Deaconesses, Baptism and Catechumens

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Deaconesses, Baptism and Catechumens

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I have seen the idea of deaconesses argued on many forums, but it seems no one was ever able to define the use.

However in discussing Baptisms today, Father George explained it in a way that made perfect sense.

In the early Christian Era. Men and women were in the Catechumanate for 3 years. All the male catechumens lived with one another, as did the women in a catechumen house on the church property.

At the end of the Liturgy of the Catechumens they left and went to lessons.

When it came to baptize them, the were batized naked! (They were batized seperately)

To prevent the priest from seeing the women naked, the deaconesses would hold a sheet up over his eyes. With his hand he would push the woman's head down for the 3 'dunkings' and recite the formula while the deaconesses would assist the women getting in the water and holding the sheet up.

With this description, it made perfect sense as to why there were deaconesses and why we no longer need them today.

Logos

Post by Logos »

How do you feel about bringing back the deaconate for women?

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

It was my understanding that Deaconesses didn't just "cover eyes," but actually did the baptism. I'll have to search around for information on this.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Clarification

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Logos, obviously there is no longer a reason for deaconesses. Which was not the deaconate for women, it was a different role than that of a deacon.

Paradosis, yes they did the dunking too, as the priest ony pushed down the head of the woman. Sorry I was not clear on this. But their role was to assist in the baptism, as obviously a priest could not do this with naked women.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I'm sorry I misunderstood, Nicholas! :)

As a related topic, didn't Saint Nektarios allow deaconesses? I seem to remember that in the book I read about him.

Logos

Post by Logos »

My fear about those who support and advocate bringing back the deaconnesses, is that they will be the same people who support the ordination of women to the priesthood.

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

As a related topic, didn't Saint Nektarios allow deaconesses? I seem to remember that in the book I read about him.

The way I understand it is that the nuns at his Monastery at Aegina served at the altar. This was only done out of need though since it is hard to find a man around where they aren't allowed (except for priests!).