Look at this!

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
romiosini

Look at this!

Post by romiosini »

Lord Have Mercy!

Last edited by romiosini on Sat 17 September 2005 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seraphim Reeves

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

I find the pokgrov website very saddening. While I don't know enough about the particular situations mentioned by the people writing their upset letters to that site, what is obvious is that they have a disdain for monasticism in principle, and this disdain seems to stem from ignorance about Orthodoxy itself.

The Holy Scriptures are filled with hard sayings. According to our Lord, perfection is to be found in abandoning a worldly life and following Him. He says plainly that anyone who places even their own parents or blood relations ahead of Him, is unworthy of Him. It was He Who said "let the dead bury the dead."

St.James writes in his Epistle, that the love of this world is hateful to God. St.Paul writes guidelines about modesty which if taken seriously by enough people, would put the cosmetics industry out of business.

Monasticism is simply an attempt to faithfully observe the calling directed at all Christians (ie. there is not one Christianity for monks, another for laymen.) As such, it is a sign of contradiction against all worldliness, just as the Saviour Himself was. Perhaps it is not surprising then, that monasticism is so liable to be misunderstood and subject to scorn.

I was very disappointed to see parish clergy chiming in with the laity. While such things do not definitively prove anything, they are accidental signs, evidences of the basic state of much of the GOA and similar groups.

Seraphim

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

While such things do not definitively prove anything, they are accidental signs, evidences of the basic state of much of the GOA and similar groups.

There was a very anti monastic spirit in parts of the Russian Church during Tsarist times, to the point of persecuting monastics. Look at the life of Saint Paisius who lives outside of Russia. He wasn't even allowed to send patristic literature published at his monastery back into the Russian empire. The bishops thought Elder Leonid of Optina was introducing inovations and tried to stop his eldership.

In the GOA there are many parish priest who support Elder Ephraim and monasticsim. The church of Greece (state) has seen a number of saintly elders in recent times... so there is more than meets the eye.

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Lord Have Mercy!

Last edited by romiosini on Sat 17 September 2005 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PFC Nektarios

Post by PFC Nektarios »

On Athos, parents cannot see their children once they enter the Monastic Life or visit them, the way Parents do to their Children who entered Monasticism here in America.

Really?

In Christ
Nektarios

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

"He who loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me...."

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Lord Have Mercy!

Last edited by romiosini on Sat 17 September 2005 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.