the monastic life

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

the monastic life

Post by demetrios karaolanis »

I would like to ask if anyone on this forum is a monk and if so what lead you to it? how did it work out for you? I would just like to start a general monastic discussion thread as well. so write what you think.

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

Since this is just a general discussion thread I'll add my two cents about monasticism: I live an hour's drive from Saint Anthony's Monastery in AZ (the big Elder Ephraim Monastery). Being a new convert is has had a hugme impact on my life. A functioning monastery is a beacon of Orthodoxy like nothing else this side of heaven. When I go there I can focus so much more so than anywhere else. I truly understand the feeling of Saint Vladimir, "I knew not whether I was in heaven or earth." I would really encourage anyone to spend as much time as they can visiting monasteries, they are simply awesome. For a good sampling of the monastic spirit, read Elder Ephraim's "Counsels from the Holy Mountains"

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I'll say up front that I am not a monk, I am a layman.

I seriously considered monasticism at one point in my life. It seemed like a good fit for me.. at least I thought so at the time. The best advice I can give you is: don't think that you'll "enjoy" monasticism. Only a very few saints, who were/are of a naturally meek and loving disposition, can "enjoy" monasticism from the start. Some of the stories and texts of the Church Fathers (e.g., Saint John Cassian) are very helpful in helping to see what our mindset ought to be when becoming monastics. Here's some words to ponder by Aphrahat:

"Hearken then, my beloved, unto that which I write unto thee, namely, whatsoever things become solitaries, monks, virgins, saints. Before all things it beseems the man on whom the yoke is laid, that his faith should be firm; as I wrote to thee in the first epistle; that he should be zealous in fasting and prayer; that he should be fervent in the love of Christ; and should be humble and mild and wise. And let his speech be peaceful and pleasant, and his thought be sincere with all. Let him speak his words duly weighing them, and set a barrier to his mouth from harmful words, and let him put far from him hasty laughter. Let him not love the adornment of garments, nor again does it become him to let his hair grow long and adorn it, or to anoint it with sweet-scented unguents. Let him not recline at feastings, nor does it become him to wear gorgeous apparel. Let him not dare to exceed at wine."

"Let him put far from him proud thoughts. It does not become him to look upon gorgeous apparel. or to wear fine raiment. Let him put away from him a crafty tongue; let him drive from him envy and wrath, and cast away from him crafty lips. The words that are spoken about a man, when he about whom they are spoken is not near, let him not hear nor receive, that he sin not, until he search them out. Mockery is a hateful fault, and to bring it up upon the heart is not right. Let him not lend and take interest, and let him not love avarice. Let him suffer wrong and not do wrong. Furthermore, let him put away from him turmoil, and words of jesting let him not utter. Let him not scorn any man who is repenting of his sins, and let him not mock his brother who is fasting, and him that cannot fast let him not put to shame. Where he is received, let him reprove, and where they receive him not, let him understand his own honour. In an acceptable time let him speak his word; otherwise, let him be silent. Let him not for his belly's sake make himself despised by his begging, and to such an one as fears God let him reveal his secret; but let him keep himself from the evil (man)."

"Let him not speak in complaisance with a wicked man, nor with his enemy. And so let him contend as to have no enemy at all. When men envy him in that which is good, let him add to his goodness, and let him not be harmed because of envy. When he has, and gives to the poor, let him rejoice; and when he has not, let it not grieve him. With a wicked man let him have no converse and with a contemptuous man let him not speak, lest he give himself to contempt. With a blasphemer let him not dispute, lest his Lord be blasphemed on his account. Let him depart from a slanderer, and let no man please another man with speciousness of words. These things beseem solitaries who take up the heavenly yoke, and become disciples of Christ. For thus it befits the disciples of Christ to be like unto Christ their Master." - Aphrahat, Demonstration 6: Of Monks, 8

If you go to a monastery, and you hate doing dishes, you'll be doing then for the next few decades. If you hate peeling potatoes, you'll be the one in charge of that task. If there is a large rock--let's say 2 ton--on the monastery property, the abbot might tell you to go and move it to the other side of the property. If he insists you try, then you have to try. If you are told that you must keep quiet until further notice, then you must do it; it does not matter whether you think your "ministry" or "gift" requires talking. In essence, monasticism--at least in a traditional monastery, from what I understand--is meant to break your self-will, so that you can learn to rely on God and him only.

Most people who want to be monstics have a romanticized view of monasticism--I know I did for a long time (the same thing goes for the Priesthood, for that matter). But what is monasticism? It's washing the floor on your hands and knees. It's going to a 3 hour liturgy and standing on your feet when you have a migraine -- and probably not taking any pain medication. Monasticism is going without a shower, without nice clothes, without a comfortable bed, and learning to think yourself least among men. In some monasteries this isn't true, and things are a bit more relaxed, and I wouldn't--nor could--judge them. Each monastery does as God calls it to do. Still, the monasteries that you're going to read about in lives of the saints are usually focused on asceticism (sometimes extreme), or some other such renunciation of pleasures.

If all of this hasn't scared you away, then maybe monasticism is for you :D

Justin

PS. The above are obviously my own personal views, but I did try to base them on reading texts on monasticism (e.g., The Arena, Chitty's The Desert, A City, John Cassian's works, Sayings from the Desert Fathers, and some other miscellaneous Fathers who touch on the subject.)

demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

thank you for your realistic view of the monastery, I am always glad when I can find someone to tell me upfront what a monastery is really like. I wish to grow closer to god at any cost. to me it matters not where the body rests, but upon the state of the soul. I am right now seriously considering monasticism is why I asked. I hope to hear more on this thread.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

We do have a Brother Nicholas here who is a monk, but not yet tonsured due to health problems (IIRC), hopefully he will chime in soon.

demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

I am very iscolated from my brethren out here in the midwest, I have a three hour drive to church but it is alright. I have only met a few monks in my time but I have deeply studdied monastic spirituality. I hope to hear more discussion on the subject here in the future.

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

Monasticism is a decision that cannot be made alone. This is one of those things where you really need a good sprotual father to guide and advise you. Within monasticism you are making a promise to God, a vow,an obefiance, an agreement. if there is any doubt that you can keep such a thing than reconsider your thought. One of the best ways I have ever heard of, for making a decision to become a monk, is to spend some time (like a vacation) at a monastery and to participate within the community as much as possible. Express your intentions to the Abbot of the monastery and he will guide you.