Prayers For Purity

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Грешник
Sr Member

Prayers For Purity

Post by Грешник »

Prayers For Purity

DEDICATION

TO

METROPOLITAN
PHILARET

First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad, Prayerful Shepherd of the Flock Entrusted To Him by the Chief Shepherd Christ, Stedfast Confessor of the Orthodox Faith in These Times of Apostasy, and Guardian Angel of the Youth of the Church.

Eternal Memory!

PRAYERS TO BE READ WHEN
IT HAPENETH THAT ONE
IS TEMPTED IN SLEEP
BY THE MALICE OF THE DEVIL

Code: Select all

Arising from bed, make three prostrations, saying,
 O God be merciful to me a sinner.
 In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
 Glory to thee, O God, Glory to Thee.
 Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth, Who art everywhere present and fillest all things, O Treasury of good things and Giver of Life: Come and dwell in us, and cleanse us of all impurity and ave our souls O Good One.

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.
All Holy Trinity, have mercy on us. Lord be gracious unto our sins. Master, pardon our iniquities, O Holy One visit and heal our infirmities for Thy names sake.

Lord have mercy.
Lord have mercy.
Lord have mercy.

Glory to the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Our Father, Who art in the heavens, hallowed by Thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors; and lead us not into temptation. but deliver us from the evil one.

Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us. Amen.

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

O come let us worship God our King.
O come let us worship and fall down before Christ our King and God.
O come let us worship and fall down before Christ Himself, our King and God.

PSALM 50

Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great mercy; and according to the multitude of Thy compassions blot out my transgression. Wash me thouroughly from mine iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my iniquity and my sin is ever before me. Against Thee only have I sinned and done this evil against Thee, that Thou mightest be justified in Thy words, and prevail when Thou art judged. For behold, I was conceived in iniquities and in sins did my mother bear me. For behold, Thou hast loved truth; the hidden and secret things of Thy wisdom hast Thou made manifest unto me. Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop and i shall be made clean. Thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow. Thou shalt make me to hear joy and gladness; the bones that be humbled they shall rejoice. Turn Thy face away from my sins, and blot out mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from Thy presence and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation, and with Thy governing pirit establish me, I shall tach transgressors Thy ways and the ungodly shall turn back unto Thee. Deliver me from blood-guiltiness, O God, Thou God of my salvation; my tongue shall rejoice in Thy righteousness. O Lord, Thou shalt open my lips and my mouth shall declare Thy praise. For if Thou hadst desired sacrifice, I had given it; with whole-burnt offerings Thou shalt not be pleased. A sacrifice unto God is a broken spirit; a heart that is broken and humbled God will not despise. Do good, O Lord, in Thy good pleasue unto Sion and let the walls of Jerusalem be builded. Then Thou shalt be pleased with a sacrifice of righteousness, with oblation and whole-burnt offerings. Then shall they offer bullocks upon Thine altar.

PSALM 142

O Lord, hear my prayer; give ear unto my supplication in thy truth; hearken unto me in Thy righteousness. And enter not into judgement with Thy servant, for in Thy sight shall no man living be justified. For the enemy hath persecuted my soul; he hath humbled my life down to the earth. He hath sat me in darkness as have been long dead, and my spirit withinme is become despondent; within me my heart is troubled. I remembered the days of old, I meditated on all Thy works, I pondered on the creations of Thy hands. I stretched forth my hands unto Thee; my soul thirsteth after Thee like a waterless land. Quickly hear me, O Lord; my spirit hath fainted away. Turn not Thy face away from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit. Cause me to hear Thy mercy in the morning; for in Thee have I put my hope. Cause me to know, O Lord, the way wherein i should walk; for unto Thee have i lifted up my soul. Rescue me from mine enemies, O Lord, unto Thee have I fled for refuge. Teach me to do Thy will, for Thou art my God. Thy good Spirit shall lead me in the land of uprightness; for Thy Name's sake, O Lord, shalt Thou quicken me. In Thy righteousness shall Thou bring my soul out of affliction, and in Thy mercy shalt Thou utterly destroy my enemies. And Thou shalt cut off all them that afflict my soul, for I am Thy servant.

