In Response To Slander Of Elder Ephraim

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Kollyvas
Protoposter

Interesting links on poem site:

Post by Kollyvas »

I wonder whose also behind this slander?! After all what does an ostensible criticism of the Eldership of Geronda Ephraim have to do with the Orthodox teaching of the Toll Houses? Who is synaxis press again?! Wasn't its founder deposed by ROCOR as a Deacon?
R
It's so odd, but other links on the poem site link directly back to goal or allude to ahepa involvement...Now, who woul want to siderail this type of information from getting out?

http://www.concernedpoem.com/sections/Resourcesandlinks

AERIAL TOLL HOUSES LINKS:

Aerial Toll Houses is a teaching that is predominant in the Fr. Ephraim Monasteries that are recognized by many as part of the theology of the Greek Orthodox Church.

Start at the top of the list and work your way down:

Link: Orthodox Christian Information Center (Conduct Search: Aerial Toll-Houses)

Link: Aerial Toll-Houses: Myth or Illumination

Link: Against the Gnostic Story of Judging Demons: the Aerial Toll-Houses

Link: Fr. Seraphim Roses's Error

Link: Dangers of Eschatological Speculation

Link: St. Theodora's Journey Through the Aerial Toll Houses

Link: Fr. Panagiotes Carras Letter

Link: Paulicans (Scroll down to Aerial Toll Houses)

AERIAL TOLL HOUSES BOOK RESOURCES:

The Soul After Death/ Fr. Seraphim Rose/ St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood/1980

You can purchase The Soul After Death at: http://www.amazon.com

The Aerial Toll House Myth: The Neo-Gnosticism of Fr. Seraphim Rose/ Rev. Dr. Michael Azkoul & Presbytera Irene Matta, M.Th. / Synaxis Press/ 2005

The Tale of Basil the New and the Theodora Myth: Study of a Gnostic Document and General Survey of Gnosticism / Archbishop Lazar Puhalo/ Synaxis Press/1992

You can purchase these two books at: Synaxis Press (Once at this site click on the “Book List” tab)

Tessa

Post by Tessa »

Well I left a long message with Ms. Coal today. her last name is pronounced "shole" I think but I know I just spelled it wrong. She called me back and I was in the middle of surgery (at work). Thankfully, I was able to take the call and we were able to talk. She was very cold sounding as I expressed my views on their biased story. I mentioned it was not fair that fringe elements were being given airtime and the majority who support our Tradition are being pushed aside. She specifically said, and I quote, "I don't know where EVERYONE is getting this infomation from". That makes me feel like a lot of people are expressing concern. She said they got a statement from the Archdiocese and interviewed Fr. Anthony for several hours and also took footage of the grounds. I mentioned that I thought "grounds" was a less biased word than "compound", and that maybe they should use it. "Compound" is reminiscent of Waco. Anyway, it didn't go anywhwere with her but at least I voiced my opinion.

Gospodi pomiluy!

In Christ,
tessa

Господе Исусе Христа, Синe Божји, Помилуј ме грешну!

Kollyvas
Protoposter

Statement Of Fr. Demetrios Carellas Regarding TV Coverage

Post by Kollyvas »

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ Jesus,

The blessings of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ be with all of you!

First, let me thank you with all my heart for the swift and excellent letters many of you have sent to KVOA TV regarding their so-called "investigative report" on St. Anthony's Monastery. It is necessary to make these comments to all, as I do not have time to answer all of you in this detail.

To begin with, it seems that most of you have received either one of two "canned" replies to your e-mails. It is obvious that they received so many complaints, rather than address the specific and varied comments you have made, they chose to give you a brief and very generic response.

Next, the "Fr. Anthony," whom they interviewed is not one of the monks. He is a retired priest at the Greek Orthodox Church in Tucson, AZ. Although he is supportive of the Monastery, how can he describe the daily life of the monks? Why did they not allow one of the monks to show them around the Monastery and answer their questions (I was told they were offered that option but refused.)?

It is not necessary for me to see the interviews to declare - categorically - that their claim of a balanced report is ludicrous for several reasons. For example, how can someone that has no understanding about the Orthodox Church in general, or the Athonite Monastic tradition in particular, say anything of credibility about what is going on at St. Anthony's? Furthermore, in order to be "balanced," since there are probably at least a thousand people that can be offered to totally contradict the views of anyone who thinks like David Smith, then they would need to have those 1,000 opinions - not one or two - to make their presentation a "balanced" one.

Finally, they have no right to judge our Faith and our Monastic traditions. Do you think they would do such a report against a very popular Muslim Imam, about whom someone spoke in negative terms? May God forgive them for this action against Him and His Church!

+Fr. Demetrios

Kollyvas
Protoposter

From Fr. Demetrios: "Just As We Thought..."

Post by Kollyvas »

Fr. Demetrios,

Code: Select all

We live in Tucson and moved to Tucson specifically to be near the monastery.  We just saw the first segment on TV. You are right, there was nothing about Orthodoxy and how monasticism fits in with our Holy Orthodoxy.  They did not describe at all the monastic life or talk to the hundreds of families that live near the monastery and love it.  They left the segment with,"Where does the monastery get the money..."  That will be tomorrow night. 

