How to Greet a Monk or Nun

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

joasia wrote:

When anyone came respectfully to Abba Macarius, desiring to hear some exhortation from him, he received no answer at all. But if anyone came despising Macarius and did violence to him in such words as these, "Lo you there, father Macarius! You used to be a camel-driver, and steal the salt. How your master used to beat you when he caught you robbing him!" willingly, even joyfully, Macarius used to speak to such a man of whatever he wished to hear.

Why is that? Sorry, my computer is tempermental and I couldn't make the link.

The devil comes bearing phrases of flattery. Humble saints do not want to hear flattery because they don't want to fall into sin.

A saint will not return evil for evil, but will earnestly try to save the souls of unbelievers.

Those Christians who came to St. Macarius with pride in their souls or with no real desire to repent were not given an answer. The saints could often read souls and know that their intentions were not to please God. Saints like St. Macarius did not receive all visitors in order to prevent a visitor from pridefully returning home and telling everyone how well Macarius received him.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

A saint will not return evil for evil, but will earnestly try to save the souls of unbelievers.

That is a great lesson for all of us to practice. When someone tries to hurt us, we should be kind to them(out of compassion). satan hates that.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

It is better to offend men than God. God rejoices when he sees us running to meet dishonour, so as to crush, strike and destroy our vain self-esteem.

-- St. John Climacus

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: How to Greet a Monk or Nun

Post by Matthew »

A wonderful and awesome quote, Maria.