Does one have to be in communion with World Orthodoxy?

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

No, one just has to be in communion with the EP.

No votes

No.

43%

No, if one is in communion with those heretics they are NOT Orthodox!

33%

Yes.

24%

Total votes: 21

Methodius

Post by Methodius »

Do you think that one and one's Church have to be in communion with World Orthodoxy in order to be truly Orthodox?

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Depends on how "orthodox" world Orthodoxy is :)

EDIT -- Ok, clarification time! :mrgreen:

The term "have to" seems to me to be too vague. What does it mean? If we are asking a question taking into account extreme possibilities, and asking whether one can be Orthodox even without being in communion with "world orthodoxy" (e.g., if world orthodox is apostate or if communications are impossible), then I would certainly say that such communion is not necessary. What is necessary to be Orthodox is a right believing bishop with an actual flock, who holds to and practices the Orthodox faith, that the Church in question must have valid apostolic succession and be canonically valid in it's formation (or at least not canonically invalid), and the present existence of the Church must be valid according to the canons and practices of the Church. Communion with this group or that group (even a "grouping" labeled "world Orthodoxy") is not necessary, as I think can be demonstrated using writings from the most conservative traditionalists right down to members of the Ecumenical movement such as Georges Florovsky.

Now, if World Orthodoxy is totally Orthodox, then the question "must someone be in communion with them" becomes an imprecise or irrelevant question. The proper question would be: if someone is not in communion with them, why not? That's what I meant by my statement: if "world Orthodoxy" is thought to be wholly Orthodox, then the question being polled is not really a legit one to ask, IMO. Then again, that's just my take. :)

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Whoa...!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Interesting to see that this survey was answered with a resounding, "NO!" :mrgreen:

Logos

Post by Logos »

Does world Orthodoxy include the Orientals?

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

World Orthodoxy and Heretics

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Not at this point, however it does include some bodies like the Antiochians that commune the Orientals. A good talk about World Orthodoxy and how they want to merge with the Orientals is at http://orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/unionmon.pdf

Logos

Post by Logos »

I am concerned about all of this about Orthodoxy uniting with the Orientals. I mean it seems like word games are being played by both sides in order reunite. In fact, the Oriental Orthodox are denying that they are monophysites yet that is what many Orthodox have called them throughout the centuries. It is confusing to those who are still infants in their faith. I think all of this reunification talk is a bad thing for the world. I think man wants to remake religion is his own image. The sad thing, many people are falling for it because we live in an era where everyone just wants to get along at the cost of the truth. If there ever is unity as long as I am living between the two churches, I think many will flock to the old calendar churches that have not sold out. It is so despairing to be alive now, there is so much confusion, doesn't God care for those who are struggling to find the truth?

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

God cares. He just makes us figure it out we are called to look and find. We are a fallen race afterall. unity with heretics would make one a heretic so we must stay away from those that would make themselves guilt of heresy for unitys sake