PSALM 69

O God, be attentive unto helping me; O Lord, make haste to help me. Let them be shamed and confounded that seek after my soul. Let them be turned back and brought to shame that desire evils against me. Let them be turned back straightway in shame that say unto me: Well done! Well done! Let them be glad and rejoice in Thee all that seek after Thee, O God, and let them that love Thy salvation say continually: The Lord be magnified. But as for me, I am poor and needy; O God, come unto mine aid. My helper and my deliverer art Thou, O Lord; make no long tarrying.

DOXOLOGY

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will among men. We praise thee, we bless Thee, we worship Thee, we glorify Thee, we thank Thee for Thy great glory. O Lord, heavenly King, God the Father Almighty; O Lord, the only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. O Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father, that takest away the sins of the world. Receive our prayer, Thou that sittest at the right hand of the Father, and have mercy on us. For Thou alone art holy, Thou only art Lord, Jesus Christ, to the glory of God the Father. Amen

Every day will I bless Thee, and I will praise Thy name forever, yea, for ever and ever.

O Lord, Thou hast been our refuge from generation and generation. I have said: O Lord have mercy in me; heal my soul for I have sinned against Thee. O Lord, unto Thee have I fled for refuge; teach me to do Thy will for Thou art my God. For in Thee is the fountain of Life; in Thy light we shall see light. O contine Thy mercy unto them that know thee. Vouchsafe, O Lord, to keep us this night without sin. Blessed art Thou, O Lord, God of our Fathers, and praised and glorified is Thy name unto the ages of ages. Amen.

Let Thy mercy be upon us, O Lord, as we have set our hope on Thee.
Blessed art Thou, O Lord, teach me Thy statutes.
Blessed art Thou, O Lord, grant me understanding of Thy statutes.
Blessed art Thou, O Lord, enlighten me by Thy statutes O Lord. Thy mercy endureth forever; despise not the works of Thy hands.

Unto Thee belongeth praise; to Thee belongeth worship; to Thee glory belongeth: to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages.

The Symbol of the Orthodox Faith

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God; begotten of the Father before all ages; Light from Light, True God from True God, begotten, not made, of One Essence with the Father, through Whom all things were made: Who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from Heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, and became Man: And was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried: And He rose on the third day according to the Scriptures: And ascended into Heaven, and sits at the right hand of the Father: And He is coming again with glory to judge the living and the dead; And His Kingdom will have no end: And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Giver of the Life, Who proceeds from the Father, Who with the Father and the Son is equally worshipped and glorified, Who spoke by the Prophets: And in One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I confess one Baptism for the remission of sins. I look for the Resurrection of the Dead; And the life of the Age to come. Amen.

O God, absolve, remit and pardon our voluntary and involuntary sins, in word and deed, known and unknown, by day and by night, in mind and thought; forgive us in all Thy goodness and love of mankind.
The Dismissal

Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, O Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us. Amen.

Then say kontakion for the day, if known; then the following penninential hymns:

I have sinned against Thee, O Savior, as did the Prodigal Son; accept me in repentance, O Father, and have mercy on me, O God.

I cry unto Thee, O Christ Savior, with the voice of the Publican: br Thou gracious unto me, as Thou wast unto him, and have mercy on me O God.

To the Theotokos

Do thou show thy protection and speedy help to us, and thy mercy upon all thy faithful servants, Maid; and becalm, O most pure One, every stormy wave of all vain and futile thoughts; and do thou resurrect my fallen soul, O blessed Theotokos; for I know, yea, I know, O blest Virgin, that thou canst do whatever thou dost will.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.

All Holy Trinity, have mercy on us. Lord be gracious unto our sins. Master, pardon our iniquities, O Holy One visit and heal our infirmities for Thy names sake.

Lord have mercy.
Lord have mercy.
Lord have mercy.

Glory to the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.
Our Father, Who art in the heavens, hallowed by Thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors; and lead us not into temptation. but deliver us from the evil one.

Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us. Amen.

Then the following penitential hymns are read:

As he who fell among the thieves and was sorely wounded, I too have fallen because of mine own sins, and my soul is gravely wounded. Unto Whom shall I flee for refuge, I who have brought this upon myself, except unto Thee, the compassionate healer of douls. Pour out upon me, O God, Thy great mercy.

