA bishop and hosted by the OCA, is another one of the many confessions that they recognize heretical baptisms.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Another extreme is the denial of grace just because of the "form was incorrect" or did not correspond to the teaching or practice of the Orthodox Church. Baptism by immersion in water is the accepted norm because it is the symbol of "being buried with Christ." However, the Church has always accepted a baptism as being "with grace" in such cases when an immersion was not possible, as in the case of illness or just prior to death. A contact with water in any form was acceptable. Every priest knows of such cases, especially with babies. Some Orthodox Churches, such as the Serbian Church, do not practice full immersion due to historical reasons. No one ever had the idea to say that all Serbians cannot be considered baptized or that they should all be rebaptized.

I have read that these cases are exceptions to the general rule that requires thrice immersion per Apostolic Canons.