Vegetarianism as a sign of Piety?

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

joasia wrote:

So you think that the Holy Fathers are wrong?

Yes.

joasia wrote:

At least nobody can accuse you of being a hypocrite.

Who would dare such a thing??!!!

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

TomS,

You said, "The point is - if Christ ate meat then it can't be a bad thing."

This may or may not be true, but one thing is for sure, Christ also fasted, and even stricter than we do. So don't cite the actions of Christ only when they favor your new ideas.

Following the churches fasting guidelines is not at all Vegetarianism in the common way this is understood. Vegetarians are people who follow their own will, whether that be not eating meat because they "love" animals, or perhaps because it is part of some kind of new diet fad.

Contrary to that, following the Churches fasting guidelines is following the Will of Christ.

Yes Tom, I know, you will object to the Will of Christ being equated to the teaching of the Church; I think before you (or anyone) call yourself Orthodox, which is to say you have accepted the Church, you need to stop questioning Her - this goes not only for everyone, but especially to new calendarists.

The only way we are saved Tom is by submitting ourselves to Christ through His Church in every way, and to stop our ceaseless questioning of His authority. This questioning is in fact, after all, the reason why man fell from unity with God in paradise. It must be out of humility that we say, "perhaps I don't understand the gift and Mystery of fasting, and that one day it might be revealed to me, in the mean time I must trust the Church."

If meat doesn't stir up the passions, then you should have no problems fasting from it.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

CHRIST IS RISEN!

Tom,

I was wrong to use the word hypocrite. Forgive me. That is someone who pretends to be what he is not. You are not pretending.

But, where you question, who would dare to accuse....aren't you doing the same thing? You accuse the Holy Fathers of being wrong.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Reader Benjamin

Post by Reader Benjamin »

Tom S. Wrote
I am not disputing the fact that the Fathers thought this, but they were wrong.

How do you know that they are wrong?

Tom S. wrote
So, what are you saying - that to be an Orthodox Christian you should not eat meat?

This is what I said

Eat meat, but grow in faith. Do not give the person who does not eat meat a hard time because he does not eat meat, even if he gives you a hard time for eating meat. To bear with the reproaches of others is what Jesus did, and is what we should be imitating. Love thy neighbor as thyself.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Question:

Did Christ eat meat?

I don't think that John the Forerunner, Christ's cousin, ever did. And that is why they said that Christ ate and drank.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

This thread got off topic mildly so on the question of Christ laughing, so that topic has been split off to a thread at http://euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4049

Reader Benjamin

Post by Reader Benjamin »

Maria
Question:

Did Christ eat meat?

In the Holy Scriptures it says that He ate fish. He celebrated the Passover which implies, but does not mean that He did, eat meat, (lamb). In my readings I have not seen that Jesus ate meat or did not eat meat.

That is all that I know about it. By inference, yes Jesus ate meat, but I have not proof one way or the other.