What Books Are You Reading?

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Justin Kissel

What Books Are You Reading?

Post by Justin Kissel »

Rather than just listing the books we're reading (which has been done to death), maybe we can list a book or two that we are reading and give a few comments? That way others know something about the book. After all, in Orthodoxy we find most of the good, edifying books through word of mouth.

Journey to Heaven: Counsels on the Particular Duties of Every Christian, by Saint Tikhon of Zadonsk (Translated by Fr. George Lardas) - This is a really wonderful book, as people could probably tell from it getting a significant number of votes on the favorite Orthodox book thread (somewhere on this site). The book is very practical and down to earth, but still has that "above earthly things" tone that comes from a truly godly person. Such chapters as the one on Sins after Baptism are particularly sobering and helpful. An excerpt from this chapter:

It is impossible to adequately describe and weep over the unfortunate condition of that Christian who has given himself over to lawless acts after holy Baptism, and commits iniquity... We must truly bewail the condition of such a Christian with much tears and weeping. For just as one washed in a bath is again sullied with dirt and mud, so likewise a Christian washed in the laver of Baptism is defiled again with iniquity... Woe to Christians that commit iniquity after holy Baptism! It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the Day of Judgement than for such Christians (Matt. 10:15)! Poor Christian, examine yourself and beware lest you become the eternal captive of the devil and destruction.

Apostolic Succession, by Fr. Gregory Rogers - this book goes over the basic references to apostolic succession in the Bible and in the early Fathers. It is very limited in scope, but half-decently informative and insightful for as "popular level" as it is. It's decidedly geared towards those who are either unfamiliar with their faith, but more so towards those who are not Orthodox yet (e.g., one gets the feeling that it is aimed towards "Bible-believing Evangelical Protestant(s)" since that exact term is used a number of times about the author.) The material is sometimes insightful, sometimes it just tries to hard to be witty, but overall it's a good, brief examination of the relevant sources. An excerpt that shows (IMO) a bad attempt at being witty:

For we are interested not simply in apostolic succession, but in apostolic success!

Doesn't "work" for me... but then I'm sure many people think the same thing when they read my writing! hehe

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Is it that no one is reading, or that no one wants to say what they're reading? :lol:

Methodius

What I am reading

Post by Methodius »

I am currently reading the Euphrosynos Cafe, which has enough information filled books that it could be considered a book in an online format. :D

Arsenios
Jr Member

Post by Arsenios »

I am reading the three books on the duties of the clergy by saint Ambrose. It is a very helpful book and very edifying for all and not just for clergy. It gives much helpful practical advice that anyone can use and not just priests and deacons.

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

I'm going to be starting The Blessed Surgeon the Life of St Luke ArchBishop of Simferopol by Archdeacon Vasiliy Marushchak today. It looks like it will be a good book. It's about his life and the struggles he went through. I will let you know what I think about it after I'm finished reading it.

MaryCecilia

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

I am reading quite a few books right now (I suffer from a terrible illness, in which I'm compelled to bite of more than I can chew, literature-wise).

Witnesses for Christ

This book is a collection of lives of the neomartyrs, mostly Greek, during the Ottoman Era. The best part about it is that these people were truly unprepared to speak (they were all fairly simple, uneducated people) and you really see how the Holy Spirit fills their words when the time comes to bear witness and die for their Orthodox faith. WARNING: some of the martyrdom accounts are downright gory, and they make one shudder. :shock:

Counsels from the Holy Mountain

I haven't been reading this one as often as I should. The book is basically advice, compiled from letters written by Geronda Ephraim to his spiritual children. It's very insightful, but hard to swallow at times, because Geronda is such a holy, holy man, and he writes things very ipso-facto, because he has enough clarity to believe, without doubt or hesitation, in doing the right thing. I, on the other hand, am a complete spiritual sissy, so when I take in what he says as truth, I still doubt my ability to follow through with his suggestions a :oops:

Brothers Karamazov

Can't go wrong with Dovsoyevsky! I can't believe how good this book is! Still, I'm barely nibbling at it, bit by bit, having other books to read, and many things to do in the meantime. I generally keep it nearby as a boredom book, for when I have to wait or have absolutely nothing else to do. The character development is phenomenal, and you really get into the story. I can't help but laugh when old man Karamazov makes a scene out of things, and I can't help but fidget uncomfortably in my chair whenever he causes a ruckuss at the monastery, in front of the fictional Elder, Zosima (who is a wonderful character himself). This is a great book so far, and I'd recommend it to anyone. WARNING: It's a big, fat, honking book! I had to replace my last copy because it broke in two, it was so big. :lol:

David1

Post by David1 »

Mary, who publishes he Blessed Surgeon the Life of St Luke ArchBishop of Simferopol?

I just finished Youth of the Apocalpyse by John Marler, formerly of the St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood. Very fascinating and much needed for many people out there today, but I think in places he phrases things as a protestant would which might turn away secularists who have had bad experiences with Protestantism.

I am currently reading a book I dismissed early on as being too elementary, Praying with Icons by Jim Forrest. I have found that I am enjoying this little book more than I ever thought I would. It is principly an introduction to icons, but through iconography, Forrest also introduces the reader to the 12 major feasts, many saints, reverence of the Theotokos, etc. I think this would be an ideal "second" book for an inquirer to read, after they have made their way through one of the standard introductions.