I have come unto Thee, O Compassionate One, as did the Prodigal Son. Receive me, as I fall down before Thee, as one of Thy hired servants, O God, and have mercy on me.

Having fallen aamong the theives of mine own thoughts, my mind hath been stripped from me, the miserable one; and all my soul is terribly wounded, and I lie there in the path of life naked of any virtue. The priest, seeing me in the agony of my unhealable wounds, looks past me and doth not attend unto me. And again the Levite, unable to bear my soul-destroying pain, he too, seeing doth not attend unto me. But Thou, Who in Thy good will wast incarnate, not from Samaria, but from Maria, O Christ God, in Thy man-befriending manner grant me healing, pouring upon me Thy great mercy.

I bring to mind that fearful day, and I mourn for my evil actions. How shall I render an account to the Immortal King? With what boldness shall I, the prodigal, look unto the Judge? O merciful Father, Only-begotten son, and Holy Spirit have mercy on me.

In the valley of tears, in that place which Thou hast ordained, when thou sittest, O Merciful One, to make that just judgement, do not make public all my hidden deeds, nor shame me before the Angels; but spare me, O God, and have mercy on me.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

It is I who am that unfruitful tree, O Lord, bearing no fruit of compunction at all; I fear being cut down at my very roots, and i cringe at hat fire that in never quenched. Wherefore I beseech Thee: Before that violent moment give me repentance and save me.

Both now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Thou are the good hope of the world, O Virgin Theotokos; thy fearsome protection only do I seek. Have compassion upon me, the sinner, and entreat the merciful God ot save my soul from every threat, thou only blessed One.

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.
Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

A Prayer By the Monk Mark

O undefiked, pure, all-merciful Lord, Who in taking on Thy humanity didst free our nature from corruption; and by uniting it with that which is superior didst totally sanctify it; Thou Who unto those who confidendtly believe in Thee, the only True One, dost grant richly of Thy grace; Thou Who hast shamed that ancient and arrogant one who tripped us up in the weakness of the flesh; do Thou, the same beneficient Lord, cleanse me the passionate and sin-loving one, who hast been defiled by mine imaginations during sleep, of every impurity of body and soul. Account this not unto me as a sin, whetehr I was defiled by a dream borne of the malice of that unnamed and food-hating demon, or whether by immoderation in hurtful things, or whether by evi habit and overbearing presumption. From this time forward, strengthen me against his sinister rage by Thina all-powerful grace and preserve me above his various evil plans, maintaining the lamp of my chastity undimmed unto the end. So that, being rescued from the ticklings of aabominable passions and from the fearsome gloom of nighttime fantasies by Thy power, I may meditate day and night upon the luminous vision of Thy judgements, which are sweeter and more to be desired than honey and honey comb; and in purity of conscience, I may be deemed worthy to participate in Thy life-giving and immortal Mysteries. Through the intercession if Her who bore Thee without corruption, our most pure Lady, the Theotokos and Ever virgin Mary, and of all the Saints. Amen.

A Prayer By Saint Basil

O all-merciful, incorrupt, pure, undefiled, only sinless Lord, cleanse me, Thy useless servant from all defilements of body and soul, and from the impurity which hath happened to me becayse of my carelessness and indifference, together with all mine other iniquities. Purify me of every stain by the grace of Thy Christ; sanctify me by sending down Thy Holy Spirit; so that, rising up from the fog of mine impurities and the fantasies of the devil, and from every diabolical defilement, I might be made worthy in pure consience to open my foul and polluted mouth to praise Thine all-holy Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit; and thereby to participate guiltlessly and uncondemned in the most pure, immortal, most holy and life-giving Mysteries of Thine only-begotten Son, our Lord and God and Savior Jesus Christ; with Whom Thou art blessed, together with Thine all-holy, good and life-creating Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Another Prayer By Saint Basil or of Saint Martinianos

