In Response To Slander Of Elder Ephraim

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Elias

Empirical evidence of unfounded slander

Post by Elias »

Greetings to all,

I realize this post is a little late on an older subject, the subject of Mr. David Smith’s criticism of the Elder Ephraim and his monasteries; but anyone in the middle who witnessed much of the slander against Fr. Ephraim of St. Anthony’s in Arizona will find this information both interesting and important:

To begin with, I knew Mr. Smith personally: I employed him on a few occasions; we have fed the poor together; eaten together; done vigils; fulfilled our prayer rules together; our families have said Compline together on a weekly basis. I have heard from his own mouth what Fr. Paisios has told him and his wife. I also witnessed many of these conversations. I even bought the car that he claims Fr. Paisios demanded he keep in "obedience"(he alleges he lost his job over this). To put it simply, I am his firstborn son's godfather (something I was honored to do), and he is likewise godfather of my third born son. Mr. Smith also makes reference to me (not by name) many times in his posts and on his website.

Although Mr. Smith politely asked me to not post against him, as did Fr. Paisios (who said to simply pray for him), I have seen enough half-truths and outright disinformation in what I have read that I am morally obligated to do so. I wish no harm to Mr. Smith and his family; and if permitted, I wish to engage in a healthy discussion through an amicable post.

Mr. Smith, in response to the posting of his letter dated June 27th.2004, states clearly in the following quotes that this letter was private and sent only to Fr. Paisios:

“...since it was private correspondence.”

“This letter, as you can see, is one I had sent to Fr. Paisios in private.”

“...to a private letter I sent to Fr. Paisios...”

“Anyway, obviously, as private correspondence between my spiritual father and I, as it clearly states, it is a breach of the confessional [emphasis mine] to post it here, especially since this was submitted in private to see if Fr. Paisios would give his "blessing" for it to be circulated.”

“As long as you're posting my private e-mails...”

https://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/orthodox.html
October 2005, week 4, subject no. 6.

The letter Mr. Smith wrote praising the monastery was not sent to Fr. Paisios in private; it was by his own admission “to be circulated.” And this I can prove.

Unfortunately for Mr. Smith, when he stated all of the above, he had either forgotten that he sent the same letter to the Brotherhood of St. Poimen (8 days earlier), or simply hoped that they would not still have a copy of it or post it on the internet (both of which they have done). Here is a copy of that request:

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:21:46 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Brotherhood of St. POIMEN"
Subject: Re: To the brethren...On the WEBSITE:
“I was wondering if you would be interested in reading an article I wrote that is an insider's firsthand account of St. Anthony's and publishing it if you liked it. I would put it on Holy Orthodoxy [Mr. Smith’s own site], but I want it to get out to as many people as possible. Or at the very least maybe you could suggest someone who might publish it, but I would rather have you guys do it. I can't find anyone who I would trust enough to read this without running off to a chat room and blasting what's in it. I think it will help the monastery, or at least provide an eyewitness account that will stand as a witness against all the unjust slander being promulgated against them presently.”

Private? This is direct evidence to the contrary. And it proves definitely that the posting of his composition was not a “breach of the confessional”. I realize that some people will have no problem with perjury against a priest or, to quote Mr. Smith, “unjust slander being promulgated against them [the monastery] presently”.

Those who must be fair, on the other hand, consider it an insidious and unfair attack on the character of an Orthodox priest (Fr. Paisios). Sadly, this is just one example of the kind of misinformation Mr. Smith has posted on this list (and elsewhere). If permitted, I will post more examples.

Another interesting note is Rostislav’s account of Mr. Smith, which described Mr. Smith and his “situation” exactly (minus the details of his wedding).
While I intend this post for those whose minds are not completely made up on the issue, I am sending a copy of this to Mr. Smith, giving him a chance to respond (though he has already been confronted on this blatant untruth and others).

