Religiously Mixed Marriage

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Nektarios
Jr Member

Religiously Mixed Marriage

Post by Nektarios »

What does the Church think about Mixed Religious Marriage?
I am a lapsed Orthodox trying to come back into the church, but my wife is not Orthodox. I had a civil marriage and she agreed to have an Orthodox wedding when I get back from Iraq. Any adivce for me?

In Christ
Nektarios

CorpusChristi

Post by CorpusChristi »

Pray to God to guide you to an honorable Priest and let him,rather then us answer your question, from my experience-civil Marriage isnt recognized, BUT-yes i said BUT, it makes things easier...
because although you married outside the Church, you still showed some sort of morals, and respect to those around you, and now Its time to respect and glorify God, by Holy Matrimony in his CHURCH ...
what more could you want, Youve decided to come back to Orthodox and your wife is willing to marry you in an Orthodox Church-Glory to God for all things, the key is he has preserved you to come back and bring someone special into the church With you...That is truely a Beautiful gift from God and you should ponder on that for the rest of your life and seek his commandments and the teachings of the holy Fathers of the church for a rewarding life with your Wife to Be, both here on earth and the life of the age to come...aside from shopping for wedding rings(unless you already have some) a pair of prayer books is on the agenda to buy- May i suggest The Jordanville Prayer book, it also has some good instructions in the back..........
God`s Help for you and your comrades in Iraq, and for your wife and all of us outside Iraq...

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Re: Religiously Mixed Marriage

Post by Jean-Serge »

Nektarios wrote:

What does the Church think about Mixed Religious Marriage?
I am a lapsed Orthodox trying to come back into the church, but my wife is not Orthodox. I had a civil marriage and she agreed to have an Orthodox wedding when I get back from Iraq. Any adivce for me?

In Christ
Nektarios

Will your wife become Orthodox? If so, will it be only to have a religious wedding?

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Priest Siluan
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by Priest Siluan »

Jean-Serge wrote:

Will your wife become Orthodox? If so, will it be only to have a religious wedding?

OK, The only way that you would have an Orthodox wedding it is that your wife become Orthodox

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

Priest Siluan wrote:
Jean-Serge wrote:

OK, The only way that you would have an Orthodox wedding it is that your wife become Orthodox

Unfortunately in many world orthodox juridiction, they celebrate mixed marriages if one member of the couple is christian... Sometimes, they impose a condition : that the children be baptized in the orthodox church... However, in Georgia, the "state" church is faithful to the canons and does not celebrate mixed weddings...

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Priest Siluan
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by Priest Siluan »

Jean-Serge wrote:

Unfortunately in many world orthodox juridiction, they celebrate mixed marriages if one member of the couple is christian... Sometimes, they impose a condition : that the children be baptized in the orthodox church... However, in Georgia, the "state" church is faithful to the canons and does not celebrate mixed weddings...

Maybe they use the Economy for "gain" a whole family and being based on some words of Apostle Paul, however I believe that a correct reception in the Orthodoxy of non orthodox spouse should be the general rule and this is the Traditional practice.

Nektarios
Jr Member

Post by Nektarios »

No she does not plan on becoming Orthodox. Well if the canons says against mixed marriages then I dont really have a choice. I cant do it then. That reallys sucks. Hopefully God has different plans in mind then what she does.

In Christ
Nektarios