Again have I the wretched one been tripped up in my mind by serving my evil and sinful habits. Again I am dragged as a captive by the prince of darkness and the father of passionate pleasure; and as a slave, humilliated by his will, he forces me to serve the desires of the flesh. And what am I to do, O Lord, O Lord,redeemer and defender of all who hope in Thee; but to turn again to Thee, and sigh, and beg for forgiveness for the things which I have done. But I fear and tremble that perhaps even though I confess daily and try to avoid evil things, yet still I cease not to sin every hour, and fail to render my prayer to Thee, my God, I might yet incite Thy patience unto wrath. And who can bear Thineanger O Lord? Wherefore, knowing that multitude of Thy compassions and the abyss of Thy love for mankind, again I throw myself upon Thy mercy, and I cryunto Thee, saying: I have sinned, O Lord; have mercy on me, the fallen one. Grant unto me Thy and in help, who am sunk in the pit of pleasures; and do not abandon me O Lord, Thy servant, to be destroyed bt mine iniquities and my sins. Rather, in Thy usual goodness deliver me from the pollution and the stain of my flesh and from my passionate thoughts which in every day defile my miserable soul. Behold, O Lord my God, there is not even one place in it which isclean, but it is altogether leperous; my body itself is one great wound. Let Thou Thyself, therefore, as the healer of souls and the wellspring of life, cleanse my soul with tears which Thou shalt pour out upon me abundantly. Grant me healing and cleansing and turn not Thy face from me, lest the darknessof despair consume me as fire. But s Thou Thyself, the all-true God, hast said that there is joy in heaven at the return of a sinner, let this be unto me, a sinner. Close not the ears of Thy compassion against the prayer of my repentance; but open them unto me and direct my prayer before Thee as incense. Thou the Creator, knowest the wekness of or nature, ow easily we slip in our youth; yet Thou overlookest the sins and Thou acceptest the repentance of those who confess to Thee in truth. For Thou alone art sinless, and unto thee do we send up glory, now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

After these prayers we do fifty prostrations, saying at each one:

"O God be gracious to me, a sinner, and have mercy on me, for Thy holy Name's sake."

or we say

"I have sinned against Thee, O Lord, forgive me the prodigal."

Then we read these prayers:

Thou Who at all times and at every hour, in heaven and on earth, art worshipped and glorified, O Christ God, Who art long-suffering, plenteous in mercy, most compassionate, Who lovest the righteous and hast mercy on sinners; Who callest all men to salvation through the promise of good things to come: Receive, O Lord, our prayers at this hour, and guide our life toward Thy commandments. Sanctify our souls, make chaste our bodies, correct our thoughts, purify our intentions, and deliver us from every sorrow, evil, and pain. Compass us about with Thy holy angels, that, guarded and guided by their array, we may attain to the unity of the faith and to the knowledge of Thine unapproachable glory: For blessed art Thou unto ages of ages. Amen.
 More honorable than the cherubim and beyond compare more glorious than the seraphim; who without corruption gavest birth to God the Word, the very Theotokos, thee do we magnify.

The Prayer of Saint Mardarios

Sovereign God, the Father Almighty, the Lord, the Only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ, and Thou, Holy Spirit, one Godhead, one Power, have mercy on me, a sinner, and by the judgements which Thou knowest save me; Thine unworthy servant; for blessed art Thou unto ages of ages. Amen.

Then

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immmortal, have mercy on us.

O Most Holy Trinity, have mercy on us. O Lord blot out our sins. O Master pardon our iniquitues. O Holy One visit and heal our infirmities for Thy name's sake.

Lord have mercy.
Lord have mercy.
Lord have mercy.

More honorable than the cherubim and beyond compare more glorious than the seraphim; who without corruption gavest birth to God the Word, the very Theotokos, thee do we magnify.

To thee, the Champion Leader, we thy flock dedicate a feast of vistory and thanksgiving, as ones rescued out of suffering, O Theotokos. But as thou art one with might which is invincible, from all dangers that can be do thou deliver us; that we may cry unto thee: rejoice thou Bride unwedded.

And if the fantasy was of demonicinfluence, a priest may read this service and a layman may communicate. If, however, it occurred because of drunkeness, let them abstain from serving or communing, according to the Fathers, and seek counsel from the Spiritual Father.