Since he has not heeded the request to correct himself, I bring as a simple but forcible witness against his behavior the commandment of the Lord Himself. I believe all parties involved, in order to play by fair rules, must at least respect this:

“...[G]o and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church....” (Matt 18 15-17)

In confronting Mr. Smith directly, I have sought a peaceful resolution of the matter. But since he has continued attacks that are unfair, I think it necessary to repulse them with the subject of witnesses. Mr. Smith’s letter of June 27th.2004, as well as others, enumerates a number of witnesses. However, NOT ONE witness who knew him during this time verifies or has verified his claims. EVERYONE who knew him during this time that has testified to the contrary. The rest have simply remained silent in the face of what seems to them exaggerated and, frankly, absurd. His “witnesses” even include former monks of St. Anthony’s, none of whom have substantiated any of his claims, to my knowledge. On the contrary, I am aware that those he names engage regularly in friendly communication with the monastery.

I am not merely providing the other side of the story, but the other side of Mr. Smith’s story in this very serious matter of slander against Elder Ephraim and Fr. Paisios, two Orthodox hieromonks.

As far as Mr. Smith’s general character is concerned, I once believed him to be someone who genuinely cared for the Orthodox faith though he has now lost all credibility. (He has encountered a number of obstacles in recent years that have frustrated him. Frustration often leads to the need to blame or scapegoat others. In that state of mind, I think it was easy for him to believe the slander he once knew to be untrue and to want to identify with it on some level.) Sadly he has played an important role in creating new slander against the Elder.

Fr. Ephraim is also an easy target, since he has not only received much slander but refuses to respond to unfounded criticism. Anyone who knows the Elder knows that he has neither time nor worries about slander. This is only natural to him, since any monk knows that demonic activity of that sort is to be identified as a distraction from prayer and promptly ignored.

Sincerely,
Elijah Gray
P.S: This letter is also being sent to Elder Ephraim’s Bishop.
http://euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewto ... 83&start=0
This is the link to Rostislav’s letter.

Elias

"The *REAL* David Smith story"

Post by Elias »

In 1998, shortly before converting to Orthodoxy from Catholicism, I was first introduced to St. Anthony's Monastery in Florence, Arizona on the Eve of the Nativity. It was a very special night, one that I will never forget. I had never seen an Orthodox service chanted with such reverence. There were no lights, only candles, and the voice of the chanter filled the Narthex with the sounds of Heaven. I was instantly addicted.

Over the next couple of years, until 2001, my wife and I went to St. Anthony's as regularly as possible. We loved the parishes in Phoenix and attended Liturgies there whenever we could, but St. Anthony's felt like home. Whenever we went there the monks were always happy to see us and always very warm and welcoming. Even still today, after having moved to the other side of the United States, when we call from our home in Florida, they get excited and are always eager to find out how we're doing and when we're coming to visit. They always wish us well and tell us they're praying for us. This is very typical for them. I can't remember ever knowing a group of Christians who care so much for the people around them.

I remember once when I was helping clean up in the kitchen after trapeza, I saw a couple of monks filling a large cardboard box with food from their pantry. I asked them if they needed help and they said they were almost done. When I asked where it was going they said there was a lady near the monastery who was poor and didn't have much to eat, so they would take her a large box of food every week to help her feed herself and her family. I found out from another monk that she wasn't even Orthodox. They had found out about this woman somehow and were taking their own food from their own cabinets to her. And it was definitely not leftovers, there was good food in there! This was typical.

When my wife and I first converted, we were dead broke and without much Orthodox literature. They would just give us books in the bookstore without asking for any money from us. In fact, not just St. Anthony's but every one of the Elder's monasteries that we have visited has given us something. At the one in Florida, I tried to pay for some books once and the monk told me, "Don't even try. Just take it. If you get really rich one day, then you can pay us back, but for now save your money."

Some close friends of ours also told me about when their business wasn't doing well and they barely had enough money to pay the bills. On more than one occasion, they said, the monks at St. Anthony's gave them food boxes to help with their large family of seven. The husband of this same family loves to tell a certain story that I always tell to people who ask what kinds of things the monastery teaches. This man had converted to Orthodoxy from Protestantism and believed that tithing was obligatory and so he wanted to know what to do with his tithe now that he was Orthodox. Where should the money go? He went to the abbot of St. Anthony's and said, "Father, I know that it says in the Bible that you should give the firstfruits of what you earn for a living to the Church, but I'm not sure if I should give it to the parish in town or bring it here to the monastery. What do you think I should do?" The answer he got astounded him, and he still tells this story with amazement to this day. It astounds me too, every time I think about it. The abbot told him, "Find the poor and give your money to them."