(Looks awfully similar to the goal-ahepa approach of the past, does it not?! I'm surprised the "journalist" didn't mention the Toll Houses, but perhaps puhalo is still busy suing the government of Canada over its "acquiescence to imminent American conquest." LOL!--R)

I must reiterate:
Well, I think that says it all. And it illustrates what's going on. I have further contact info which I am presenting with the request that my Orthodox brothers and sisters call in and demand recognition of the rights of Orthodox believers to fairness in America. Let them know WE ARE NOT SECOND CLASS CITIZENS! Please, do your part...

Contact her and voice to her your concerns over her bias which slanders your Faith and disregards your religious sensibilities @
kchoal@kvoa.com
bstone@kvoa.com
1-520-624-2477
The first one is Kathleen Choal who is the lead reporter
The second her second in charge

Contact, her boss Gary Nielsen @ 1.520.792.2270 and inform him you are aware of your constitutional rights and demand that his press organization respect them with its reporting.

Contact NBC News national and voice your concerns over biased reporting which is disparaging to Orthodox Christianity and the religious sensibilities of believers. Indicate to them that the First Amendment was written to prevent such shamelessness:
http://www.nbc.com/Footer/Contact_Us/

In the LOVE of Christ,
Rostislav Mikhailovich Malleev-Pokrovsky

Kollyvas
Protoposter

puhalo's sectarian involvement...

Post by Kollyvas »

Below is what is presented on a vehemently anti-Elder Ephraim site which in the past has cooperated with goal, pokrov, poem (ahepa). puhalo's protestant ravings are clearly visible to all and unmask what his "partizans" are really talking about when they allude to "academic freedom." It has been brought to my attention that Mr. puhalo (he was DEPOSED as a DEACON while in ROCOR) has been on a fishing expedition, encouraging people liike david smith to "speak out" and encouraging embellishments and "memories" where they may not be. Concerned members of the OCA should contact +Metropolitan Herman and the Holy Synod of Bishops. Contact information for the JP Bishop is at the bottom and the Archbishop is VERY concerned about the activities of some of his clergy. Please contact him and make your concerns known about certain members of his clergy who are collaborating with mr. puhalo's work.
Orthodoxia I Thanatos!

http://www.rickross.com/reference/ephra ... aim11.html
...The "Aerial toll-house" myth gives the Gerondas the power of supererogatory merits and leaves people guilty of sins--"which they did not know were sins or, which they forgot to confess to the Geronda and receive his forgiveness for." Such sins, we are told, will cause the demons of the "Aerial toll houses" to seize a soul on its way to heaven and take it screaming to hell.

Surely this is a dangerous form of cultism.

Our press has produced three books refuting this tale:...

(Would you like to buy a watchtower? LOL!!! R)

... Marriage is "dirty"?
Men tell me that they went to a Father Ephraim monastery expecting to hear about the love and compassion of Jesus Christ, but instead heard that marriage is "dirty." ...

THIS ENTRY ON rick ross' site IS DATED:
...Two troubling teachings reported
April 1, 2000...

Note: BEFORE david smith's 2004 letter and his current fiction and what he has on his site, BUT ALMOST EXACTLY WHAT david smith IS SAYING on his site. I give you all the culprit of david smith's slander. Please contact +Metropolitan Herman.

ORTHODOXIA I THANATOS!

OCA Contact Info: (Inform the OCA you disapprove of the unsanctioined maneuvering some of its retired staff are engaging in.)

http://www.oca.org/HSepiscopacy.asp?SID=7#primate

The Episcopacy | The Primate | Diocesan Bishops | Auxiliary Bishops | Retired Bishops
Dioceses | Biographies | Primates of the OCA | Primatial Elections in the OCA
The Episcopacy

The Holy Synod is the supreme canonical authority in the Church. It includes, as voting members, all the diocesan bishops of the Church. The Metropolitan is the ex officio Chairman of the Synod. In case of his absence, a Chairman is elected by the diocesan bishops present.

The Holy Synod meets twice annually, in the autumn and in the spring. Special sessions may be called by the Metropolitan on his own initiative, or at the request of at least three diocesan bishops. [Statute of OCA: Article 2 - The Holy Synod]

His Beatitude, Metropolitan Herman acts as the Chair.
His Grace, Bishop Seraphim acts as the Secretary.
The Primate

The Most Blessed Herman
Archbishop of Washington and New York
Metropolitan of All America and Canada

New York Residence:
PO Box 675, Syosset, NY 11791-0675

Washington, D.C. Residence:
Massachusetts Ave, NW, Washington, D.C. 20007

Office: 516-922-0550
Fax: 516-922-0954

Washington and New York Contact Information

Consecration Date: February 10, 1973
Elected Primate: July 22, 2002
Nameday:August 9
Biography: Available

Diocesan Bishops

The Most Reverend Kyrill
Archbishop of Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania and the Bulgarian Diocese