Other Prayers from the Great Euchologion in Warfare Against Fornication

O God of Hosts, Who healest every illness and every infirmity among the people, be gracious unto Thy servants, and do not allow the communion of mankind with the demon. Cast out the unclean spirits' crush Satan under the feet of Thy servants; renew them by Thy Holy Spirit; unite them unto Thy Holy Church, and having redeemed them from every activity of the adversary, present them before Thy holy Altar, and account them worthy of Thy heavenly and life-giving Mysteries. For Thou art our God, the God of the penitent, and unto Thee do we send up Thee do we send up glory, to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

O Lord, the God of righteousness, my strength and my helper and my refuge in the evil day; Thou art He Who saveth in the time of tribulation. Save me, for the flood-waters have entered in, even unto my soul. I am struck fast in the depths of slime, and I have no power before the face of the enemy which oppresseth me; for he hath persued my soul, and he hath ground my life down into the earth. He hath troubled me by warring against me all the night. Let it be Thy good pleausre, O Lord, to snatch me from the hand of the iniquitous and unjust one, that I might not sin against Thee; for the fear of death hath fallen upon me, and darkness hath covered me. Unto whom shall I cry out, O Lord, and he shall not hear me? Being unjustly treated, O Lord, shall I cry out to Thee and wilt Thou ignore me? Look down from Heaven, O Lord, and behold from Thy holy house and from Thy glory. Where is the multitude of Thy compassions, aaccording to Thy mercy wherewith Thou hast borne us? O Lord, judge those who are unjust to me; be not as a man who slumbereth and as a man who is unable to save. For Thou art a merciful and man-befriending God, and unto Thee do we send up glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

A Prayer Against Evil Thoughts

O Master, Lord my God, in Whose hands are my lots, help me according to Thy mercy and do not allow me to be destroyed with mine iniquities, nor permit me by my will to follow the desires of my flesh against my spirit. I was fashioned by Thee; do not forsake the works of Thy hands. Turn not Thy face, have pity, do not sespise me, neither forsake me, O Lord, for I am weak; and it is to thee, mt protecting God, that I have come for refuge. Heal my soul, for I have sinned against Thee. Save me for the sake of Thy mercy, for upon Thee have I cast myself from my very youth. May those who war against me be put to shame, and may those who seek to seperate me from thee through immodest acts, unseemly thoughts, and unprofitable recollections be turned back. Chase far from me every filthiness which is the superabundance of evil. For Thou alone art holy; Thou alone art mighty; Thou alone art immortal, having unfathomable power against all things; and it is through Thee that every power is given against the Devil and his forces. Unto Thee is due all glory, honor and worship, to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.

A Prayer Said Before Sleep
and After Defilement in Sleep

O All-hymned Lord, Who art true and unspotted; O only sinless One, cleanse me, Thy servant, from every stain of body and soul, and make me to be undefiled by the grace of my Christ. Sanctify me by the descent of the Holy Spirit, so that as I awake from the mist of the unclean fantasies of the devil and all temptations, I may be accounted at a proper season to approach and taste Thy awesome and terrible Mysteries. For Thou art He Who blesseth and sanctifieth all things, and to Thee do we do we send up glory, to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Hymns to Various Saints Who Struggled
Against Carnal Temptations

Saint Mary of Egypt

In thee the image was preserved in exactness, O Mother; for taking up the Cross, thou didst follow Christ, and with thy deeds thou didst teach us to overlook the flesh for it passeth away, but to attend to the soul, since it is immortal. Wherefore, O our righteous mother Mary, thy spirit rejoiceth with the angels. Thou who once of old was filled with all manner of fornication art now seen today to be the bride of Christ by thy repentance. Thou didst love and emulate the life of angels. By the Crossthou didst annihilate the hordes of demons; for ths cause art thou a bride now in the kingdom of the heavens, O Mary, thou all-modest one.

Saint Moses The Hungarian

Seeking the one God in the highest, thou didst scorn all earthly things; and taking no care for thy body, thou didst courageously give thyself over to torments. Thou didst valiantly endure hunger, thirst, bonds, and confinement in a dungeon; for the sake of thy virginity, thou didst endure scourgings, the shedding of thy blood and mutilation. And now as thou standest together with the choir of the virgins before the holy Trinity, pray for the deliverance from all temptations of them that chant to thee; Rejoice, O most blessed Father Moses.