I've heard it said that the monks at St. Anthony's are overworked and undernourished. Being someone that was around the monastery very, very often when this rumor first started being circulated, I have to laugh. First of all, the monks are allowed to stop working whenever they want to. This is a rule of Elder Ephraim's. Being that St. Anthony's is out in the middle of the Sonoran desert and it reaches temperatures that exceed 100 degrees Farenheit almost every day during the summer, Elder Ephraim doesn't let the monks (or anyone else) work too long in the sun. And when they do work, there is plenty of water that is given out. Nice, freezing, ice cold water, as a matter of fact. Whenever I worked outside we not only got water, but all kinds of stuff. There were ice cream bars once, frozen fruit, popsicles, and anything else they could find. The monks as well as the laymen got these "refreshers".

Undernourishment, as I've heard it claimed that the monks suffer from, is no worry, either. I remember preparing the tables for trapeza one night and being directed to give all the monks a big slice of pizza each while the lay people got leftovers from earlier that day. It's also common knowledge to anyone who stays at St. Anthony's regularly that if the monks get hungry they are allowed to get something from the kitchen. I've stopped off plenty of times with the monks while they get a snack, usually a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a bowl of soup or something. One monk confessed to me once that he had tried to eat only once a day as an asceticism, so he had started skipping trapeza. Elder Ephraim found out and made him stop. The Elder told him that it was better to eat his meals at trapeza with thanks than to skip the meal.

During the time we went to St. Anthony's regularly, we had the pleasure of getting to know many, many Orthodox pilgrims from all different backgrounds.We met a Russian woman who gave us a piece of St. John Maximovitch's first coffin after telling her about a miracle that happened at St. Anthony's where St. John appeared to a teenage boy and healed him of pneumonia. We met two Greek brothers from Canada whose mother sent them to stay at the monastery for a little while because they were getting into a lot of dangerous trouble with drugs and other things. The older brother is now a shining example of Orthodoxy and is sober and holds a regular job. There was a man who used to be possessed by multiple demons. Some people I know actually witnessed the demonic activity that surrounded him before he was healed at the monastery. He is completely well now, and when I met him, he talked about his experience and admonished me to always be honest in confession, to be as humble as possible, and to pray without ceasing. He tells this to everyone he talks to about his experience. He says not hiding anything in confession is what has kept him free of the demons that once tormented him and is vitally important to Christian life.

I think the most memorable encounter though, was with a Canadian Catholic. We were assigned the same room together one weekend and being a former Catholic myself we hit it off pretty fast. We talked about Canada and Catholicism, and then the beauty of Orthodoxy. When I asked him how he liked the monastery he said he loved it. He kept saying, "Everyone's so nice to me here. They're all so friendly, I just can't believe it." He was so moved by the monks' kindness and so taken by Orthodoxy that he tried to fast from all food and drink, but he said the monks kept urging him to eat so he didn't get sick or faint. I remember this man saying that he had only come out of curiosity and didn't expect for it to affect him spiritually. He would sit in the narthex holding a prayer rope someone had given him and would weep while listening to the Services being chanted. Before he left he mentioned that he was at a crossroads. He was afraid to leave Catholicism because it was all he had ever known, but he didn't want to be without Orthodoxy. When I went back to the city I heard from him once or twice via e-mail and then we lost contact. About two years ago, while visiting Panagia Vlahernon in Florida, one of the monks and I were talking about how Orthodoxy transforms the heart and I related the story of this man. The monk knew exactly who I was talking about because apparently what had happened to him was after he returned to Canada he converted to Orthodoxy, quit his job, and then came back to the United States and was tonsured a monk at one of the Elder's monasteries.

