Deaconesses, Baptism and Catechumens

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

To Logos:

First of all I never advocated women as priests....we have enough things to worry about without taking on this burden too. You gentlemen need never fear that I (and for that matter any women...if she's truly honest about it!) would want this job. Besides there are enough things that women can do within the church structure, without venturing into that particular realm.

To Julianna:

First of all, you still have not explained why the idea of an altar girl is so wrong. Or what you base such a statement on.

Secondly, your responce also tells me that you don't understand the role of an altar boy, either his function or what he gains from the experience. Helping to see what the priest does is hardly the most important thing that an altar boy gains. You neglect to mention the respect for his faith, the disciple, pride, patience, and so much more. For the boy does not stand in the presence of the priest, but he stands in the presence of God and all that is Holy! Any girl who receives the priviledge of serving GOD in this manner walks away from the experience with no less.

Thirdly, if someone is scandalized by such a sight as a girl serving God in his altar, then they need to be informed and I'm sure the priest would have done so. Especially since a girl serving would indicate to me that there is hardly any one in church anyway, otherwise there would have been a man (young or old) to do the serve.

So I await your responce as to why you feel this is an incorrect practice.

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

Another thought....I would be interested in hearing what the gentlemen of this forum gained from their experience as an altar boy...either as a child or as a grown man.

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

I was recieved into Orthodoxy on January 4th of this year, and I have been an altar boy ever since. It has been a great blessing and joy. It has given me a very good understanding of what goes on during the liturgies and a deep joy from them. There are a lot less distractions as well than the average parish setting. IME there is a much greater intamicy with the liturgy when you are serving at the altar, but it is hard to articulate exactly.

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

I agree with what Nektarios has said about there being fewer distractions when serving as an acolyte. Fewer distractions usually means you end with a deeper connection to what is happening during the liturgy. Also, for judgemental types like myself, it keeps you focused on the liturgy and thinking less about those around you(why is this girl wearing jeans?, why won't this baby stop crying?, etc.).
Serving when there is a bishop present is a different story. You become so concerned with doing everything correctly because the service is different, that it's difficult to stay focused or prayerful.

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

Thank you Peter and Nektarios for your posts about your experiences. I am suprised though that there weren't more posts from the gentlemen who post here.

And, I'm still wondering if Julianna can justify her anti-altar-girl postings... There is so much written in history that is anti-women that when I find something written by a women... against women, I try to seek an understanding of such a position.

Qh well.....

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Since I wasn't an altar boy, I can't say anything personally. However, I know my Father was a Catholic altar boy and it left him with a distanced though freely acknowledged respect for Catholicism, though he doesn't really know anything about the church he respects. I hope a lot of Orthodox altar boys don't have an experience similar to that of my father.

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

Justin:
The nice thing about Orthodoxy is that you can be an altar "boy" at any age. If you have not had this experience, then I would recommend that you give it a try. My brother is over 40 and still an altar boy... :D Can't seem to get him out of there!

Liudmilla