Saint Photine the Samaritan

Illumined by the Holy Spirit, and refreshed by the streams of Christ the Savior, O all-lauded one, thou didst drink the water of salvation and didst give abundantly to them that were athirst. O great martyr and peer of the apostles, holy Photine, do thou entreat Christ God that our souls be saved.

Saint Thais the Former Harlot

By asceticism thou didst make thy pure soul radiant, and by repentance thou didst broghtness of thy sacred garment, O renowned Thais. Thou didst dwel in solitude in the desert, and having emulated the life of the angels, thou didst increase thy love for Christ the Savior. Wherefore thou was glorified in the heavenly Kingdom.

Saint Pelagia the Former Courtesann

Like a fragrant rose coming forth from thorns, O Pelagia, thou wast made manifest to the Church by thy virtuous deeds and wast a source of joy for the faithful. Hence, thou didst offer thy life as a sweet-smelling fragrance to Him Who haath made thee wonderous, O righteous one. Do thou entreat Him that we be saved from every pasion, both of the soul and of the body.

Saint Zlata the New Martyr

Thou was a golden vessel og virginity and an undefiled bride of Christ, O Zlata, thou right-glorious virgin; for having preserved thy virginity blamelessly, thou didst contest for Christ in a godly manner. O gloriuos martyr, entrat thy bridegroom that we may be granted mercy.

Saint Boniface and Aglais

Thou didst fervently aspire to the good fame of the martyrs, and didst profess Christ steadfstly to the unbelievers, O wise Boniface. Wherefore, O martyr, thou didst give thy relics unto the modest Agias as an inexpendable treasure, wherefrom healing and mercy flow forth for the world.

Saint Eudocia

Having bound thy soul with righteousness of mind in love for Christ, as a disciple of the Word thou didst forsake temporal and corruptible beauty. Having first mortified the passions by fasting, thenceforth thou didst put the enemy to shame by enduring hardship. Wherefore, Christ deemed thee worthy of two-fold crowns, O glorious and righteous martyr Eudocia; do thou entreat Christ God to save our souls.

Saint Thomais

Thou didst prove to be a pillar of chastity and a model of a pure life, O Thomais of noble fame; for thou didst shed thy blood for purity's sake and didst put the dragon to shame. Wherefore do thou entreat Christ God, O all-famed one, that we be granted great mercy.

Saint Pelagia, Virgin Martyr of Rome

By the knwledge of the sacred Faith, thou didst abandon the darkness of ignorance, O Pelagia, most comely virgin of Christ. And being refreshed by His immortal dew, thou didst finish thy contest by fire, O glorious martyr, do thou enteat Christ God that we be granted great mercy.

Saint Marcella

Thu didst submit thyself the laws and the divine teachings of the Lord. O Marcella, and that didst strive to keep them blamelessly. And fearing lest thou be violated by thy father, thou didst betake thyself unto the mountains where in pursuit and search for thee, he slew thee, O undefiled bride of Christ.

Glory to Him that hath given thee strength.
Glory to Him that crowned thee.
Glory to Him that worketh healings for all through thee.

Saint Basil of Mangazeya

Thou whose relics were raised from the murky depths, raise our minds as they lie now deep in the depths of sin, and as one who fought to keep godly purity, do thou also send to us speedy help from heaven's heights, O virgin-martyr Basil, for hell's abominations threaten us on every side.

Saint Niphon, Bishop of Constantinople

In thy youth thou didst journey to that land far from the Savior, but thy repentance brought thee back to the bosom of the Father. Thou didst discern the snares of the serpent, and didst flee them on the wings of prayer. Ascetic struggles cleansed thee and made thee a worthy vessel to behold wonders beyond words and to serve the Holy Mysteries.

Glory to Christ Who cleansed Thee.
Glory to Him Who hath glorified thee.
Glory to Him Who purifies all who comes to Him in faith.

The Patriarch Joseph the All-Comely

Jacob lamented the loss of Joseph, but the brave one was seated in a chariot and honoured as a king; for when he refused to be enslaved by the pleasures of the Egyptian woman, he was glorified by Him, who behols the hearts of men and bestows an incorruptible crown.