Incidents like this go on forever at St. Anthony's. It changes people. Catholics, Protestants, even a Monophysite I know, all went to St. Anthony's to see the beauty and left transformed by the Truth and burning with the desire to become Orthodox. And all the monks do is show these people love. I myself was an overzealous convert who sometimes had fanatical views. The monks helped me change all of this. Without setting the Truth aside, they taught me to love Orthodox and non-Orthodox alike and not to spurn anyone, no matter who they were or what kind of lives they lived. They put a stop to my fault-finding, taught me the meaning of self-sacrifice, and gave me the ability to look at people with love instead of judgment. People always ask me, "What's it like there?" or, "What goes on behind the scenes?". I can only answer them by saying that it was exactly like what you'd expect a monastery to be like. Everyone would wake up at about 3am for Matins and Liturgy, which lasted until about 6:30am on the weekdays and until about 8am on Sundays. Then it was time for breakfast and then the monks went to rest for a couple of hours. The semantron would sound at about 1pm or so for lunch, and then Vespers began at 5pm followed by trapeza and Compline. Afterwards we would read, talk, or pray until it was time for bed.

That was pretty much it, day in and day out. There really wasn't anything special about the routine at all. What made it special was the monks themselves. Their kindness and their generosity never seemed to end. They were always talking about spiritually uplifting things and always encouraging everyone, whether monk or layman, to enter into the life of the Church through prayer and self- sacrifice. I guess this is why it disturbs me to see so many unfounded rumors being circulated about St. Anythony's. And from "Orthodox" Christians, no less. I've heard all kinds of wild things about the place. Somebody once called me an "Ephraimite" and said they heard that his disciples, monks and laymen, would mix the sweat from Elder Ephraim's feet with the Mysteries when we Commune.

Aside from being disgusting, this is totally untrue and I can't imagine what kind of mind would come up with such a thing. The Elder is quiet, loving, and doesn't like anyone treating him as if he were special. I've seen him refuse to see people whose only purpose for speaking with him is so they can deify him and say he's a saint. It upsets him very much when people treat him that way. He's happier when people just treat him like what he is, a normal human being. Elder Ephraim is a genuine Christian. I can't tell you how many times I've seen him working alone in the heat of the day digging holes to plant the monastery's trees and flowers. In 100 degree weather he labors all day to dig in the practically solid rock of Arizona's desert terrain. To give you an example of what kind of feat this is, let me relate the following. I'm from Florida, originally, and in Florida to dig a hole you simply put the shovel in the ground, step on the top of the head, and push. Within minutes you could dig yourelf halfway to China, so to speak. When I first went to Arizona, when I was in junior high, my dad told me how hard the earth was and how impossible it was to dig a hole. I gave it a try myself. I took the shovel and jammed it towards the ground to get a good firm start. The head of the shovel sparked and skidded across the ground not even making a dent, and Elder Ephraim plants tree after tree, and plant after plant, in this terrain. I've seen him send monks who were tired to go rest while he completes a task like this and he's in his 70's and has steel plates in each of his shins, causing him to walk in sort of a pigeon-toed fashion. He calls himself "bufo" (Greek for "idiot") in front of others all the time. He's one of the kindest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Most of the rumors I hear about the monastery come from people who have never even been there and have no intention of ever going. When I would suggest to these people that they go there and stay for a while, they always refused, so I can't imagine where they come up with this nonsense about what goes on at St. Anthony's. Yet if the monastery is so bad, it must be happening right under the noses of the hierarchs, clerics, and ascetics from the Holy Mountain who frequent St. Anthony's. Bishop Jovan, formerly the Bishop of Serbia's Western Diocese loves St. Anthony's and has been there more than once. The Serbian parish in Phoenix is always sending people there and I've seen one of their priests there visiting on his own before. The OCA parish in Phoenix as well as the Greek parishes take groups of Orthodox Christians there all the time. Bishop Anthony of the Greek Archdiocese in California goes there quite a bit when he visits Phoenix. Even a television crew came all the way from Hungary to film the monastery one time. I remember having to step over all the cords just to get to a stasidi in the narthex. Fr. Luke Dingman, the iconographer from Ben Lomond has been there, plenty of prominent chanters, Old Calendar clerics and New Calendar clerics, and all of them came happily and left happily. It's still that way today, from what I've heard from our friends who still go there on a regular basis.

