Did Christ Laugh since laughter is a worldly passion?

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Did Christ eat meat?

Maria,

To me this falls into the same realm as "Did Christ laugh?" We cannot say this because laughter is a passion. Christ never laughed.

Similiarly, but perhaps not exactly, we cannot say Christ ate meat. Meat is associated with the passions, and even though Christ was among the people and in the world, he was still the perfect "monk". I don't believe Christ ever ate meat.

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

OrthodoxyOrDeath wrote:

To me this falls into the same realm as "Did Christ laugh?" We cannot say this because laughter is a passion. Christ never laughed.

Oh wow! Dude, this has got to be the dumbest statement I have ever heard! :lol: Are you for real?

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

OrthodoxyOrDeath

TomS,

Another person who never laughed was Lazarus, after Christ resurrected him from the dead. Actually this is not true, he laughed one time while he was sitting at the window looking out. He was looking out and saw a man sneek up to a open window of a house, and there he stole a clay pot that was placed there. Lazarus started laughing. They came to him and asked, what are you laughing at? He, said, I just saw the earth stealing the earth.

Now I am basing my assertion on the fact that laughter is a passion. What are you basing your assertion on except that I am stupid? ;)

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

OrthodoxyOrDeath wrote:

Now I am basing my assertion on the fact that laughter is a passion. What are you basing your assertion on except that I am stupid? ;)

On your inability to logically follow the idea that if Christ did not laugh or eat meat, and that both of those were godly issues, that that would have been revealed to us by the teachings of the Holy Apostles and Fathers of the Church and Holy Tradition. Since as we know at Pentacost, their teachings are directed by the Holy Spirit, through which all truth would be revealed.

One or two Fathers opinions does not make Truth, nor support the idea that those teachings are of the Spirit.

OrthodoxyOrDeath

TomS,

It was revealed, especially in the life of Christ. It is not only passed down to us by oral tradition, but also in writing by the Holy Fathers of the Church. Now I know you think the holy fathers were a bunch of goofs, but Orthodox Christians don't beleive this. So maybe we should just chalk this up as yet another difference between us?

Heres a joke: They said of Abba Pambo that his face never smiled. So one day, wishing to make him laugh, the demons stuck wing feathers on to a lump of wood and brought it in making an uproar and saying, “Go, go!” When he saw them, Abba Pambo began to laugh and the demons started to say in chorus, “Ha! Ha! Pambo has laughed!” But in reply he said to them, “I have not laughed, but I made fun of your powerlessness, because it takes so many of you to carry a wing.” Abba Pambo, from Sr. Benedicta Ward, “The Desert Christian,” (New York: MacMillan Publishing Co., Inc., 1975), pp. 195 - 198

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

OrthodoxyOrDeath wrote:

TomS,

It was revealed, especially in the life of Christ. It is not only passed down to us by oral tradition, but also in writing by the Holy Fathers of the Church.

Please cite some of these examples.

Weeping is also a passion, and yet we know that Christ did that. Does it not follow that he would also experience joy in this world?

Your conclusion is illogical.

OrthodoxyOrDeath

TomS,

Weeping or sorrow is not a passion (unless, for example, you are weeping because you love money and lost allot of it - and even then the real passion is love of money). The Holy Fathers write, "grief and tears expunge passion embued predispositions..."

Here is a list of the Passions by Saint Peter of Damaskos....
http://www.orthodox.net/confess/a-list- ... sions.html