Exhortations from Holy Scriptures to Purity

Romans 8:6-8
For to be carnally minded is death; but tio be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can it be. So they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

1 Corinthians 6:13-20
Now the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body.Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of a harlot? God forbid. What! Know ye not that he which is joined ot a harlot is one body? For two, saith he, shall be one flesh. But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. What! Know ye not that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Galatians 5:19-21
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these: adultry, forication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, swditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkeness, revelings, and such like, of the which I tell you before, as I have also told in the time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the Kingdom of God.

Ephesians 5:3-6
But fprnication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient, but rather giving of thanks. For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, have an inheritance of Christ and of God. Let no man deceive you with vain words, for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

1 Thessalonians 4:3-5
For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication: that every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honor; no tin the lust of concupiscence... For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.

Jude 7
Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengance of eternal fire.

GLORY BE TO GOD
FOR ALL THINGS. AMEN.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Rule Against Defilement (Shorter Version of the Purity Rule)

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Rule Against Defilement (Purity Rule)
Shorter Version, with 50 Prostrations

In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

O God, be merciful to me, a sinner.

O Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, for the sake of the prayers of Thy most pure Mother and all the saints, have mercy on us. Amen.

Glory to Thee, our God, glory to Thee.

O Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth, Who art everywhere present and fillest all things, Treasury of good things and Giver of Life, come and dwell in us, and cleanse us of all impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us. (3X)

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

O Most Holy Trinity, have mercy on us. O Lord, blot out our sins; O Master, pardon our iniquities; O Holy One, visit and heal our infirmities, for Thy name's sake.

Lord, have mercy. (3X)

Glory to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

Our Father, Who art in the heavens, hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.

Lord, have mercy. (12X)

Glory to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

O Come, let us worship God, our King. O Come, let us worship and fall down before Christ, our King and God. O Come, let us worship and fall down before Christ himself, our King and God.

Psalm 50

• Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great mercy; and according to the multitude of Thy compassions blot out my transgression. Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I know mine iniquity, and my sin is ever before me.

Against Thee only have I sinned and done this evil before Thee, that Thou mightest be justified in Thy words, and prevail when Thou art judged. For behold, I was conceived in iniquities, and in sins did my mother bear me.

For behold, Thou hast loved truth; the hidden and secret things of Thy wisdom hast Thou made manifest unto me. Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be made clean; Thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow. Thou shalt make me to hear joy and gladness; the bones that be humbled, they shall rejoice.

Turn Thy face away from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from Thy presence, and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me.

Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation and with Thy governing Spirit establish me. I shall teach transgressors Thy ways, and the ungodly shall turn back unto Thee. Deliver me from blood-guiltiness, O God, Thou God of my salvation; my tongue shall rejoice in Thy righteousness.

O Lord, Thou shalt open my lips, and my mouth shall declare Thy praise. For if Thou hadst desired sacrifice, I had given it; with whole-burnt offerings Thou shalt not be pleased. A sacrifice unto God is a broken spirit; a heart that is broken and humbled God will not despise.

Do good, O Lord, in Thy good pleasure unto Sion, and let the walls of Jerusalem be builded. Then shalt Thou be pleased with a sacrifice of righteousness, with oblation and whole-burnt offerings. Then shall they offer bullocks upon Thine altar.

And these troparions:

• O Kind Shepherd, Who laid His life for us, Thou who knowest all hidden deeds, that I have done, O Only Good One, guide me, who have lost the mind, and save me from the wolf, O Lamb of God, and have mercy on me.

• It is I who am that unfruitful tree, O Lord, bearing no fruit of compunction at all; I fear being cut down at my very roots, and I cringe at that fire that is never quenched. Wherefore I beseech Thee: Before that fearful moment give me repentance and save me.

• In that valley of tears, in that place which Thou hast ordained, when Thou sittest, O Merciful One, to make that just judgment, do not make public all my hidden deeds, nor shame me before the Angels: but spare me, O God , and have mercy on me.

• As he who fell among the thieves and was sorely wounded, I too have fallen because of mine own sins, and my soul is gravely wounded. Unto Whom shall I flee for refuge, I who have brought this upon myself, except unto Thee, the compassionate healer of souls. Pour out upon me, O God, Thy great mercy.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,

I have come unto Thee, O Compassionate One, as did the Prodigal Son. Receive me, as I fall down before Thee, as one of Thy hired servants, O God, and have mercy on me.