The most prominent controversy surrounding the place comes from an Orthodox family that objects to their son's decision to become a monk, despite the fact that he was over 18 when he made his decision and is fully capable of thinking for himself. They've blamed his decision on just about everything but himself. The truth is, it's his decision to make. I've heard them say that the monastery is a cult and that the monks are held there against their will, but I've seen for myself that that's not true. Plus, I know two people personally who were tonsured monks there and then decided the monastic life wasn't for them. Both of them left on their own and one of them still visits from California whenever he can. In fact, his spiritual father is at St. Anthony's, the same one he had when he was a monk. Neither one of these young men (both of them were in their early twenties) was ostracized or condemned for their decision to leave.

I've never seen such a controversy over a group of people so caring and loving. The naysayers act like the monks are holed up in some remote location and force all of the monks to worship Elder Ephraim while forbidding anyone to come or go. My wife and I, along with another family, would go at least once a month (during Lent we went for services three times a week!). Many other people go as often as they can, some travelling all the way from Greece, others using every annual vacation from work to visit for Pascha or St. Anthony's feast day. These pilgrims, over the course of time, became like family to me and my wife. Every Pascha feels like a huge family reunion. I have never felt so at home anywhere else in my life. The atmosphere is one of true brotherly love and is one that I treasure more than anything else. Not just St. Anthony's in particular, but the monks at all of the Elder's monasteries as well. Every time we show up they load us with gifts, pray for us in their Liturgies, feed us for free, and never ask for a thing. They are a source of genuine Orthodox love and doctrine and I wouldn't trade them for the world. I would die for them and my only wish is that every Orthodox Christian has the same chance to experience this love, whether at St. Anthony's or elsewhere, at least once in their lifetime. I have witnessed it change countless souls, including my own, and I know that for as long as they live they will continue to exemplify the Gospel exactly as Christ commanded.

Niphon Smith

Elias

A REAL Parent of Ephraim's Monastics

Post by Elias »

Greetings,
After making my last post I went to another discussion forum and saw this:

The Tucson TV Station News "Story" on the Monasteries...
Posted by George Chondropoulos on 2/5/2006, 11:23 pm

My name is George Chondropoulos and I have a child that is a monastic at one of Elder Ephraim's monasteries -- she has been there for the last nine and a half years. My daughter, my wife and I, and all of our other children are ecstatic to have a child / sister that is a monastic. I live in Queen Creek, AZ (a suburb of Phoenix) and I own my own businesses. One would consider us to be a mainstream American family.
As the parent of a monastic in one Elder Ephraim's monasteries, I have taken the time to visit the Tucson Channel 4 TV Station. It is my understanding that other parents of monastics have and will do the same as well. The TV station has refused to enter the "other" side into this on-going debate and instead indicated that they will go with their "story" -- although they maintain it is not negative... We will see...

MY POINT: It is NOT an objective story as these reporters limited their input from exclusively POEM parents and gave no time to the other side (which by the way constitutes the absolute majority).

There will be much more data in the future supporting my position, which is that the disgrantled parents are an absolute minority, and almost all monastic parents have a view that differs that of POEM. I promise to develop lists with names and distinct data -- my family and I will not follow the anonymous practices of POEM.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! WE MONASTIC PARENTS AND OUR CHILDREN ARE HAPPY AND WE ASK THAT OUR KIDS NO LONGER FALL UNDER THE PERSECUTION OF POEM AND POKROV AND DAVID SMITH.

Link:
http://members5.boardhost.com/STANDREWH ... 99794.html
P.S.
Though I have provided a link to the above letter, this forum has a bad habit of eliminating post they deem "offensive" and have done this to Mr. Smith's benefit in the past. I will show examples of this in the future.
Sincerely,
Elijah

Kollyvas
Protoposter

Reporter Contact...

