Dozens hurt as clerics clash in Jerusalem church

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Natasha
Sr Member

Post by Natasha »

27 Sep 2004 16:25:56 GMT

Source: Reuters

By Allyn Fisher-Ilan

JERUSALEM, Sept 27 (Reuters) - Fistfights broke out on Monday at Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulchre between Christian sects that jealously guard their hold on sections of the shrine built on the traditional site of Jesus's crucifixion.

"There was lots of hitting going on. Police were hit, monks were hit ... there were people with bloodied faces," said Aviad Sar Shalom, an Israeli tour guide who witnessed the fight.

The tussle between Franciscans and Greek and Russian Orthodox clerics erupted during a procession through the church on Holy Cross Day marking the fourth century discovery of the cross which some faithful believe was used in the Crucifixion.

A Greek Orthodox cleric said Franciscans had left open the door to their chapel in what was taken as a show of disrespect.

Fighting then broke out at the wooden doorway dividing the Orthodox and Franciscan sections of the church, with clerics and worshippers punching each other, Jerusalem police spokesman Shmuel Ben-Ruby said.

Police said they made several arrests and while some people were bloodied in the fracas, no one was seriously hurt.

"This is supposed to be a festive time," Father Pandelemos, an Orthodox cleric, said afterward as he poured oil from a canteen to replenish lamps at a shrine built over the traditional tomb of Jesus.

"We are all Christians, and there is nothing to fight about," said David Khoury, a maintenance worker for the Franciscans, as he mopped the floor of a nearby chapel.

The dispute was the latest to shake the centuries-old church, where each of six Christian sects religiously guard their rights to separate parts of the edifice, as enshrined in a 1757 Ottoman era "status quo" law.

Two years ago, 11 monks were hospitalised after stone-throwing erupted between Ethiopian and Egyptian Coptic monks over rights to the roof of the church.

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

Pathetic.

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Tessa

Post by Tessa »

Sounds like something SERBS would do. :ohvey:

Господе Исусе Христа, Синe Божји, Помилуј ме грешну!

TomS
Protoposter

Re: Dozens hurt as clerics clash in Jerusalem church

Post by TomS »

Natasha wrote:

A Greek Orthodox cleric said Franciscans had left open the door to their chapel in what was taken as a show of disrespect.

Fighting then broke out at the wooden doorway dividing the Orthodox and Franciscan sections of the church, with clerics and worshippers punching each other, Jerusalem police spokesman Shmuel Ben-Ruby said.

Sounds like the GREEKS started it.

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Actually TomS, Greek Orthodox are very surpressed in Jerusalem. It is actually very impossible for Orthodox Greeks/Russians there would be a pick a fight with anyone, by all means they always get beaten up for the Holy Sites, because Heretics want to take over it. (Anyone, remember Armenians in 2002? When the Holy Fire was brought of the Most Holy Tomb on Holy Saturday, the Monophysite Armenian Patriarch attempted to rip off the candles beholding the Holy Fire from the Hands of the Orthodox Patriarch Irenaeus.) (Anyone remember also, 3 or 4 years ago, when the Orthodox Monastery of Bethlehem being taken away from the Elders there, because Fransiscans came claiming that the Jews came to close down the Monastery and there were soldiers with weapons? But the Fransiscans cared of getting rid of the Abbot, and hiding there, keeping refuge of innocent people when they behold Criminals in there.)

Actually, I'd rather say that the Jerusalimite Greeks are quite taken down in Jerusalem. Of course the Greeks in the homeland and the Diaspora except of Jerusalem are very crazy, and are expected to start every fight related to them.

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

We pray, fast, and attend church services in order to transform ourselves, to be better "warriors" in our silent struggle. But none of this means anything without being tested, without temptation. As St. John the Chrysostom says, without struggle there is no salvation.

Someone said this incident in Jerusalem was "pathetic", and it is; but what is more pathetic is me when I am put to the test. For as much as the priests and monks at the Holy Sepulchre have the appearance of "Orthodoxy", what they really are is revealed when they are "tested". Just like me, I go to church, pray, and put on a show of Orthodoxy, mostly just to fool myself, and as soon as a I am tested, a temptation arises, straight away it is revealed just how Orthodox I am.

The incident at the Holy Sepulchre came as no surprise, I see it in my own life each pathetic day. I just pray I can correct this for the final "test", when the "newspapers" in heaven report about my own life and how much I pretended to be a Christian but when put to the smallest of tests, it was revealed what an empty shell of a Christian I am.

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

My husband, who lived in Jerusalem for many, many years, says this kind of thing goes on ALL the time. As long as the church has stood.....
How very sad, and OOD is right, this is a test failed.....

Milla