Priest's promises at ordination.

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Priest's promises at ordination.

Post by bogoliubtsy »

In the publication "Orthodox Tradition" one of the authors states:

"In the questioning period of the candidate before the ordination, the candidate to the priesthood, in the presence of his spiritual father makes the following promise: "I promise to wear the clothing appropriate to my priestly rank, not to cut my hair nor my beard... for through such unseemly behavior I risk belittling my rank and tempting believers" (Promise #5)."

Does anyone know if this "promise" is still in effect? I've never heard of this before.

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

You may have never heard of it before, but certainly you have seen it and know it to be true for all priests up until now with rare exception.

Those of the syncretist "church" who dissect, re-examine, and dismember anything and everything according to their rationalist system do so in "vain deceit". So while they strive to be comfortable and to "fit in" to this world with their pretty goatees, their Gilette aftershave, and neatly manicured hair, they are chasing the vain glory of the world and not the glory of God.

All of these traditions are in the name of Him Who came into the world to save the lost sheep - the men of vain knowledge - from the burden of their sinful minds, crying: Come unto Me all you who dissect theology in the name of Christ and His Gospel, which only the simplest heart experiences; while those rationalists who can think of every excuse not to follow the traditions and examples of the Holy Fathers have been wandering around in the maze and the darkness of their own wisdom, far from the Christ they have forgotten, engulfed by the vanities of their own intellects. Their hearts no longer feel the breath of God; they are deadened and dried up by their self-conceited wisdom for which men honor them.

"When the good shepherd putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth forth before them, and the sheep follow him for they know his voice" (John 10:4)

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Post by Anastasios »

OOD:

I have a beard and if I were a priest I would wear my riassa BUT don't you think you could express yourself without sounding so judgmental and fanatical? I mean really, you sound like you are giving a sermon.

Vainglory, not following God, etc. etc. etc..... you don't know their reasons if they trim their beard or don't wear a cassock. Try encouraging them to do so (like the author of "The Blessed Rasson" did) instead of beating them over the head.

anastasios

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

Christ is Risen,

Anastasios,

I agree with you 100%. I think priests should wear beards, long hair, rassos etc. but the approach of OOD isn't going to win over many converts. It was the LOVE of Truth and of all people that won me over to the traditionalist camp, not "I'm better than you" attitudes.

Nektarios

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

It is interesting though that Saint Patriarch Tikhon did give a blessing for clergymen in America to shave and wear clergy suits.
However, that was one hundred years ago when the world was much smaller and the sight of a traditionally dressed Russian Orthodox Priest could probably cause old American ladies to go into fearful convulsions. Anyway, things have changed...but it is interesting that he gave a blessing for this.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Peter J. Hatala wrote:

It is interesting though that Saint Patriarch Tikhon did give a blessing for clergymen in America to shave and wear clergy suits.

I hear this stated but have never seen this document. What I have heard however is that he said that the above things could be done if needed to hold down a job. Ekonomia for job purposes I can totally understand.

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Anastasios,

I was not attempting to convince new-calendarists to wear traditional clothes - I can assure you that I prefer the ability to see them coming for the sake of Christ's flock. The only thing better would be for them to put on a papal tiara :wink:

So my response was not missionary work, it was really just disorganized mental notes on the mindset that drives people who would do away with the oath in question.

It may seem "fanatic", but I suppose it to be absolutley nothing compared to the inquisition we will all feel when the pure light of the Lord penetrates our hearts and reveals everything.