Orthodox New Testament

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
The Apostate

Post by The Apostate »

Thank you, mlillios.

I'm very pleased to hear that it is definite. Of course I'm happy to wait for as long as it takes for something of this quality and spiritual value, but do we have any idea of a timescale for its completion?

Many thanks.

buzuxi

Post by buzuxi »

This would be wonderful if we have a truly Orthodox new testament.
While i think the "Orthodox New Testament" is fantastic from what i understand mother Mariam isnt a greek scholar. The one thing in that volume is Luke 1.48 where the greek word makaria used in the verb form was translated as "happy". this is wrong, classical greek has other words for happy/fortunate such as eudaimon, eutyches, chreistos, Makaria /makariousi should have been translated alot better.. The same exact word is used in james 5.11 as in Luke 1.48 even a casual reader will find it unusual to count the persecuted as "happy".

Pensees

Post by Pensees »

Holy Apostles Convent's, besides the NKJV, is the best English version of the New Testament which I have ever read.

Brigid

Post by Brigid »

I'm also glad to have read the recommendations for the Orthodox New Testament and found a brand new copy of the one-volume edition on uk e-bay at £10 less than the selling price on Amazon. I was so impressed by the translation, the quality and the feel of the whole thing that I couldn't wait to get the 2-volume edition. Orthodox Christian Books in the UK offer each volume at £40, but I found an almost mint copy through Advanced Book Exchange UK at £36 for both. The books arrived in less than a week here in Ireland all the way from Salt Lake City. As others have already said, the 2-volume Orthodox New Testament is in a whole different league to the Orthodox Study Bible. I found the icons really illustrate the text in a way that those in the OSB don't and the patristic commentary and the quality of the reference articles is wonderful to have. I will still be glad to have the one-volume edition for travelling though, but the 2-volume edition is everything I've ever wanted from a Bible.

So anyone on this side of the pond might want to check ABE UK as it pays to shop around.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/

Brigid

Pensees

Post by Pensees »

I am currently selling my one-volume copy of The Orthodox New Testament on Amazon, to hopefully later purchase the full patristic versions. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

Peace.

Orthodox11

Post by Orthodox11 »

mlillios wrote:

If we can remain patient, the complete Holy Orthodox Bible is still being completed by Mr. Peter Papoutsis. This edition will likely avoid such "Orthodox New Testament" quirks as rendering the Theotokos' name as Miriam in some places and Mary in others, as well as refusing to translate Iakovos as James as a matter of unsubstantiated principle (see the Tydale English New Testament of 1526 and the Rheims English New Testament of 1582, both predating the KJV by decades and neither subserviant to King James of England).

Personally, I was quite happy that the ONT retained the original Hebraic form "Mariam" where this occurs in the original Greek.

Their use of Iakovos, as opposed to James or Jacob, is no different from the use of Hellenised forms elswehere. However, I do think they could have been more consistent in this respect.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Oops, for some reason this topic was "stickied" and I just now realized it. While I still love the ONT as the best English version of the Bible that I personally know of and have read completely, I do not think that warrants a "sticky", so I shall "unsticky" this thread now. Its popularity will likely bump it back up to the top regularly anyhow.