Trip to Prague and Slovakia

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Trip to Prague and Slovakia

Post by Anastasios »

A Few Words about My Trip to Slovakia

My wife Michaela was born in Slovakia in 1980, and left there in 1986 when her father took the family out of Communism (it was a complex plan to basically escape). Because of this, Michaela's entire family still lives in either Slovakia, or Prague, the captial of the Czech Republic, which is next door.

I had never been to Slovakia so I was excited to go. On July 29 we left JFK Airport in New York, and departed for Amsterdam. It was an uneventful flight. We arrived and then took a connecting flight to Prague.

We were in Prague for five days, seeing all the sights. I liked Prague's architecture and food, but it was too touristy and somewhat licentious. We went to Slovakia, and that was more laid back, and Slovakia had a nice mix of cities and countryside, complete with mountains, lakes, forests, and fields.

We visited Presov by car, home of the Greek Catholic Church in Slovakia, and also the Orthodox Church in Presov which was under total reconstruction. The bookstores of both bodies were closed since it was Saturday

Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia, was another stop we made, this time by train. It was nice; lots of shopping, great looking buildings, and food. I bought nine books there, some to help me with my Slovak, and others were books in Slovak about various things.

We headed back to Prague and left from there on August 18 to return home. What a trip!

here are some photos:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/slovakia/index.html

anastasios

Disclaimer: Many older posts were made before my baptism and thus may not reflect an Orthodox point of view.
Please do not message me with questions about the forum or moderation requests. Jonathan Gress (jgress) will be able to assist you.
Please note that I do not subscribe to "Old Calendar Ecumenism" and believe that only the Synod of Archbishop Kallinikos is the canonical GOC of Greece. I do believe, however, that we can break down barriers and misunderstandings through prayer and discussion on forums such as this one.