Pennsylvania Residence:
PO Box 1769, Cranberry Township, PA 16066-1769
Office / Fax: 724-776-5555

Ohio Residence:
519 Brynhaven Dr., Toledo, OH
Office: 419-693-7871

Diocese of Western Pennsylvania
Bulgarian Diocese

Consecration Date: August 9, 1964
Nameday: May 11
Biography: Not Available

The Most Reverend Dmitri
Archbishop of Dallas and the South
Exarch of Mexico
PO Box 191109
Dallas, TX 75219-1109

Office: 214-522-4149
Fax: 214-526-7170

Diocese of Dallas and the South
Exarchate of Mexico

Consecration Date: June 22, 1969
Nameday: September 21

The Most Reverend Nathaniel
Archbishop of Detroit
and the Romanian Episcopate
PO Box 309
Grass Lake, MI 49240-0309

Office: 517-522-4800
Fax: 517-522-5907

Romanian Episcopate

Consecration Date: November 15, 1980
Nameday: April 22

The Most Reverend Job
Archbishop of Chicago and the Midwest
927-933 N. LaSalle St.
Chicago, IL 60610

Office: 312-202-0420
Fax: 312-202-0427

Diocese of the Midwest

Consecration Date: January 29, 1983
Nameday: October 28

The Right Reverend Tikhon
Bishop of San Francisco, Los Angeles and the West
649 Robinson St.
Los Angeles, CA 90026

Office: 323-663-4752
Fax: 800-323-6921

Diocese of the West

Consecration Date: May 30, 1987
Nameday: August 13

The Right Reverend Seraphim
Bishop of Ottawa and Canada
PO Box 179
Spencerville, ON K0E 1X0

Office: 613-925-5226
Fax: 613-925-1521

Archdiocese of Canada

Consecration Date: June 13, 1987
Nameday: December 4

The Right Reverend Nikolai
Bishop of Sitka, Anchorage and Alaska
PO Box 210569
Anchorage, AK 99521-0569

Office: 907-279-0025
Fax: 907-279-9748

Diocese of Alaska

Consecration Date: April 22, 2001
Nameday: December 6/19

The Right Reverend Nikon
Bishop of Boston, New England,
and the Albanian Archdiocese
PO Box 149
Southbridge, MA 01550

Office: 508-764-3222

Albanian Archdiocese
Diocese of New England

Consecration Date: May 25, 2002
Nameday: March 23

The Right Reverend Tikhon
Bishop of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania
PO Box 130
South Canaan, PA 18459

Office: 570-937-9040

Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania

Consecration Date: February 14, 2004
Nameday: October 9

Auxiliary Bishops

The Right Reverend Irineu
Bishop of Dearborn Heights
23300 Davison Ave. W.
Detroit, MI 48223

Office: 517-522-4800

Romanian Episcopate

Consecration Date: November 2, 2002
Nameday: August 23

The Right Reverend Benjamin
Bishop of Berkeley
701 Park Place
Boulder City, NV 89005

Office: 702-277-1857

Diocese of the West

Consecration Date: May 1, 2004
Nameday: July 31

The Right Reverend Alejo
Bishop of Mexico City
Irapuato 53 Y Av Rio
Col Penon De Los Ban, Mexico 9, DF

Exarchate of Mexico

Consecration Date: May 28, 2005
Nameday: March 17

Contact information regarding clerics of the JP in the USA is:

Residence of the Representative of The Patriarchate of Jerusalem

Monastery of the Holy Cross
140 Main Street
East Setauket, NY 11733
Archbishop Damaskinos,
Patriarchal Epitropos
Archimandrite Maximos
Bishop: 631 751-4390
Bishop: 631 902-4910 (mobile)
Monastery: 631 246-9020
Abbot: 770 401-4600 (mobile)

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I am splitting off the toll-house parts of this thread and moving it to the proper place at http://euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506 Please take all discussion on the toll-houses to that thread instead. Thank you.

Kollyvas
Protoposter

kvoa story...

Post by Kollyvas »

Here it is:

http://www.kvoa.com/

Now let them know what you think.
R

I must reiterate:
Well, I think that says it all. And it illustrates what's going on. I have further contact info which I am presenting with the request that my Orthodox brothers and sisters call in and demand recognition of the rights of Orthodox believers to fairness in America. Let them know WE ARE NOT SECOND CLASS CITIZENS! Please, do your part...

Contact her and voice to her your concerns over her bias which slanders your Faith and disregards your religious sensibilities @
kchoal@kvoa.com
bstone@kvoa.com
1-520-624-2477
The first one is Kathleen Choal who is the lead reporter
The second her second in charge

Contact, her boss Gary Nielsen @ 1.520.792.2270 and inform him you are aware of your constitutional rights and demand that his press organization respect them with its reporting.

Contact NBC News national and voice your concerns over biased reporting which is disparaging to Orthodox Christianity and the religious sensibilities of believers. Indicate to them that the First Amendment was written to prevent such shamelessness:
http://www.nbc.com/Footer/Contact_Us/