Reception of OCA laypeople into the ROCOR

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Alexis in Alaska
Jr Member

Reception of OCA laypeople into the ROCOR

Post by Alexis in Alaska »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I would first like to comment that I think what you gentlemen are doing for Orthodox people in these sites and forums is great! My question is how do ROCOR clergy receive OCA laypeople? And just as an aside how would other Old Calendar Jurisdictions receive them. I am an Orthodox Christian of the OCA Diocese of Alaska.

Thank you!

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

AlaskanOrthodox,

Welcome to the forum. :) Strangely enough, my fiancee just asked a ROCOR Priest this tonight on the phone (she's OCA). Different Priests/Bishops might do things slightly differently, but this particular Priest told her that after she had definately decided to become ROCOR, all she'd have to do would be to go to confession and communion, and then she'd formally be ROCOR. May the Lord be with you!

Justin

Alexis in Alaska
Jr Member

Re: Post

Post by Alexis in Alaska »

Slava Isusu Christu!

Thank you for your answer! I am interested in learning more about ROCOR and traditional Orthodoxy. Here in Alaska we have only one ROCOR parish and it is a little store front one in Anchorage. The closest one to me really is St. Nicholas Cathedral in Seattle since I live in the southeast part of Alaska - I believe. The priest there, at St. James in Anchorage, told me, I just got off the phone with him, that, for me all I would have to do is register and participate in parish life, which of course includes Confession and the Eucharist. We will see what God has planned for me :wink:

Although here in Alaska we have many wonderful Orthodox communities; I would not put them on par with the ROCOR; ROCOR is far ahead of us in really being ORTHODOX to the fullest degree. That of course is my opinion. :roll:

Thank you again for all your help.

In Christ,

Alexis

Serge

IMO

Post by Serge »

The difference is one of culture, not faith. The OCA has become an American church, with a calendar that fits in with American life; ROCOR has not - it is Russian. While ROCOR has done much good, producing saints, etc., I wouldn't describe one cultural manifestation (Russian vs. American) as 'more Orthodox'. Remember, phyletism is a heresy.

It makes sense that Eucharistic communion would make one a member of the congregation in ROCOR, with Confession as part of that, but don't think coming from another Orthodox church is a sin to confess!

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Welcome!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Glory to Him Forever! Slava Na Viki!

Dear Alexis,

Code: Select all

First off I offer you a welcome to this forum. I am glad to hear your opinions on ROCOR. Of course in Alaska, OCA is very Orthodox as I understand it without the modifications that are prevalent in the continuous 48. Plus the community feel of the Orthodox in Alaska is wonderful! However I am sad to hear that your bishop forbids you from visiting a ROCOR church. This happens down here by OCA priests as well and I think it relates directly with the fact that many converts may start in OCA but end up in ROCOR. Again, welcome and God Bless!
Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Alexis,

I would tend to agree with your opinion :) I also think that there is more than just a cultural difference between ROCOR and the OCA, though the differences in faith are hard to really discuss since they have not started to create a visible chasm between the two Churches (as there is a visible chasm that is easily seen between the Antiochians and the traditionalists on issues like inter-communion with non-chalcedonians)

Serge

Chasm

Post by Serge »

The only real reason there is a visible chasm between the two Churches is the Russian Revolution and the administrative chaos it caused. ROCOR, which we should remember is the Temporary Higher Administration of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad, claimed a mandate from Patriarch Tikhon over all ROs abroad, but America already had an established Russian Orthodox hierarchy (a full-fledged metropolia), which didn't take to having Russian exile bishops claiming authority over them.

The USSR is gone. Time to mend fences.