What is your favorite type of Orthodox Christian chanting?

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

What is your favorite kind of Church chant?

Arabic or Syrian Style

4%

Byzantine or Greek Style

31%

Znameny or Old Believer Style

29%

Russian or Harmony Style

24%

Serbian or Whisper Style

No votes

Latin or Gregorian Style

2%

American or Protestant Style

No votes

Some other style I will post about here

10%

Total votes: 51

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

What is your favorite type of Orthodox Christian chanting?

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

FYI: I am talking about style, not the language it is sung or chanted in. Which is your favorite style? How about your second favorite kind? Why?

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

Byzantine Chant.

If I want to hear 4 part harmony - I will go to an Anglican service where they know how to do it right!

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

I'm gonna have to go with Byzantine, too, although my favorite is Arabic in the Byzantine style...

George

Post by George »

I have to put Russian as my favourite as it is what I am used to. Being Japanese Orthodox, the whole singing tradition is based on Russian 4-part harmony. The Japanese must be better singers than the ones Tom has encountered though. The first Orthodox service I went to was Holy Friday in Japan and the singing blew me away for want of a better phrase, and sparked my yearning for God. I also like Znamensky chant. In NZ we have English services at the Serbian Parish which I go to on Saturdays, and a mixture of styles is used though predominantly Byzantine.
I am a parish member of ROCOR (we have Priests come to our Parish ebery so often but no permanent priest) and sing in the choir.

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

Have to go with the Russian style...don't like English...it's not really a language condusive to liturgical singing....I have never heard Japanese, but German and Spanish lend themselves very well to liturgical singing. No offense intened to any Greeks here, but the greek chanting gives me a sinus headache :) I simply cannot listen to it very long. Must be the resonance. :wink:

Milla

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Carpatho Plain Chant

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

ducking I like the old Latin chanting that I used to hear when I was a member of the sspx 'church?' before I was Chrismated in the OCA but my favorite would be the Byzantine style and also the Russian 4part harmony chanting... I'm split between the two because I love Church Slavonik and that was the first kind I got used to when I first started going to Liturgy. So I guess that would make it a tie for me between the Byzantine plain chant and the Russian harmony chanting. :wink:

(I voted for other since there's more than one that I like)