Post by Kollyvas »

Christ is in our midst!
He is and ever shall be!
Having just now contacted the reporter on the "investigative piece," I ascertained the following from her via phone conversation:
1). Only one spokeperson for the monastery is included, a "Fr. Anthony." No one else was contacted and she has no interest in discussing that. She maintains, "If I have further questions, I will contact you (them)."
2). She has not pursued in any way a study on Orthodoxy, Orthodox monasticism, or Orthodox literature. What she will be presenting are decontextualized quotes attributed to the Elder that david smith has put forward. She has approached no scholars, no one with credential to comment on the pieces.
3). She unapologetically says her report includes spokespeople from poem & mr. david smith but maintains "there was no need to talk to their counterparts on the other side." She wouldn't explain why.
4). She has no concern for the rights and sensibilities of believing Orthodox Christians. She feels that presenting Orthodoxy in a biased and negative light is not religious persecution. When asked if she would pursue the same type of reporting on Jewish or Buddhist institutions, she abruptly changes the subject.
5). When posed with whether or not she was aware that the deposed King of Greece and members of the Greek government respected the spiritual discernment of Elder Ephraim and that he had thousands of spiritual children in Greece and abroad and that he was partially responsible for monastic renewal on Mt. Athos, her answer was, "I'm aware he might think that..." When I pressed further and asked if she had researched that side to the story, she again tried to abruptly change the subject.
6). She was not in any way interested in interviewing anyone who had anything positive to say about the monastery, reiterating that "her report should be watched."

Well, I think that says it all. And it illustrates what's going on. I have further contact info which I am presenting with the request that my Orthodox brothers and sisters call in and demand recognition of the rights of Orthodox believers to fairness in America. Let them know WE ARE NOT SECOND CLASS CITIZENS! Please, do your part...

Contact her and voice to her your concerns over her bias which slanders your Faith and disregards your religious sensibilities @
kchoal@kvoa.com
bstone@kvoa.com
1-520-624-2477
The first one is Kathleen Choal who is the lead reporter
The second her second in charge

Contact, her boss Gary Nielsen @ 1.520.792.2270 and inform him you are aware of your constitutional rights and demand that his press organization respect them with its reporting.

Contact NBC News national and voice your concerns over biased reporting which is disparaging to Orthodox Christianity and the religious sensibilities of believers. Indicate to them that the First Amendment was written to prevent such shamelessness:
http://www.nbc.com/Footer/Contact_Us/

In the LOVE of Christ,
Rostislav Mikhailovich Malleev-Pokrovsky

Kollyvas
Protoposter

From Father Demetrios Carellas

Post by Kollyvas »

It is truly a crime what this station plans to do tomorrow and Wednesday. They are basing there so-called "investigative report" on the words of 4 people who are against the Monasteries. They were invited to come to the Monastery to see for themselves, and to interview one of the priests there, but they refused. If you have ever received benefit from visiting any of Geronta Ephraim's monasteries, please consider sending an e-mail to one of the 3 addresses below. In reality, this is an attack on the Orthodox Church in general and not simply on my Geronta and the 17 Monasteries that he has estabished - with the blessings and support of at least 5 different Hierarchs - over the past 16 years.

+Fr. Demetrios Carellas

KVOA Channel 4 – Tucson, AZ

News Desk: (520) 624-2477

News Fax: (520) 884-4644 or (520) 620-1309

Emails Contacts

Kathleen Choal – News Director – kchoal@kvoa.com

Brad Stone – Assistant News Director – bstone@kvoa.com

Kristi Tedesco – Reporter on this “story” – ktedesco@kvoa.com

Ask for (or send faxes to the attention of) Kathleen Choal, News Director or Kristi Tedesco, Anchor/Reporter). Kristi Tedesco is the reported that made the “investigative report” about St. Anthony’s Monastery and Elder Ephraim monasteries.

The ads for this upcoming story have been calling the monastery a “multi-million dollar COMPOUND in the desert…) and they show David Smith (a disturbed ex-visitor at St. Anthony’s) who makes claims of teachings about a shadow government and anti-Semitism, all of them by Elder Ephraim and Fr. Paisios…

These ads are called “teasers” so people can tune in and see the story which they intend to run Tue and Wed evening, at 10:00 pm, as part of their nightly newscast. When contacted, Channel 4 News indicates that the story is really not as negative as the ads / teasers (i.e., they are just trying to lure in viewers). Bottom line, they create a FALSE negative impression which will most certainly have a lasting effect. They simply can not understand that Elder Ephraim’s monasteries are part of a 2,000-year old religion which has an organized hierarchy, being under a Metropolitan, and an Archdiocese and a Patriarchate. Their mischaracterization of the monasteries and defamatory statements, implied or otherwise, constitute a complete condemnation of Orthodoxy at large.

