GOC question

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

jacqueline wrote:

I'm sure other people get what they need by attending services there. It's just not a place for me. It's a personal decision not to go. It's just not a place for me.

Yeah. Those "other people". How do you know it is not the place for you. What's the matter, they don't bow or cross themselves at the correct times? :ohvey:

You have never attended the Church, yet you make a previous post of multiple rolling eyes based upon what you read and you don't think you are judging?

Tell me, just what do the Greeks (supposedly) do (since you have never BEEN) that is so anathema to you?

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by GOCPriestMark »

Please TomS, give it a rest.

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

jacqueline
Faith: RussianOrthodox

Post by jacqueline »

I was judging myself. I'm sorry if my style of writing came off differently.

Have a nice Easter :)

"Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, and today, and for ever." ( Heb.13:8 )

spiridon

Post by spiridon »

Tom S wrote- ". What's the matter, they don't bow or cross themselves at the correct times?"

When I visited non-Russian Orthodox Church`s, that is exactly what was missing .
The piety and discipline that the russians show by Crossing and bowing is beyond any comparability on earth, it seems Heaven sent, How could it be from this world ?...Sure the greeks,serbs and romanians do a Brilliant job, and even the coptic,Ethiopian,Malankara do a superb job in there oriental orthodox service , even the western rite Byzantine orthodox have a good service and all seem to be doing good, and people seem contempt there. unfortunately for me I can only explain it in these words, and not in a judging way, but my opinion is the non Russians tried really hard to hit the spot, whatever that may be, But the Spot I aim for was missing in these others...
non-russian Orthodox Church works for many and the people there are wonderful and loving ,but some of us require and/or prefer the discipline that allows us to show(Action) our Love to God and his church, Crossing ourselves over and over and Bowing , may seem rediculous to many, but for us its a tradition we wont compromise...

1937 Miraculous Cross

Post by 1937 Miraculous Cross »

Niphon wrote:

non-russian Orthodox Church works for many and the people there are wonderful and loving ,but some of us require and/or prefer the discipline that allows us to show(Action) our Love to God and his church, Crossing ourselves over and over and Bowing , may seem rediculous to many, but for us its a tradition we wont compromise...

These pious "actions" are not just solely in the Russian Church, but also in the Geniune Orthodox Greek jurisdictions that keep the Patristic Calendar. It is not really a Russian vs. Greek matter. It is a matter of those churches that keep the Holy Traditions intact.

in Christ,
nectarios

The Apostate

Hmmm

Post by The Apostate »

jacqueline wrote:

I was judging myself. I'm sorry if my style of writing came off differently.

Have a nice Easter :)

Jacqueline, your style was fine. I'm sorry you've been made to feel that you've done something wrong. You simply asked for some help and information, and it was bad form of others to take the opportunity to further their agenda, especially when there is a separate section of the website for just that sort of discussion.

I hope and pray that you find what you're looking for.

In Christ.