Totally off-topic

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

A cross is not a piece of jewelry to be worn on display. When I was a in my early twenties a spritiual father of mine told me that a cross is worn for protection, it should be worn concealed, never on "display". Taking heed of his words I bought a chain which was specifically long enough so that it hangs well below any cut of clothing. Once when I had it out, my parish priest reached over and slipped it under my blouse and gently reminded me to keep it under wraps. :)

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

LIUDMILLA wrote:

A cross is not a piece of jewelry to be worn on display.

The cross is a statement of Christ's love for us. Period. End of discussion -- whether the person wearing it considers it a piece of jewelry or not.

It is what it is.

And I can think of no learned person on this earth who, when seeing the cross, does NOT relate it to Christianity.

It's really very simple. Why must it be difficult?

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Natasha
Sr Member

Post by Natasha »

I seriously have never heard that...in fact, I remember an older lady from Ru telling me that back home her Priest would get very angry if someone would try to receive communion and did not have their cross clearly visible. Hmm...

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

I always thought the traditional thing was that women displayed their cross, whereas men did not. Speaking of crosses (and unfortunately, of material things) I really like the silver/blue enamel Soldier's Cross that they sell online. It's really nice (especially 'cos I'm a soldier, heheh). But I would be happy with just a cheap wooden one (I broke the chain on the other one in my sleep awhile ago). Does anyone know where to get a nice, affordable wooden cross to wear? I feel kind of bad not wearing one.

sue57

Post by sue57 »

Try Ebay. They have some very nice Orthodox items. There was another site too, that had very affordable wooden and brass crosses, but it will take me awhile to find it.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Sarov Press & Icon Corner has a real nice wooden cross for sale at http://wwwsarovpress.com

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

This is a good site for crosses....a little pricy sometimes but good selection.....

http://www.gallerybyzantium.com/