Favorite Philosophers?

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justin Kissel

Favorite Philosophers?

Post by Justin Kissel »

Who are your favorite philosophers?

I would make this into a poll, except I'd probably leave out half the philosophers that people would want to vote for, so I think it's just be simpler for people to post their answers.

For me, my favorite true (ie. divinely-inspired) philosopher would be St. Gregory the Theologian, and my favorite work of his would be either his 2nd or 40th Oration. My favorite secular philospher would be Nietzsche--not that I agree with him very often, obviously; he's just a very entertaining writer (so full of himself, so effeminate even as he tries to act manly, so self-refuting, etc.). I don't know that I feel comfortable picking out a favorite work in particular to read, considering that many of his works are very harshly anti-Christian.

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I suppose it would be Marcus Aurelius. Both my mother and I have copies of his meditations.

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Basil the Great, Metropolitan of Capadocia and Archbishop of Caesarea. :)

Seraphim Reeves

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

Justin and Etienne have, oddly enough, named two of my favourite extra-ecclessial philosophers. :)

Nietzche imho represents the dead end of despair and cynicism. Like Justin, I enjoy reading him not because I agree with many of his conclusions, but because the totality of his work is an instructive guide as to what not to do when one is working such things out in their heart - and because he really was (as Fr.Seraphim of Platina taught) the "prophet" of this present age.

I also have a copy of Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, and while perceiving the limitations of Stoicism in it, nevertheless find it (Stoicism) among the more reasonable "worldly" philosophies. In a similar vein, I enjoy reading Confuscius and Lao-Tzu as well.

I also find some of the arguments of the Anglican bishop/philosopher George Berkeley (1685-1753) to be worthwhile, particularly since some of his arguments still prove themselves to be dead-ends for radical materialism. Berkeley was if anything, the opposite of a materialist; he was a radical idealist, to the point that in his teaching "matter" as such is what cannot be assuredly demonstrated to have objective existance, not the "soul" or immaterial human consciousness.

Seraphim

Joshua F
Jr Member

Post by Joshua F »

Francis Bacon would be one not yet mentioned but worth reading; I particularly enjoyed digesting his "Wisdom of the Ancients" ("De Sapientia Veterum") over the course of a semester last year, though it is rather esoteric. His best points in my opinion have to do with his theory of education/instruction... very worthwhile for the critical homeschoolers and unschoolers among us. He is way ahead of the pack in terms of philosophy of education and some serious researchers are going back to him now, though he's from the Elizabethan era. Good stuff.

In terms of contemporary secular philosophy, Charles Taylor (a fellow Canadian!) stands out. He is really a philosopher's philosopher - lots of insight into the problems and contradictions of modernism and post-modernism. I think he fits in those hopelessly abstract categories because he wrote on an incredible gamut of topics, from ethical theory to human rights and language and his monumental Hegel... for a fascinating account of conflict over the nature of man since the dawn of western philosophy, you could do a lot worse than the first chapter of "Hegel".

Of course, as far as shadow puppets go, philosophy is fine... but for true enlightenment, we all know we must "have a drink of the Truth!" - I just wish it was easier to integrate that perspective into my political theory essays :ohvey: