Great Lent at the Euphrosynos Café

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.

Would you participate in reading a Lenten book and group discussion her

Poll ended at Mon 28 February 2005 8:40 pm

Yes and it should be in the Praxis section

15%

Yes and it should have its own section

70%

No I would not want to participate in this

15%

Total votes: 27

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Great Lent at the Euphrosynos Café

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

This year for Great Lent when we should be taking more time to do spiritual reading I thought it might be spiritually profitable for all of us to read a book together. This is something that everyone can do as a group regardless of which synod they are under.

Since the classical Lenten reading of the Ladder is a book that, like The Philokalia and The Soul After Death, generally is one that one's spiritual Father approves before one reads it, I thought we should go for a different book.

Since everyone reads at a different pace, before Clean Monday I would set up threads in either the Praxis section or a new section wholey devoted to such book reading and discussion. When one is done with a chapter of the book the could post their thoughts and insights gained from the chapter in that chapter's thread. All threads would be started before Clean Monday, one for each chapter and then one for an overview of the book once completed.

I just wanted to get an idea of how many people would be interested in doing such a project so that I can post the book's title and links to purchase it by this weekend so everyone could have the book by Clean Monday. So please answer the poll and let me know if you participate if we were to do such a thing.

Last edited by 尼古拉前执事 on Thu 14 July 2005 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

I would definitely like to do this.

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Matushka Christina

Post by Matushka Christina »

Yes and it should have it's own section.

LadyStealth

Post by LadyStealth »

Sounds good to me. You might also include with the title and author, a link to where people can order it.

Natasha
Sr Member

Post by Natasha »

Good idea :)

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

I'm definitely in. Fabulous idea.

Justin

Post by Justin »

I think that it sounds like a great idea. I had planned only to check my email during Holy Lent, and not to use any other websites, but I'd be willing to make an exception for a book-club sort of thing. Do you have any ideas yet, as to which book to read?