Contra Fr. Seraphim Rose

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justin Kissel

Contra Fr. Seraphim Rose

Post by Justin Kissel »

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not looking to get into a debate here, but only looking for information! :)

I have read a number of booklets, and also some articles on the net, against various ideas expressed by Fr. Seraphim Rose. Last night I read another one, Father Seraphim Rose and the Dogma of Redemption: A Study in Neo-Nestorianism. Does anyone know of any works available which offers rebuttals to the charges made in these booklets? Considering the number of people who enjoy the works of Fr. Seraphim, I would think that someone would have written a defense by now (in addition to the ones currently published in The Soul After Death)?

Seraphim Reeves

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

On the Dogma of Redemption by Vladimir Moss

Seraphim

Sean
Faith: Old Calendar Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HOTCA

Post by Sean »

One of the contributors to that book actually advocates part of the Monothelite heresy when accusing Blessed Fr. Seraphim of "neo-Nestorianism." He states that Fr. Seraphim was a Nestorian because he advocated that there are Two Works (Energies) in Christ.
Indeed! The Orthodox teaching is that there are Two Wills and Two Works in Christ: Divine and Human, respectively; the Human being in perfect obedience to the Divine.
It's amazing how people will so freely concoct the most absurd accusations against an Orthodox monk of blessed repose, without even checking to see if their arguments are in accordance with the Seven Oecumenical Councils. What clap-trap!

--Sean

Some people prefer cupcakes. I, for one, care less for them...

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

The funny part is, you don't see any of the accusers of Father Seraphim Rose to be commemorated of Blessed Repose/Memory. Unlike Elder Seraphim, he personally has for me great signifigance of repenting from his former way of living before meeting Orthodoxy through Saint John the Wonderworker of San Fransisco. The greatest thing of all is, that this convert did not only live as an ordinary convert but entered monasticism and became a hesychastic monk who has written truly God-bearing works. He not only composed the Akathist to Saint John in Russian but also brought other non-Orthodox to the Church. Now compare the work that Elder Father Seraphim Rose of Platina to his accusers; have they done anything like that?

gphadraig

Post by gphadraig »

I was one who found Platina and the various writings of Fr Seraphim inspiring. However I did find his work on the Toll Houses disturbing and at variance with what I either learnt or had been taught elsewhere. Then there was the unedifying campaign by another against Fr Seraphim. However Fr Seraphim appeared to sow seeds which bore fruits, and which hopefully lead to his salvation. How will we answer on the Dread Day of Judgement? What will be the fruits of our endeavours?

lsaac

Post by lsaac »

Fr. Seraphim Rose was a very pious monk, as well as a very gifted teacher. His work on the Tollhouses is nothing innovative. It merely contains quotations from the Fathers and commentary by Fr. Seraphim himself. The tollhouses are ubiquitous in Orthodox teachings, mentioned by Ss. Cyril of Alexandria, Athanasios the Great, Mark of Ephesus, many many many many more. Tollhouses are mentioned throughout the prayers and hymns of the Church as well.

Fr. Seraphim of Platina was truly a luminary for the entire Orthodox Church.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Didn't the Holy Fathers teach that it isn't how we LIVED our lives, but what spiritual state of mind we are in when our lives end? Because whatever state of mind we are in at that moment, is what we take with us for the rest of eternity. Fr. Seraphim, from what I've heard, had a blessed death and died with faith in God.

We should not allow ourselves to forget God's mercy. Remember St. Paul, remember St. Cyprian (the one with Justina)? And others. God has given us many examples of His endless mercy.

I feel sad that I couldn't have met Fr. Seraphim.

In Christ,

Joasia

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)