Bible canon

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Gideon

Bible canon

Post by Gideon »

Could someone suggest a Bible in English that has the Orthodox canon and isn't too protestant?

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

From the portal:

With so many English New Testaments on the market, which version is most faithful to the original Greek? How do you choose one that reflects Orthodox perspective and theological content? Two Orthodox monasteries, Holy Apostles Convent and Dormition Skete, labored seven years, with a committee of contributors, to present this fully illustrated Orthodox translation, which has been diligently compared against the original Greek text, the authorized version (1912) of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and the King James Version. There was no compromise of accuracy and reliability in this brand-new translation which echoes the rhythms and idioms of the original Greek. This promises to be an enriched reading experience that gives you an in-depth understanding of God's word, answering commonly asked textual and theological queries for vital and penetrating insights into God's word. Experience the New Testament fully illustrated with Orthodox icons interspersed, thus complementing pertinent text so that you can reverently view Christ, His Mother, the Apostles, and many other biblical personalities, together with sacred events, Bible scenes, miracles, parables, and numerous apocalyptic depictions.

The first volume is the Evangelistarion: The Holy Gospels and the second volume is the Praxapostolos: Acts, Epistles, and Revelation by Holy Apostles Convent and Dormition Skete.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

As far as the OT goes, I'd suggest the New Oxford Annotated Bible With Apocrypha.

... Of course, asking for a Bible with all the books in "the Orthodox canon" is somewhat of a hard question to answer since the Orthodox do not have just one canon like the Catholics and Protestants do (ie. various local Orthodox Churches have various views on the canon). ;) The above Bible has all of the books that an Orthodox Christian could consider canonical, though. :)

Gideon

Post by Gideon »

Paradosis wrote:

As far as the OT goes, I'd suggest the New Oxford Annotated Bible With Apocrypha.

... Of course, asking for a Bible with all the books in "the Orthodox canon" is somewhat of a hard question to answer since the Orthodox do not have just one canon like the Catholics and Protestants do (ie. various local Orthodox Churches have various views on the canon). ;) The above Bible has all of the books that an Orthodox Christian could consider canonical, though. :)

I tried to order the Orthodox N.T. vol. 1 & 2 but ran into a couple of problems with the supplier. I was looking at the Oxford Bible but was worried about catholic/protestant notes that may mislead me. Can you tell how liberal in content it is? Are the books of the Bible in proper order? Would anyone suggest the RSV catholic edition?

Thank you

尼古拉前执事
Archon

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Gideon, is Amazon.com sold out or something? If so, you can buy direct from the convent at http://www.buenavistaco.com/GOC/HRDPUB.HTM

Gideon

Post by Gideon »

I ordered it from amazon and they kept pushing the date back on me...I'm not sure what the deal with them was. If I ordered it from the convent it would cost more then I'm willing to spend (after exchange on Canadian $$).

尼古拉前执事
Archon

Other ideas?

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I guess all I can suggest is wait for the delays to pass and get them then. I see they are saying 3-5 weeks on them now. They are worth the wait.

Or if you want to try Light-n-Life they have it at
http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/or ... um=OZNE105
and
http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/or ... um=OZNE100