Finally in Sitka, Alaska!

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Alexis in Alaska
Jr Member

Finally in Sitka, Alaska!

Post by Alexis in Alaska »

Slava Isusu Christu!

Lord, Bless!

Dear bretheren in Christ!

I am finally in the God protected city of Sitka, Alaska as of this last Friday! St. Michael's Russian Orthodox Cathedral (OCA) is wonderful! It has a splendid Ikonostasis and two chapels. The Archpriest Father John Zabinko is a wonderful man of God; and Matushka is also very kind and gracious. I am attending Sheldon Jackson College and hopefully will be working at the Westmark Hotel pretty soon. I started with All-Night Vigil and Confession on Saturday and Hours and Divine Liturgy today. The Divine Liturgy was half English and half Slavonic.
I was in heaven.

Many Years to all of you!

Lord, Bless!

In Christ God,

Alexis

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I am glad things are going well for you, Alexis /\ :) Praise be to God!

Ephraem
Jr Member

Post by Ephraem »

We will be in Sitka on Wednesday, Sept. 9th, during a stop on our honeymoon cruise. We are looking forward to visiting St. Michael's, as well as St. Nichalas' in Juneau. I find it somewhat disconcerting that these churches are also tourist attractions, but perhaps it will lead some people to God.

I'm woefully ignorant of Orthodox legacy in Alaska, having only read the first-third of a biography of St. Innocent, but I hope that I will be able to venerate some of America's first saints here. (Any particular books on Orthodoxy in Alaska to recommend?... I need some good cruise reading other than the Brothers K.)

Ephraem
~He who seeth his own sins, seeth not the sins of others.