The Rebels and the Yankees

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Грешник
Sr Member

Post by Грешник »

I worked with the Yaqui's for three years on their reservation on AZ.. does that count? :D :mrgreen: :wink:

Reader Benjamin

Post by Reader Benjamin »

Joe,

What part of Arkansas were you? I moved to Colorado from Arkansas, North Central, small town known for throwing turkies out of an airplane one weekend out of the year, this event is called Turky Trot and it is celebrated in Yellville Arkansas, named after a Cilvil war general. He paid 25 or 50 dollars for Shawneetown to change their name.

But alas I was not born and raised in the south, I am only a convert.

Joe Zollars

Post by Joe Zollars »

Reader Benjamin:

Why Lord do have mercy, this is truly a very small world. I'm from Harrison and can not enumerate the number of times I have been to yellville. Had some very distant relations down there at one point. Actually I should clarify that I was not from Harrison proper but rather just a short piece outside Harrison at the base of Gaither Mountain.

The town I was referring to earlier as the center of the Klan was, as you probably already know, Zinc a small town about 30 miles away from Harrison that does not have its own post office.

Patrick:

I do apologize for casting too many aspersions upon the birthplace of that most delectable of dishes-BBQ. It has been my experience however that what few yankees do live in the Holy Land (North and South Carolina), reside in Charleston. I could provide some names for the tarring and feathering committee. ;)

Joe Zollars

Reader Benjamin

Post by Reader Benjamin »

Dear Joe,

yes I remember Zink, though I was unaware that it is Klan headquarters, I'm uninformed about alot of things. I have a brother in Yellville, everyone else has moved to other places. It was my second time that I lived in Yellville that I became aware of the correct version of the war between the states.

I have lived in Yellville a total of 3 times. the first just before I joined the Navy in 1972, the second was in 93 to 98, then this last time, 01 to 03. The town did not change much though now it has a freds.

Padraig

Post by Padraig »

JoeZollars wrote:

Patrick:

I do apologize for casting too many aspersions upon the birthplace of that most delectable of dishes-BBQ. It has been my experience however that what few yankees do live in the Holy Land (North and South Carolina), reside in Charleston. I could provide some names for the tarring and feathering committee. ;)

Well now, we don't want to go too far in the other direction; I'm not giving Charleston credit for barbecue.

By the way, you said your family is from Ashe and Allegheny counties? That's pretty close to my favorite place on earth. My mother was born in Avery County, my grandfather in Mitchell County, and my grandmother in Watauga County. I love that part of the country. I'm originally from the Florida panhandle, and have lived in South Carolina for most of the last 30 years, but I hope to end up in Ashe or Watauga County someday.

Patrick

Natasha
Sr Member

Post by Natasha »

Joe, there is no way that you could have visited NC anytime in the past 10 years....a "few" yankees down here...hahah... in a lot of the cities here it is almost impossible to find a native...just as an example, my next door neighbors are from Boston and Detroit!

Joe Zollars

Post by Joe Zollars »

now now lets not bring carpetbaggers into this;)

I was actually in Abbeville SC just a few months ago for a couple of days to visit the League building. I also do quite a bit of shopping in Abbeville over the internet (best Rebel Flags around you know). But I don't really visit the bigger cities ever--I can't stand being around too many people.

Rdr. Benjamin:

I didn't know that they had gotten a Fred's. They must be moving up in the world. Harrison just got a Freds about a year before we left. I still go back and shop there as it is a very good place and they have cheap 20 oz bottles of Coca Cola (at least the one in harrison had em at 85 cents apiece). BTW, you should get in touch with my good friend Mark who runs the Colorado League of the South out of Fort Collins. According to him Colorado Springs is an "honorary southern city."

Joe Zollars