Furthermore, their reporting does NOT include any monastic parents other than those who have an anti-monastic agenda “because they lost heir son or daughter who became monastics.” It should be noted that there are only 2-3 parents they interview and this other unstable person, David Smith, a young man with severe psychological problems, drug issues as well as immense difficulties in all facets of his life.

--Panos

Elias

RESPONSE FROM METROPOLITAN GERASIMOS/ ELDER EPHRAIM!!!!!

Post by Elias »

PRESS Response to KVOA in Tucson, AZ
Care of Ms. Kristi Tedesco

February 6, 2006

For Immediate Release

415-753-3075

ST. ANTHONY’S MONASTERY IN FLORENCE, ARIZONA

Monasticism has traditionally been considered to be a place of spiritual renewal and focus of worship where either men or women could draw together dedicating themselves to a life of service, prayer and worship. Monasteries have existed in some form in the Orthodox Church since the second century when St. Anthony the Great went into the Egyptian desert and initiated this life.

In 1982, the first monastery in America was established in Hayesville, Ohio. Since that time, there are just under twenty monastic communities located around the United States and Canada which are canonically recognized by the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Constantinople and sponsored by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. Hundreds of men and women are answering their personal calling to serve God in this special way. In the summer of 1995, six monks arrived from an area of Greece known as Mount Athos to establish St. Anthony's Monastery in southern Arizona.

Recently, there have been accusations against Elder Ephraim who helped to establish many monasteries worldwide. These monasteries follow the coenobitic rule of monastic life as most Orthodox monasteries do. A monastery is coenobitic when the brotherhood of monks and novices hold all things in common, follow a daily schedule of prayer and work under obedience to their abbot. This last point is where the accusations seem to center. They center upon issues taken with the guidance and words of Elder Ephraim and Father Paisios, the Abbott of St. Anthony's Monastery. One part of the difficulty of this situation lies between how society views life and how traditional monasticism views life.

His Eminence Metropolitan Gerasimos, the reigning Hierarch of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco, has personally spoken with many of these people to try to discover the truth. He has made visits to the monasteries to meet with their leadership and with the monastics and has met with some of their parents.

Our investigations of these accusations of anti-Semitism and abuse have been conducted on several levels. Many meetings, interviews and discussions have occurred with novices, monks and nuns, parish priests, with those who are considering monasticism as a life choice, and with both the parents of monastics who do not support their children’s decisions and with parents who do support their children’s decisions. All parties have strong views and are passionate about what they believe. We have not found evidence of anti-Semitism in practice at any of our monastic communities or our parishes.

Metropolitan Gerasimos states “The Church is an institution of love. As such our continuing commitment is to seek out the truth, to ensure that no one under the age of majority (18 years of age) is admitted as a novice, and to maintain a process of admission to monastic life that is free of abuse and manipulation. Furthermore, we will enforce the right of any monastic or novice to leave their monastery if that is their choice.”

Metropolitan Gerasimos is the Spiritual Head of all Greek Orthodox parishes and monastic communities in seven western states; including, California, Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and Hawaii.

30 ###

Tessa

Post by Tessa »

I am trying to reamin composed after reading all these things. The devil is always at work. I will call these people today and voice my opinion.

It brings to mind the last (or the issue before last) issue of National Geographic had about "Buddhism in America". They showed among other things Buddhist monks in various American cities, from Seattle to Sedona. And how they live a life of prayer and good deeds-they've even set up a hospice in California. Here I am thinking, look at these crazy idiots! Orange robes, shaved heads. I guess as long as it has nothing to do with Christ, it's ok. :ohvey:

Well it's time for us to take a stand.

I am going to St. Archangel Michaels' shrine after I drop my kid off at school to light a candle pray for God to protect our persecuted Orthodox Brothers and Sisters.

May God have mercy on us all.

In Christ,
Tessa Miljanic

Господе Исусе Христа, Синe Божји, Помилуј ме грешну!