Does ROCOR need an American convent?

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

michigan
Jr Member

Does ROCOR need an American convent?

Post by michigan »

Is there anyone out there who thinks ROCOR needs an English-speaking convent in America? Does anyone know of any plans to start one?

ORPRcamper
Jr Member

Post by ORPRcamper »

CONVENT OF NATIVITY OF THE VIRGIN MARY
P.O. Box 698
Wayne, WV 25570-0698, USA
Tel: (304) 849-4697MONASTERY OF ARCHANGEL MICHAEL, Marrickville, NSW, Australia
Superior of the community: Hieromonk Kosma

michigan
Jr Member

Post by michigan »

Since they currently consist of one nun, I'm not sure that would be a good place for someone just starting on the monastic path. To start a community that would be conducive to growth, I think one would need a core group of experienced nuns from an esablished monastery.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I doubt that they are, as they seem to be in a consolidating (not expanding) mode, but you could always ask the ROCOR bishops :)

Fwiw, St. Elizabeth Monastery in Mohawk, NY might be a place to consider. According to the ROCOR directory, they have 7 nuns there (or at least they did in 2004). Their numbers is 315-858-2208, with Nun Maria handling visits and Nun Joanna handling vocations.

Ekaterina
Protoposter

Post by Ekaterina »

At St. Elizabeth's the services are conducted in Slavonic, although they are close enough to Jordanville to have access to the English services. They have both foreign speaking and English speaking nuns. If this is what you are looking for I highly recommend visiting. Mother Maria is German from Germany, a kind soul with a big heart. I've known her for years.

Katya

pistevo

Post by pistevo »

Just to clarify: the Convent of the Virgin Mary in Wayne, WV is not the same as the Monastery of the Archangel Michael. I don't know about the Convent, but the monastery has about 3-4 monks, with Hmk Kosmas as the superior.

JAMESthePERSIAN
Jr Member

Post by JAMESthePERSIAN »

There has been some Talk by Father George Brooks and his Matushka Parasceva Brooks, of converting thier Mission Parish, Property and farmhouse into a convent in the Future. It is a lovely location in a Rural area of Arkansas, yet located conveniently. The countryside is perfect for a rural convent. The Mission Website is http://allsaintsofamerica.com

Have a look....... An English speaking convent is the talk, But I suppose the plan is to let God sort out the Details.

All Saints of America Orthodox Mission, Located in Dequeen Arkansas. The Mission strives to provide a welcoming community, in a quiet country setting, where individual members can work out their salvation and serve as a witness to the Orthodox Faith.
http://www.allsaintsofamerica.com/