Both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

Thou art the good hope of the world, O Virgin Theotokos; Thy fearsome protection only do I seek. Have compassion on me, a sinner, and entreat the merciful God to save my soul from every threat, thou only blessed One.

Lord, have mercy. (40X)

And 50 prostrations, saying at each one:

O God be gracious to me, and forgive me the prodigal, for Thy holy Name’s sake.

And A Prayer of Saint Basil:

• Again have I the wretched one been tripped up in my mind by serving my evil and sinful habits. Again I am dragged as a captive by the prince of darkness and the father of passionate pleasure; and as a slave, humiliated by his will, he forces me to serve the desires of the flesh.

And what am I to do, O My Lord, redeemer and defender of all who hope in Thee; but to turn again to Thee, and sigh, and beg forgiveness for the things which I have done. But I fear and tremble that perhaps even though I confess daily and try to avoid harmful things, yet still I cease not to sin every hour, and fail to render my prayer to Thee, my God, I might yet incite Thy patience unto wrath.

And who can bear Thine anger, O Lord? Wherefore, knowing the multitude of Thy compassions and abyss of Thy love for mankind, again I throw myself upon Thy mercy, and I cry unto Thee saying: I have sinned, O Lord; have mercy upon me, the fallen one.

Grant unto me Thy hand in help, who am sunk in the pit of pleasures; and do not abandon me, O Lord, Thy servant, to be destroyed by mine iniquities and my sins. Rather, in Thy usual goodness deliver me from the pollution and the stain of my flesh and from my passionate thoughts which in every day defile my miserable soul.

Behold, O Lord my God, there is not even one place in it that is clean, but it is altogether leprous; my body is itself one great wound. Let Thou Thyself, therefore, as the healer of souls and the wellspring of life, cleanse my soul with tears which Thou shalt pour out upon me abundantly.

Grant me healing and cleansing, and turn not Thy face from me, lest the darkness of despair consume me as fire. But as Thou Thyself, the all-true God, hast said that there is joy in heaven at the return of a sinner, let this be unto me, a sinner. Close not the ears of Thy compassion against the prayer of my repentance; but open them unto me and direct my prayer before Thee as incense.

Thou, the Creator, knowest the weakness of our nature, how easily we slip in our youth; yet Thou overlookest the sins and Thou acceptest the repentance of those who confess to Thee in truth. For Thou alone art sinless, and unto Thee we send up glory, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

And Another Prayer of Saint Basil:

• O all-merciful, incorrupt, pure, undefiled, only sinless Lord, cleanse me, Thy useless servant from all defilements of body and soul, and from this impurity which hath happened to me because of my carelessness and indifference, together with all mine other iniquities.

Purify me of every stain by the grace of Thy Christ; sanctify me by sending down Thy Holy Spirit; so that, rising up from the fog of mine impurities and the fantasies of the devil, and from every diabolical defilement, I might be made worthy in pure conscience to open my foul and polluted mouth to praise Thine all-holy Name of The Father, of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

More honorable than the Cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim, who without corruption gavest birth to God the Word, the very Theotokos, thee do we magnify.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

Lord, have mercy (3X).

O Lord, bless.

O Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, for the sake of the prayers of Thy most pure Mother, and all the saints, save me a sinner. Amen.

Alas

Re: Prayers For Purity

Post by Alas »

Thankyou for sharing these wonderful prayers.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Yes, good idea, since one does not usually find prayers on this very important topic. The first set has a lot of spelling mistakes. I was going to correct one, which was "conscience"> But then I noticed many other typos.

Excellent. Thank YOU, Alas, for bringing them to our attention

Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

Any information about this would be a good help, would these be a good regular morning prayer rule , I am using one from holy trinity monastery Jordanville currently ,hand have also used prayers from the holy transfiguration monastery Boston.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Orthodox in michigan wrote:

Any information about this would be a good help, would these be a good regular morning prayer rule , I am using one from holy trinity monastery Jordanville currently ,hand have also used prayers from the holy transfiguration monastery Boston.

Which one would you recommend?

Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

I am new to orthodoxy, I was wondering as to what some prefer the Greek or Russian , I would like to maybe use prayers that reflect the toc Church I’m affiliated with , as a America convert.