Question about Hours

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

The Jordanville Unabbreviated Horologion Says ...

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Christ is Born!

I believe the Jordanville Unabbreviated Horologian tells exactly when they are done. The HTM Horologion is very good, but it is too bad it does not tell when they are done.

The Unabbreviated Jordanville Horologion wrote:

According to present-day udage, the Inter-Hours are said only on the first day of the Apostles' Fast and on the first day of the Nativity Fast if it begin on a weekday. When the Inter-Hours are said, there is no Liturgy. According to the Nikolsky Ustav the Inter-Hours are not appointed during Great Lent when the Kathosmata and readings from The Ladder are appointed at the Hours.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I gave our Great Horologion (HTM) away last year, but I still seem to recall reading about the mid-hours in the introduction in there as well... perhaps my memory is just going fuzzy, though. ???

chrsstms

The Hours

Post by chrsstms »

Greetings!

Christ is Born!
Glorify Him!

No, Justin, your memory is not going fuzzy. In the Preface, page 11, it says:

As in the original Greek editions, each Mid-Hour follows immediately after its proper Hour. The Mid-Hours are not read during the Holy and Great Fast or on Saturdays and Sundays, but are read on fast days in which "Alleluia" has been chanted in Matins.

And besides, WHEN they are said was not the question. "WHAT are they?" was. What is their history? What do they symbolise? When were they introduced into the Horologion? What is the story behind them?

Thank you!

Chrysostomos

JAMESthePERSIAN
Jr Member

Post by JAMESthePERSIAN »

spyridon wrote:

The begining of a new day
Vespers 6 p.m.
Compline 9 p.m.
nocturne/midnight office 12 midnight
Matins 3 a.m.
first hour 6 a.m.
third hour 9 a.m.
six hour 12 noon
ninth hour 3 p.m.

Thanks Spyridon!!!
I though this important to add......
These are the ancient "Roman Watch" hours, and corespond exactly to the hours mentioned in scripture.